HELP PLEASE … GPU HDMI = No Signal (DVI works)

Rubens
Hello guys, I'm new to this forum! 

I'm sure many of you are great problem solvers when it comes to PCs, so I need your help.

My current system:

Windows 10 PRO, 64bit

Intel i5 3570k - CPU

EVGA GTX 950 SSC - GPU

GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.1) - Motherboard

Seasonic 620w - PowerSupply

16GB(1600 Mhz) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 - RAM

The problem: When I connect an HDMI cable to my TV from my GPU, I get No Signal.

A more detailed explanation:

A few years ago I bought an MSI GTX 660 Graphics Card. The card worked just fine, connected it through DVI to my monitor... all good so far. Then I tried to connect it to my TV(32 inch LG LED) as a second monitor through the HDMI port. I got No Signal. No second monitor appearing in Display Settings, nor inside Nvidia Control Panel. Windows project to a second monitor(extended, duplicate) didn't work either... TV not recognized at all, nowhere, not even in device manager.

Then I tried the other DVI port on the GPU: that worked just fine. So 2 monitor setup worked: DVI to monitor and the TV was connected through the second DVI (with DVI to VGA adapter, because the TV has VGA). But I didn't like the idea of bringing sound to the TV with an extra cable... So I went a diferent route: I decided to connect my TV through the HDMI port on my motherboard. That worked just fine, we got signal.

So Internal GPU(HD4000 from the CPU) was supplying the graphics for the TV and my GPU was powering my monitor graphics. But I still didn't like the idea... picky...

At a later time, I tried the HDMI port on my GPU again, no success. A friend suggested I try to use the display port on the GPU and go with DisplayPort to HDMI to the TV(TV has HDMI). That didn't work either... No Signal...

In case you're wondering, the HDMI cable works just fine, HDMI port on TV works just fine. Same cable and tv port work through mobo HDMI or other sources like a laptop.

I also tried changing settings in the BIOS, with no success. Disabled the internal Graphics, disabled CSM support, tried what I read online.... no success. My conclusion: 2 dead ports on my GPU(HDMI and Display Port)... so stuck with re-enabling internal Graphics and running the TV through the mobo HDMI.

Some time has passed... a few years... And I sold my GTX 660... I bought a GTX 950. Put it in my system, latest drivers installed. Connected my monitor through DVI. All worked fine. Then I connected the TV through the HDMI port on this new GPU. Guess what? No signal... AGAIN!!! TV not detected...

What could be the problem? My motherboard? I updated the BIOS to the latest version, still no success...

I really don't know what to do...

Your help is much appreciated! Thanks!

maybe solution 1

1 rightclick desktop and press display settings

2 advanced display settings (if on win 10)

3 change resolution to 800 x 600

4 If it works, increase the resolution untill you get the same resolution as you TV resolution

maybe solution 2

try connecting you HDMI cable to annother device and see if it works

AND

try connecting something else to your TVs HDMI input

If nothing else works, you could get a DVI to HDMI converter, although you will not get sound to your TV by doing this

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Thanks for the replies!

Try adjusting over scan settings on your TV.

What do you mean exactly? Could you explain this better? I do change the input source to the right one. As I have mentioned, the same TV port and same cable work just fine when connected to the motherboard HDMI port or through a laptop.

maybe solution 1

1 rightclick desktop and press display settings

2 advanced display settings (if on win 10)

3 change resolution to 800 x 600

4 If it works, increase the resolution untill you get the same resolution as you TV resolution

maybe solution 2

try connecting you HDMI cable to annother device and see if it works

AND

try connecting something else to your TVs HDMI input

If nothing else works, you could get a DVI to HDMI converter, although you will not get sound to your TV by doing this

I do not see a second display at all to adjust the resolution. Do you mean I should change my monitor resolution? I don't think that would help... 

I did mention in my post that the same cable and same TV port work with other sources...

Also, I do have other ways of connecting things... but I wanted a fix for the HDMI... It should work. It's the second card with exactly the same problem. So the problem could be alswhere, maybe the BIOS settings or some motherboard drivers? I have all the drivers installed...

Sorry for not reading your post fully, i was in a hurry so i just copy pasted some basic HDMI fix instructions i made a while ago, but removed the irrelevant parts but forgot to remove the HDMI testing text.

Yes, i meant lowering your desktop resolution, although that wouldnt do a lot now that i think about it, because win 7 - 10 automatically searches for the source resolution, maybe you could try dissconnecting all monitors, turning off the computer, pluging in the TV into the HDMI slots, then booting it back up.

Also, are you sure that the graphic card is usable? Its pretty obvious when you start a semi demanding game or benchmark

Annother idea is to plug in the TV while you have your computer monitor plugged in, then going into the advanced resolution tab again, and looking if there are two monitors registered by windows

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Both GPUs i encountered this problem on work just fine in gaming/benchmarks. Could it be a motherboard issue/setting/driver? TV isn't recognized at all as a second monitor. I'll try tomorrow with just HDMI connected(I'm from Europe - Romania). I'll also try connecting my monitor through HDMI instead of DVI... although i've tried it on my old gpu with no success.

Guess what... the monitor actually works through the HDMI on the GPU. So I guess it's an issue regarding my TV. I found a thread where it says I have to make an update to the TV HDMI EEPROM... I'll try to make the update and let you know if that worked.

Do you guys know of any free software that allows me to overwrite the EDID of my TV? PowerStrip 3.9 does that but it costs ~$30... 

This is the post that's probably the solution to my problem(if anybody else needs this):

DVI to HDMI on new 32LG5000 - no signal?