Pro DSLR + Cheap Lens or Cheap DSLR + Pro Lens

Hello guys, so i have absolutely zero idea about photography, cameras and lenses. 

I want to buy something and take some quality pictures with it...... But dont want to spend tons of money on it, because i will not do anything proffesional all i want is some quality pictures. 

Thanks in advance ! :D lov you all 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

Hello guys, so i have absolutely zero idea about photography, cameras and lenses. 

I want to buy something and take some quality pictures with it...... But dont want to spend tons of money on it, because i will not do anything proffesional all i want is some quality pictures. 

The lens is a better investment.  A good lens can be kept through multiple camera body upgrades.  Generally speaking of course.

But which cameras and lenses are you talking about?

Additionally, there are a few things you have to consider:

• Lenses designed for cropped sensors should be avoided on larger sensor cameras, as there will be significant vignetting.
  • Lenses designed for larger sensor cameras are a bad investment if you plan to stick with smaller sensor bodies throughout your entire life as a photographer.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

The lens is a better investment.  A good lens can be kept through multiple camera body upgrades.  Generally speaking of course.

But which cameras and lenses are you talking about?

I dont know what should i go for yet.... ( I have no idea what brand or model i should go for ) 

ZERO idea like i said i just want something to take better pictures than normal smartphone cameras ( Iphone 6s or Galaxy S6 Edge ) 

All i want is some good quality pictures, i dont know what model or lens to buy. 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

Guys at all what camera you recommend for a person who never had one and with what lens ? 

Project Redline: 

I dont know what should i go for yet.... ( I have no idea what brand or model i should go for ) 

ZERO idea like i said i just want something to take better pictures than normal smartphone cameras ( Iphone 6s or Galaxy S6 Edge ) 

All i want is some good quality pictures, i dont know what model or lens to buy. 

What do you currently know or understand about photography?

What is your budget?

What is your aim or what do you want to do with a camera? Don't just tell me "I want to take photos"

What style or type of photography do you want to do?

• Landscape
  • Portrait
  • Macro
  • Astrophotography
  • Infrared
  • Ultraviolet
  • Journalism
  • Street

To name a few examples.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Any of the main brand's cheap DSLR's will take fantastic pictures, and even the kit lenses are plenty good enough for amateur stuff. They will lack some of the bells and whistles of the cheaper models. I personally started off with a nikon d3000, which was largely considered one of nikons worse DSLR's but in decent lighting, it performs as well as any other DSLR for picture taking, but lacks video. I then upgraded to a d5300. Great camera and had video support.

Picking up used lenses is a really good option as well.

When in doubt, re-format.

What is your budget?

What is your aim or what do you want to do with a camera? Don't just tell me "I want to take photos"

• Landscape
  • Portrait
  • Macro
  • Astrophotography
  • Infrared
  • Ultraviolet
  • Journalism

To name a few examples.

- All i know is that phorograhy is all about lighting and editing.

What is your budget?

Lets say 500/600Euro 

I want to take quality pictures of me and my friends with some nature. I also want to do some Landspace or Normal videos. ( I want to DO the same things i do with my smartphone, but with better quality at all ) 

- Landspace

- Macro

- Portrait

I dont understand the other things you listed :) I am begginer who never had DSLR and took all of my pictures with my smartphones till now.

Project Redline: 

snip

OK first of all I am going to assume that you currently do not own any photographic equipment and accessories.  So shall we say that your budget should also take into account buying some other items besides a camera and lens, such as a bag, memory cards, spare batteries, etc.

For landscape and portrait photography, almost any camera will do.  However for macro, some special considerations have to be made.

As you study photography, one of the terms you will encounter is "Depth of Field (DOF)" which plays a big role in macro photography.  Basically larger sensor cameras tend to have shallower DOF and smaller sensor cameras have wider DOF.  Macro photography is mainly about viewing small objects.  As a large majority of the world is in 3D, if your camera is set up to capture a very shallow DOF, it will be hard to capture all of that 3D object in focus.  Hence many macro photographers use either a small sensor camera for the inherent wide DOF, or have to use various complicated and time consuming techniques (which if you are willing to put in the time and effort is very much worth it).

So for a beginner such as yourself here are the following items you should consider buying, along with a breakdown of costs.

1. Obviously a camera body and lens or perhaps a camera with lens already integrated = 360 - 400 Euros
  2. A bag for carrying the camera = 40 Euros
  3. A memory card or two (always a good idea to have at least one spare card on hand) = About 30 Euros for 2x 32GB SD card (15 euros each)
  4. A spare battery is a good idea = 20-50 Euros
  5. Perhaps a tripod, if you want to take a group photo of which you plan to be a part of and there isn't a honest looking bystander available = 50-100 Euros for a good tripod or gorillapod
  6. Perhaps a remote to trigger your camera for the group photo, infrared/wireless remotes are not expensive = 10 - 20 Euros

So with this breakdown of prices, I suggest you consider the following:

• If you want interchangeable lens camera systems look at the entry level camera kits that Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic have to offer.
  • If you want something with a fixed lens, I recommend Canon, Fuji, or Sony.
  • There are some other brands that also produce good cameras, so if you are interested in any of them just let me know the specific model and I will tell you my thoughts about it.

I won't tell you which specific model to buy, because entry level cameras perform more or less the same.  They are all capable of taking good photos.  It will be up to you who will be using the camera to make the final decision on which one you find the most comfortable to use.

If your that new to photography I would recommend the Nikon d3300.  Its Nikon's entry level dslr.  There is no point in spending a lot of money on gear until you know what your doing.  

But in general its better to put good glass on an entry level body than to put bad glass on pro bodies.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

a good lens is always better than a good body. A camera is only as good as the weakest link. which is in most cases the glass, because that is what the light from the environment has to go through regardless to get to the sensor. i personally use a t5i which is a beginner level dslr with a canon 24-105 l lens. The number one thing that will make your photos better though, is knowing how to use the camera. Don't use automatic mode. set your own exposure.  

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

- All i know is that phorograhy is all about lighting and editing.

What is your budget?

Lets say 500/600Euro 

I want to take quality pictures of me and my friends with some nature. I also want to do some Landspace or Normal videos. ( I want to DO the same things i do with my smartphone, but with better quality at all ) 

- Landspace

- Macro

- Portrait

I dont understand the other things you listed :) I am begginer who never had DSLR and took all of my pictures with my smartphones till now.

I'd pick up a D5300 body with a Tamron 28-75 f2.8

it'll focus @ 33cm so it'll be decent for macro-ish shots. you'll still need to get an actual macro prime for proper macro shots. 

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Lens, at the end of the day you want detail and that's the only thing between the object you are photographing and the sensor.
I would also concur with others pointing out to pick a lens that also has a short focusing distance. A fail point of some of the best (but sharpest) lenses.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

honestly, if you are not going to be doing professional photos and not use it very often there is no point getting a camera + lens. Get a fixed Apeture camera. Like the Fuji film X10 or X100. Because if you go the other route, a shit DLSR will not work very well with a pro grade Lens as the camera won't be able to take in all the data etc. And same for the other way around. No point having a pro level Camera but a ratshit lens. It will not take the best photos you are looking for.

Sony a6000 bundle. Awesome package for the price. Will be an excellent stepping stone for you.

SLI 1070 Setup for sale!!!