EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2gb or 4gb?

I'd say nab the 4GB based on some recent games. Also if you use madvr for video playback you may just exceed 2GB at 1080p depending on your settings

How are the ten screen shots provided not proof? In the most intense parts of Fallout 4 I never drop beneath 60FPS and never experience any stutter? Maybe it's your love for AMD cards that's making you blind to the obvious truth that a GTX 960 2GB (in SLI) can easily max out Fallout 4 and other games with the 2GB frame buffer not being an issue.

You're not reading. I've been playing this whole time. During that time my max VRAM usage was 2889MB and my average was 2250. That's over 2g, you say you barely use more than 2. I said that if that's the case then you'd have to prove Nvidia cards use less VRAM playing the game. How the flying fuck is that saying anything positive about AMD? Are you serious?!? LOL If anything I'm inviting you to show a MASSIVE advantage for Nvidia. But you're so fucking blinded by trying to dodge giving bad advice you missed that. gg

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I've yet to run into any issues with the 2GB frame buffer, the only time I experience any issues is when playing GTA 5 at all max settings, including textures. Every other game I can max out without any issues.

Even my GTX650ti uses all of its 2GB frame buffer at 1080p

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hi, 

Im trying to put to put together a parts list for my first pc. I will mostly be using it for 1080p gaming. Would it be worth it to spend the extra cash for the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4gb or should I go for the EVGA Geforce GTX 960 2gb?

Here is my parts list so far: (If you have any other tips or recommendations please share)  

If you want to view on pc part picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/penguin2424/saved/nVTcCJ

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (I know it's overkill but I got it for a good deal and i already bought it)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card or EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case + PSU: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply

Os: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) (Im going to upgrade it to windows 10)

Not trying to be a jackass but seriously seriously consider the 380 if there's one. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

R9 380 4G.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

ALSO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT CASE/POWER SUPPLY COMBO. I would get a PSU on its own, normally the ones that come with cases SUCK. It will cost money, sure, but it's needed.

I know its not a very good choice but i'm trying to save money right now. I also like how this case looks and If i do run into some problems eventually i will replace the PSU.

Get a 4 GB 380

I like some of the benefits that a Geforce GTX GPU has and I have a nvidia shield tablet, so i plan on using nvidia GameStream a bunch

I know its not a very good choice but i'm trying to save money right now. I also like how this case looks and If i do run into some problems eventually i will replace the PSU.

Just remember that if that problem happens the chances of it taking everything you've bought with it are quite high. So if you have a problem you could be replacing everything, not just the power supply.

Also OP, don't bother getting an SSD yet- unless you're getting the OCZ one for like 35$ right now on Amazon- the only time you'll notice any speed increases are in boot and loading certain programs. What I would focus on would be raw performance- if you avoid getting an SSD you could get an i3/i5 and a new better PSU which would be better than getting an SSD. 

I want to get an SSD to put Windows on. I plan on eventually upgrading to more SSD storage and i would rather not have to pay for windows again and if i put it all on one drive, then i would have to buy it again.

Just remember that if that problem happens the chances of it taking everything you've bought with it are quite high. So if you have a problem you could be replacing everything, not just the power supply.

Thank you,

I never really thought about that, do you guys have any recommendations for budget PSUs or cases?

Thank you,

I never really thought about that, do you guys have any recommendations for budget PSUs or cases?

For a 960 a 500/550w power supply would give you the headroom to upgrade to a 970/390 later on worry free. Anything by SeaSonic will be reliable.

I want to get an SSD to put Windows on. I plan on eventually upgrading to more SSD storage and i would rather not have to pay for windows again and if i put it all on one drive, then i would have to buy it again.

You won't have to buy Windows again, you can clone the files over from the HDD to a large SSD.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

You won't have to buy Windows again, you can clone the files over from the HDD to a large SSD.

I wouldn't need an activation code?

Would anybody recommend the EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX power Supply?

I looks like a great deal; 500W for about $30

Would anybody recommend the EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX power Supply?

I looks like a great deal; 500W for about $30

@don_svetlio

Hey, sorry I was a dick. I just installed my wife's 290 that has 4g of VRAM. Went into Fallout 4 to see how it did, it's using 2g. It's exactly like your GPU in memory usage. No idea what causes that, but I was wrong.

Hey, sorry I was a dick. I just installed my wife's 290 that has 4g of VRAM. Went into Fallout 4 to see how it did, it's using 2g. It's exactly like your GPU in memory usage. No idea what causes that, but I was wrong.

It's cool don't worry about :) no hard feelings. That is odd though that with your GPU it's using more than that- are you playing at a higher resolution?

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

It's cool don't worry about :) no hard feelings. That is odd though that with your GPU it's using more than that- are you playing at a higher resolution?

No, exactly the same settings. I put her GPU in my rig so she could play around with it while she collected the rest of her parts. Not sure if the GPU uses more of the VRAM because it's there, or if the game detects the VRAM and uses it. At 1000mhz less on the core and memory I got the exact same fps lol. And that's before I do anything with drivers, I haven't even done anything with those. Very curious.

No, exactly the same settings. I put her GPU in my rig so she could play around with it while she collected the rest of her parts. Not sure if the GPU uses more of the VRAM because it's there, or if the game detects the VRAM and uses it. At 1000mhz less on the core and memory I got the exact same fps lol. And that's before I do anything with drivers, I haven't even done anything with those. Very curious.

Hmm, that's strange.

No, you can just clone the HDD to the SSD without any issues :)

I didn't know that. Thanks, that will help for my budget.

Could use a better monitor it's a 720p display. Try looking at some of the black Friday deals and get a nicer 1080p display maybe?

Oh, I didn't even realize this. I really only put this monitor on the list because it was the cheapest, quality monitor i could find. I wasn't really sure if i was even going to buy it because i was going to receive my friend's old monitor for free but now he decided to keep it. 

Oh, I didn't even realize this. I really only put this monitor on the list because it was the cheapest, quality monitor i could find. I wasn't really sure if i was even going to buy it because i was going to receive my friend's old monitor for free but now he decided to keep it. 

That sucks but there are plenty of good cheap 1080p monitors to be had.