EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2gb or 4gb?

Hi, 

Im trying to put to put together a parts list for my first pc. I will mostly be using it for 1080p gaming. Would it be worth it to spend the extra cash for the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4gb or should I go for the EVGA Geforce GTX 960 2gb?

Here is my parts list so far: (If you have any other tips or recommendations please share)  

If you want to view on pc part picker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/penguin2424/saved/nVTcCJ

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (I know it's overkill but I got it for a good deal and i already bought it)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card or EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case + PSU: Logisys CS369BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply

Os: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) (Im going to upgrade it to windows 10)

My friend uses a 2GB version, and he runs into the frame buffer all the time at 1080P. I wouldn't get it.

Get the 4GB model.

inb4 get a 380

Also, get this instead: https://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr93804gbd5ppdhe (IT'S ON SALE)

ALSO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THAT CASE/POWER SUPPLY COMBO. I would get a PSU on its own, normally the ones that come with cases SUCK. It will cost money, sure, but it's needed.

I used to be quite active here.

Go for the 4 gig card, theyre not much more anyway :)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

My friend uses a 2GB version, and he runs into the frame buffer all the time at 1080P. I wouldn't get it.

I've yet to run into any issues with the 2GB frame buffer, the only time I experience any issues is when playing GTA 5 at all max settings, including textures. Every other game I can max out without any issues.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Also OP, don't bother getting an SSD yet- unless you're getting the OCZ one for like 35$ right now on Amazon- the only time you'll notice any speed increases are in boot and loading certain programs. What I would focus on would be raw performance- if you avoid getting an SSD you could get an i3/i5 and a new better PSU which would be better than getting an SSD. 

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

I've yet to run into any issues with the 2GB frame buffer, the only time I experience any issues is when playing GTA 5 at all max settings, including textures. Every other game I can max out without any issues.

Try playing Fallout 4, I use 3.1 on the regular.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Try playing Fallout 4, I use 3.1 on the regular.

I've been playing Fallout 4 at 1920x1200 and I use only like 1.9GB's of VRAM while maintaining high 90's with V-Sync off. That's also while running with the game on complete max settings.

I've been playing Fallout 4 at 1920x1200 and I use only like 1.9GB's of VRAM while maintaining high 90's with V-Sync off. That's also while running with the game on complete max settings.

Right, and I'm banging Taylor Swift while I type this.

Right, and I'm banging Taylor Swift while I type this.

lol +1 man

I'm with you, too, in Fallout 4 I always use more than 2GB. My 960 2GB friend has to turn down settings to avoid going above the frame buffer.

Really though, Jack, almost every post about the 960 2GB has you talking about how awesome it is and how everybody should buy it. I mean, I know that you're trying to defend your purchase in any way possible, but GOD DAMN. Just because you SLI'd the stupidest cards possible means everybody should, too.

Oh yeah, and max out all your games on 1 960.

Alright, proof I shall bring. Gimmie a minute.

Oh I insist I go first. This is inside a building in Boston. Taken using my phone.

IMG_0225_zpsjppwv25u.jpg

-snip-

So first off here is my resolution settings and speccy screen shots-

post-168944-0-92538700-1448775434_thumb.

post-168944-0-51653700-1448775440_thumb.

Next, my fallout 4 settings-

post-168944-0-39996100-1448775445_thumb.

post-168944-0-36933600-1448775451_thumb.

post-168944-0-54908600-1448775456_thumb.

Some in game pictures taken from my phone-

post-168944-0-51418200-1448775487_thumb.

post-168944-0-99149600-1448775488_thumb.

post-168944-0-62838500-1448775490_thumb.

post-168944-0-15385400-1448775492_thumb.

and MSI afterburner showing only 2031MB's of VRAM usage, almost 2GB's.

post-168944-0-60830600-1448775460_thumb.

and from all the pictures above you can see that I maintain a frame-rate in the high 80's to mid 90's while playing and walking through out buildings and the common wealth and I drop to the mid 70's when up close and personal with multiple NPC's, any more questions?

Really though, Jack, almost every post about the 960 2GB has you talking about how awesome it is and how everybody should buy it. I mean, I know that you're trying to defend your purchase in any way possible, but GOD DAMN. Just because you SLI'd the stupidest cards possible means everybody should, too.

Oh yeah, and max out all your games on 1 960.

I'm not saying everyone should, and I do max out most games on a single GTX 960 with frame rates in the high 50's if not perfect 60. I don't think anyone should buy two GTX 960's either, at least not the 2GB versions. I just so happen to have one and then thought it would be easiest to get a second one- however if I could do things over and had the 400$ that I spent on these two GTX 960's I'd save another $100's and get a GTX 980.

So first off here is my resolution settings and speccy screen shots-

Screenshot 2015-11-29 00.26.23.png

Screenshot 2015-11-29 00.26.52.png

Next, my fallout 4 settings-

Screenshot 2015-11-29 00.27.15.png

Screenshot 2015-11-29 00.27.20.png

Screenshot 2015-11-29 00.28.18.png

Some in game pictures taken from my phone-

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

and MSI afterburner showing only 2031MB's of VRAM usage, almost 2GB's.

Screenshot 2015-11-29 00.34.32.png

and from all the pictures above you can see that I maintain a frame-rate in the high 80's to mid 90's while playing and walking through out buildings and the common wealth and I drop to the mid 70's when up close and personal with multiple NPC's, any more questions?

