Two balanced outputs, one unbalanced cable?

SO here's my question:

This audio interface has two balanced outputs, XLR (left and right) and TRS (left and right)

1600-UMC404HD_detail4.jpg

If I plug unbalanced TS cables into the TRS output (effectively turning the audio into unbalanced) will that also affect the XLR so that the XLR is unbalanced?

Another way of asking this is, are the TRS and XLR outputs directly linked together, essentially one output signal going into two plugs (the TRS and the XLR)?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I imagine that is something that could vary by unit depending on how it was designed and built.  My guess is that the 3 wires of the TRS are just directly connected to the 3 XLR wires, but that's a total guess.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHA
Its Behringer with MIDAS AMPS.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH

Maybe, maybe not who knows because behringer dont produce a spec sheet for their cheap crap.

Try testing it.
Also why does it matter are you planning on sending it to multiple speakers

The Dick of the audio page!

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHA

Its Behringer with MIDAS AMPS.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAH

Maybe, maybe not who knows because behringer dont produce a spec sheet for their cheap crap.

Try testing it.

Also why does it matter are you planning on sending it to multiple speakers

yeah there are no spec sheets

but from all the reviews it seems like great value for the money

i dont have it, so i cant test

I need to hook up two studio monitors as well as an unbalanced cable for a subwoofer, i didnt want that to affect the XLR connections

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah there are no spec sheets

but from all the reviews it seems like great value for the money

I need to hook up two studio monitors as well as an unbalanced cable for a subwoofer, i didnt want that to affect the XLR connections

Why does it matter if your sub gets unbalanced or balanced.

Also why you sending your high and mids to the sub and vice versa for the main speakers.

Why does it matter if your sub gets unbalanced or balanced.

Also why you sending your high and mids to the sub and vice versa for the main speakers.

this isnt a studio subwoofer

it does not have balanced inputs

audio interfaces do not have a subwoofer output so all frequencies are sent to the high input on the subwoofer

the subwoofer then takes that and plays only the low frequencies

thats also how studio subwoofers work when you have XLR passthrough

Spoiler

this isnt a studio subwoofer

it does not have balanced inputs

audio interfaces do not have a subwoofer output so all frequencies are sent to the high input on the subwoofer

the subwoofer then takes that and plays only the low frequencies

thats also how studio subwoofers work when you have XLR passthrough

That is a really bad way to refer to it as studio this and not studio just say built in cross over.

Have you ever plugged a 3 band jack into the sub because I bet f all happens.

That is a really bad way to refer to it as studio this and not studio just say built in cross over.

Have you ever plugged a 3 band jack into the sub because I bet f all happens.

Well by "studio" i mean it has the regular connectors that a studio subwoofer would have

balanced XLR or TRS passthrough

this subwoofer does have a crossover, but it uses unbalanced banana connectors, not XLR/TRS

i was hoping that with a audio interface that has 4 outsputs i would be able to connect two to the sub and one to each monitor while keeping the monitors balanced

Spoiler

Well by "studio" i mean it has the regular connectors that a studio subwoofer would have

balanced XLR or TRS passthrough

this subwoofer does have a crossover, but it uses unbalanced banana connectors, not XLR/TRS

i was hoping that with a audio interface that has 4 outsputs i would be able to connect two to the sub and one to each monitor while keeping the monitors balanced

Right still the term studio not helpful for anything even if connectors are not the more common ones.

Even if both outputs are connected it wouldn't matter. There outputs it doesn't care if its sending electricity into a duck it still sends it and it wouldn't affect something else unless there is a problem with power.

Right still the term studio not helpful for anything even if connectors are not the more common ones.

Even if both outputs are connected it wouldn't matter. There outputs it doesn't care if its sending electricity into a duck it still sends it and it wouldn't affect something else unless there is a problem with power.

but connecting an unbalanced cable to the output essentially does this (if the two plugs are connected)

xlr-to-unbalanced-mono.jpg

so the XLR output would no longer be balanced because 1 and 3 are bridged by the TS unbalanced connector

Spoiler

Even if the outputs are linked, inserting a balanced plug shouldn't have anny effect.

Even if the outputs are linked, inserting a balanced plug shouldn't have anny effect.

what?

no, i mean inserting an unbalanced TS plug

because it would then bridge the XLR pins as well, right? like the image above

Spoiler

what?

no, i mean inserting an unbalanced TS plug

because it would then bridge the XLR pins as well, right? like the image above

That's what I meant. Typing.

And I don't see why it would matter. The ground likely isn't even connected to anything on the other end.

And I don't see why it would matter. The ground likely isn't even connected to anything on the other end.

I dont understand what you mean...

if the two outputs are linked together, shorting the 1 and 3 pin by using a TS cable would also short it for the XLR cable

that would make XLR pointless because it would no longer be balanced...

Spoiler

OH I see what you mean

It looks like the proper way of connecting balanced to unbalanced is by not connecting pin 3

but a lot of cables just bridge pin 1 and 3, which is apparently bad for the amplifier

Ok I guess I will make some custom XLR-RCA cables and wire it myself, so that pin 3 is not connected to anything :)

Thanks!

Spoiler

OH I see what you mean

It looks like the proper way of connecting balanced to unbalanced is by not connecting pin 3

but a lot of cables just bridge pin 1 and 3, which is apparently bad for the amplifier

Ok I guess I will make some custom XLR-RCA cables and wire it myself, so that pin 3 is not connected to anything :)

Thanks!

Couldn't you just connect a TRS to 2xRCA cable, and only connect one of the terminations to the sub?

Couldn't you just connect a TRS to 2xRCA cable, and only connect one of the terminations to the sub?

yea I guess...

but then idk which is positive phase and which is negative phase :P

Spoiler

yea I guess...

but then idk which is positive phase and which is negative phase :P

If you can't hear the difference it doesn't matter?

If you can't hear the difference it doesn't matter?

I've read that having speakers out of phase can cause worse sound due to some cones moving in when other cones are moving out?

like pulling air from one side while the other side is pushing, and some compression waves will cancel eachother

Spoiler

oh, I guess I'm too late :)

I was going to suggest you get a digital multi meter and check resistances between certain points to try and tell if they were in fact just wired together or not, but I guess that's no an option.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I've read that having speakers out of phase can cause worse sound due to some cones moving in when other cones are moving out?

like pulling air from one side while the other side is pushing, and some compression waves will cancel eachother

Out of phase speakers may cancel each other out due to destructive interference. Use your ear to detect this situation.

oh, I guess I'm too late :)

I was going to suggest you get a digital multi meter and check resistances between certain points to try and tell if they were in fact just wired together or not, but I guess that's no an option.

thats a good idea, if i do buy that interface I will definitely test that :)

Spoiler

Out of phase speakers may cancel each other out due to destructive interference. Use your ear to detect this situation.

Not to mention, the whole point of a sub is to run frequencies that your monitors can't, which would greatly reduce the chance of them being out of phase.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)