[Patched]AMD drivers locking fan speed to 20% and killing GPUS. WATCH YOUR CARDS

Syntaxvgm

This has been patched. I'd still look out, and make sure you are up to date.

So, there is a bug with the new Crimson drivers that AMD released (not beta, final release) that lock your GPU fan speed and because of this, many users have reported playing for extended periods of time with their fans locked to 20%.
Others, like me, got their GPU burned, in my case it didn't even reboot the PC, it just crashed the screen graphics (orange bars) and I had to manually turn off the computer. When I opened the case the GPU was so hot I couldn't even remove it from the PCI-e and had to wait until it was cool enough.
So now we have no word from AMD so far, and they haven't pushed a fix for their drivers yet, so it keeps happening to other people.
I have to admit I'm really sad that I lost my card and my money, because I have no warranty anymore and it seems it's gone forever, I'm not sure I can trust AMD after this
EDIT: My card is a R9 280X and the posts are available still on the frontpage of the amd subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3up8r2/amd_bugged_new_drivers_killed_my_gpu_and_others/

DiscussionShould AMD remove current edition of Crimson drivers from their download site? self.Amd
Submitted 
3 hours ago  by zakusten AMD FX-8350 | MSI R7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC

I know people would still be able to download them from unofficial sources, but I think the fan speed bug is serious enough to warrant a driver recall. Yes, they will take a PR hit if they do that, but let's be frank: the Crimson drivers were released before they were ready, and it would be the right thing to do to protect their users. I can live with per-game profiles sometimes working and sometimes not, but risking a graphics card damage is unacceptable.
Remember, when fans spin too low it is not just the GPU itself that overheats, it's the whole graphics card (and particularly the power section).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3uphfg/should_amd_remove_current_edition_of_crimson/

DiscussionThe new driver's bug where the fans don't work properly burned my R9 280X, what can I do about it? self.Amd
Submitted 
1 day ago  by Tsanummy

So, after installing the drivers and playing around 30-45 min of CS:GO my computer turned off and the GPU is burnt (tried a different GPU and it booted normally)
What can I do to protest against this? A new driver comes out and allows my GPU to get to 95º and just break? What the hell amd?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/3ulemo/the_new_drivers_bug_where_the_fans_dont_work/

Many people have already reported that their card has died on /r/AMD, and now some other subs. 

As far as I can tell, there's not even acknowledgement from AMD yet. 

IMO, AMD better replace these, even out of warranty, or there's gonna be some shit hitting the fan for their PR

Anyone with an AMD card and the newer drivers should make the own fan curve and watch the temperatures until this is fixed. 
Everyone who's card died reported they had no other software like MSI afterburner on, so that should do the trick.

edit

Is this only for GCN 1.0 cards?

Because mine is unaffected. R9 290.

Not everyone has it that has an affected card.
I don't know about 290s, but Fury , fury X, and fury nano seems to not have issues at all. 
It may have to do with the newer on board fan control or something is what the rumor is.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I dint know how to do shit with Crimson, I liked CCC better to be honest

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Wow AMD screwed up big time.

I'm sitting here with my reference 970, with the 3.5GB of full speed VRAM, and the DX12 lies, like

"Yay.....I feel slightly better about my purchase now..... :( "

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I dint know how to do shit with Crimson, I liked CCC better to be honest

CCC was shitty and finicky, but at least it did everything, including things like HDMI color ranges properly years before NVIDIA. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Well shit

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

+1 for team green.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Even if shit hits the fan, they aren't spinning that fast so it won't get everywhere.

Iixwx2W.gif

muh specs 

All parts black

I haven't had an issue.

Granted, my cards don't really produce enough heat for it to be a major concern, but eh.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

+1 for team green.

oh don't start this shit. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Huh, never knew. Good thing the profile I already set in MSi Afterburner didn't get overridden by Crimson.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

oh don't start this shit. 

I'm not starting anything, bro. I'm just saying AMD's drivers in general have always been sub-par.

#getmad

Edit

Also, if people can't hear the difference between 20% and 60% and above then I really don't know what else to say. I would've heard something was wrong and put the two and two together.

Edited by eLucid

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

reminds me of that nvidia driver that did the same with star craft

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Well then I didn't expect that, and thus another topic to be thrown in flame wars is born

Hopefully they make another crimson driver quick

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I'm not starting anything, bro. I'm just saying AMD's drivers in general have always been sub-par.

#getmad

No. NVIDIAs been having a sub par driver streak until recently. After witcher 3 came out, their drivers would crash on the desktop. I had to stay on pre witcher 3 drivers for many versions. At least I could, 980ti owners were screwed. 

One of many instances where that is simply no longer true, though I must say this is truly classic AMD fashion to not be able to make completely new software without something going up in flames. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Wouldn't the gpu just thermal throttle, the card dying is kind of suspicious, unless the fans can't turn at all at 20%, it should be enough to at least not let it die.

Is this only for GCN 1.0 cards?

Because mine is unaffected. R9 290.

Not everyone has it that has an affected card.

I don't know about 290s, but Fury , fury X, and fury nano seems to not have issues at all. 

It may have to do with the newer on board fan control or something is what the rumor is. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I'm sitting here with my reference 970, with the 3.5GB of full speed VRAM, and the DX12 lies, like

"Yay.....I feel slightly better about my purchase now..... :( "

That DX12 thing will all blow over in time...  AMD had T3 DX12 support meanwhile Nvidia has T2 DX12.1 support, you can bet your bottom $ that game developers wont be using parts of DX12 that 70% (Nvidia market share) of its customers dont have.

---

This happened before on a previous CCC beta driver (maybe Omega)? 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

No. NVIDIAs been having a sub par driver streak until recently. After witcher 3 came out, their drivers would crash on the desktop. I had to stay on pre witcher 3 drivers for many versions. At least I could, 980ti owners were screwed. 

One of many instances where that is simply no longer true, though I must say this is truly classic AMD fashion to not be able to make completely new software without something going up in flames. 

I'd say they both have been having issues fortunately team greens issues haven't affected me

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Wouldn't the gpu just thermal throttle, the card dying is kind of suspicious, unless the fans can't turn at all at 20%, it should be enough to at least not let it die.

not really. They don't do that like CPUs- it's kinda of software reliant as far as I remember. 

That may no longer be true, but I remember years ago people literally burning their cards on botched overclocks. 

muh specs 

All parts black