Sure, how does SLI numbers relate to the question asked here? Disable one of your GPUs and give it another go.

I'm not saying everyone should, and I do max out most games on a single GTX 960 with frame rates in the high 50's if not perfect 60. I don't think anyone should buy two GTX 960's either, at least not the 2GB versions. I just so happen to have one and then thought it would be easiest to get a second one- however if I could do things over and had the 400$ that I spent on these two GTX 960's I'd save another $100's and get a GTX 980.

Yeah, I do, too, on a 7970. Like.. All games.

-picture one-

Your frame buffer is maxed..

Sure, how does SLI numbers relate to the question asked here? Disable one of your GPUs and give it another go.

I had to force SLI when I first setup Fallout 4 and I didn't know that immediately- so I had to figure out how to force SLI for Fallout, however with a Single GTX 960's I was receiving between 50-55FPS in those same situations.

Yeah, I do, too, on a 7970. Like.. All games.

Your frame buffer is maxed..

If it didn't hit 2047 than it isn't maxed and while I'll agree that 2031 is pretty borderline it never went above that, not even in the most intense area's. The only game where I truly max out and see issues is GTA 5 which I don't have installed right now otherwise I'd show you. Everyone once and a while with the highest quality textures the game won't render and area of the map and I'll be driving on invisible surfaces and it'll take a few moments for the game to catch up.

And what are you referring to about the 7970? That you can max out all games with 50-60FPS? I would believe that's because the 7970 is essentially a 280X, so your on par with the 960? I don't really get the point.

I had to force SLI when I first setup Fallout 4 and I didn't know that immediately- so I had to figure out how to force SLI for Fallout, however with a Single GTX 960's I was receiving between 50-55FPS in those same situations.

Not fps, memory used. You're trying to justify advising someone buy a 2g card, and you're not doing a good job since you yourself just posted that a modern game uses more than 2g. But I know from my use I see over 3G used at times using one card. I can throw my 290 in the case and show you what happens when two cards share the load if you'd like.

Not fps, memory used. You're trying to justify advising someone buy a 2g card, and you're not doing a good job since you yourself just posted that a modern game uses more than 2g. But I know from my use I see over 3G used at times using one card. I can throw my 290 in the case and show you what happens when two cards share the load if you'd like.

It used the same amount of memory with a single card, and I wasn't saying that he should get a 2GB GTX 960- I'll quote myself right here-

I only ever stated that I've run into no issues with the 2GB frame buffer in my personal experience- with the only exception being GTA 5. I later went on to say in response to Kobathor-

I'm not saying everyone should, and I do max out most games on a single GTX 960 with frame rates in the high 50's if not perfect 60. I don't think anyone should buy two GTX 960's either, at least not the 2GB versions.

That I do not recommend SLI'ing the GTX 960's nor do I recommend the 2GB versions, its simply what I was able to go with. Need I clarify myself further? 

It used the same amount of memory with a single card, and I wasn't saying that he should get a 2GB GTX 960- I'll quote myself right here-

I only ever stated that I've run into no issues with the 2GB frame buffer in my personal experience- with the only exception being GTA 5. I later went on to say in response to Kobathor-

That I do not recommend SLI'ing the GTX 960's nor do I recommend the 2GB versions, its simply what I was able to go with. Need I clarify myself further?

It's your statement that you don't see any issues other than GTA V that got the responses you received. And unless there's a difference between the memory usage between Nvidia and AMD cards and Fallout 4 I'm still typing through Ms. Swift's open and inviting legs.

It's your statement that you don't see any issues other than GTA V that got the responses you received. And unless there's a difference between the memory usage between Nvidia and AMD cards and Fallout 4 I'm still typing through Ms. Swift's open and inviting legs.

Because- I don't have issues with frame buffer in any game except GTA V at 1920x1200. Where the only setting that is turned down is AA to TXAA X4 and Textures to High instead of Ultra. Those are the settings I use to receive perfectly smooth 60FPS with V-Sync and no stutter / lag / texture pop ins.

I guess you just refuse to accept proper evidence laid out in front of you.

Because- I don't have issues with frame buffer in any game except GTA V at 1920x1200. Where the only setting that is turned down is AA to TXAA X4 and Textures to High instead of Ultra. Those are the settings I use to receive perfectly smooth 60FPS with V-Sync and no stutter / lag / texture pop ins.

I guess you just refuse to accept proper evidence laid out in front of you.

I'm creeping in on a hundred hours in Fallout 4 and not a minute of that was without ether Afterburner or Trixx running. So I know what it takes to run the game on an AMD card, intimately. If you're getting those memory numbers using max settings, then that's some interesting shit because I've never seen anything like them no matter where on the map I am. How the game could require less VRAM from a Nvidia card, well now you know why I stick to calling BS until it's proven that's possible.

I'm creeping in on a hundred hours in Fallout 4 and not a minute of that was without ether Afterburner or Trixx running. So I know what it takes to run the game on an AMD card, intimately. If you're getting those memory numbers using max settings, then that's some interesting shit because I've never seen anything like them no matter where on the map I am. How the game could require less VRAM from a Nvidia card, well now you know why I stick to calling BS until it's proven that's possible.

How are the ten screen shots provided not proof? In the most intense parts of Fallout 4 I never drop beneath 60FPS and never experience any stutter? Maybe it's your love for AMD cards that's making you blind to the obvious truth that a GTX 960 2GB (in SLI) can easily max out Fallout 4 and other games with the 2GB frame buffer not being an issue.