Return of the Zeppelin: FAA green-light puts Lockheed Martin’s airship on track to hit skies by 2018

RagnarokDel

this is going to be the cargolifter all over again. 

accept the cargo lifter was a small company with little r&d budget. Lockheed martin is a giant company with a lot of extra money and a whole large team "skunkworks" to work with anyways at least something cool came out of the cargo lifter (tropical islands resort)

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

I wonder if it would be possible to make a zeppelin "space elevator"? Not necessarily carry to the space station but like get you to the edge so you dont have to use massive rockets?

That wouldn't really work. The difficult part about getting something into orbit is not getting to space, but getting it to orbital velocity.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

oh yeah and it wont use hydrogen apparently which I guess is a good thing.

yeah, that might be wise.

this is what happens if you use hydrogen:

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That wouldn't really work. The difficult part about getting something into orbit is not getting to space, but getting it to orbital velocity.

yeah but wouldnt it be much easier from let's say 40 km up like Felix Baumgartner then it would be from the ground?

Yes please. Command and control airships!

Command and Control? 

Command and Conquer!

wallpaper_red_alert_2_02_16001.jpg

Kirov Reporting

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Interesting, but I don't think we'll see this taking off into a huge business. I think they will sell, but in very small quantities. Much like a lot of other very specialty heavy machinery.

The only reason we don't have this already is because everybody got scared from the hindinberg. And thought hydrogen is dangerous. Hydrogen isn't dangerous if it is the only thing in an environment like a sealed ballon.

There's a huge number of reasons, that's definitely not the only one.

I really like this idea simply because it could possibly open a new direction for goods to be transported. Imagine if airports only ever had to deal with passengers now, instead of cargo as well. Companies like FedEx that ship a lot through airports could use these airships instead and possible land them anywhere. Maybe even Amazon could get in on this and have their own transportation network...from warehouse to the distribution center using the airships and then from the distribution centers to the homes using drones.

I don't think so. These things would be huge. Much too large to have many of them flying around at once. They're also incredibly limited operational perimeters as they don't exactly handle poor weather well. They're also slow.

I always thought airships ended not because of the Hindenberg but because of their inability to handle adverse weather conditions. I belive multiple US ariships were lost at sea or in other weather related accidents.

Yup. Not exactly the smartest thing to be flying in poor weather.

Well they may figure it out how to make a good Zeppelin this time.

Last time the US made a bad ass Zeppelin it crashed after 2 years. It was a flying aircraft carrier that was pretty cool, but vulnerable to havy wind.

If you are intreseted in more fact look for "USS Malcony".

Even modern engineering can't break the law of physics. The ration of body size to the thrust from the engines is assumably still pretty low, makeing the airship still vulnerable to havy wind.

But I give them a chance and look how well they will do.

USS Macon*

There were two of these, both crashed in poor weather. The US Navy never tried to use them again, and didn't even bother recovering the wreckage of the second air carrier.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It'll be interesting seeing what these airships can do. Cargo transportation and civilian transportation as well, wonder how hard it is to make stealthy version of a zeppelin....

Command and Control? 

Command and Conquer!

Kirov Reporting

So this is how it ends?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

The only reason we don't have this already is because everybody got scared from the hindinberg. And thought hydrogen is dangerous. Hydrogen isn't dangerous if it is the only thing in an environment like a sealed ballon.

Well yeah, but that was the problem.... Something poked a hole in the balloon and suddenly there was oxygen and a spark.

But you're right, Hydrogen itself isn't an issue.... But then again, nothing can burn without a source of oxygen. 

accept the cargo lifter was a small company with little r&d budget. Lockheed martin is a giant company with a lot of extra money and a whole large team "skunkworks" to work with anyways at least something cool came out of the cargo lifter (tropical islands resort)

the design is already done they're talking about 2018 for the first flights... The grunt of the work has been done for a while now. Hell I wouldnt be surprised if they already had secret test flights on a few designs by now.

http://www.military-heat.com/91/p791-hybrid-airship-project/ maiden test flight was done in 2006

Doesnt look that slow to me, obviously it's slower then a plane but if it's able to reach somewhat fast speed, and carry cargo, it would be interesting.

-snip-

No that's what happens when you make the skin of your airship out of rocket fuel

the design is already done they're talking about 2018 for the first flights... The grunt of the work has been done for a while now. Hell I wouldnt be surprised if they already had secret test flights on a few designs by now.

http://www.military-heat.com/91/p791-hybrid-airship-project/ maiden test flight was done in 2006

Doesnt look that slow to me, obviously it's slower then a plane but if it's able to reach somewhat fast speed, and carry cargo, it would be interesting.

yes i know im just saying continue development 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

No that's what happens when you make the skin of your airship out of rocket fuel

it wasn't made out of rocket fuel but it was made out of flammable material (cotton material with dope made out of cellulose acetate butyrate to which aluminum powder was added to reflect sunlight and keep the gas from expanding). it wasn't the main factor the hydrogen did most of the burning 

it wasn't made out of rocket fuel but it was made out of flammable material (cotton material with dope made out of cellulose acetate butyrate to which aluminum powder was added to reflect sunlight and keep the gas from expanding). it wasn't the main factor the hydrogen did most of the burning 

That doping was for conditioning the skin for flight and resilience to wind, rain, and physical impacts; the iron oxide the top was additionally doped with was for ameliorating the effects of sunlight. Hydrogen goes up pretty fast, and vents even faster once the integrity of the vessel is compromised, a lot of the flames were the physical pieces of the airship going up, from the cells, the scaffolding, and passenger areas. The hydrogen did burn, and vent, but it went quickly, and spread the fire.

The hydrogen did catch fire, and was the cause of the "explosive" conflagration, but it wasn't what went up to "cause" the disaster. "Rocket Fuel" is hyperbolic but anyone who has had aluminum shavings come into close concentration with anything like latex or poly, doped cotton or paper, knows how easily it goes up and how excitedly it does so.

Helium would have kept it from being the conflagration it was but it would not have prevented the initial fire. And the fire still would have been large and craft defeating. Gas would have vented, the airship would have collapsed, there would have been loss of life, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

Although I sincerely doubt any of those issues will plague the new airships. I do think whole new ones will arise, but with dedicated folks involved in solving them.

That doping was for conditioning the skin for flight and resilience to wind, rain, and physical impacts; the iron oxide the top was additionally doped with was for ameliorating the effects of sunlight. Hydrogen goes up pretty fast, and vents even faster once the integrity of the vessel is compromised, a lot of the flames were the physical pieces of the airship going up, from the cells, the scaffolding, and passenger areas. The hydrogen did burn, and vent, but it went quickly, and spread the fire.

The hydrogen did catch fire, and was the cause of the "explosive" conflagration, but it wasn't what went up to "cause" the disaster. "Rocket Fuel" is hyperbolic but anyone who has had aluminum shavings come into close concentration with anything like latex or poly, doped cotton or paper, knows how easily it goes up and how excitedly it does so.

Helium would have kept it from being the conflagration it was but it would not have prevented the initial fire. And the fire still would have been large and craft defeating. Gas would have vented, the airship would have collapsed, there would have been loss of life, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

Although I sincerely doubt any of those issues will plague the new airships. I do think whole new ones will arise, but with dedicated folks involved in solving them.

actually the iron oxide was used for protecting it against uv radiation :P the aluminum was to reflect sunlight. (i just thought you were one of those guys who actually believed they soaked it in rocket fuel. but yes i agree with what you said. it wont happen now because blimps are made of compound that is comprised of polyurethane, polyester and Tedlar.

actually the iron oxide was used for protecting it against uv radiation :P the aluminum was to reflect sunlight. (i just thought you were one of those guys who actually believed they soaked it in rocket fuel. but yes i agree with what you said. it wont happen now because blimps are made of compound that is comprised of polyurethane, polyester and Tedlar.

According to what I read the aluminum doping was primarily for structural integrity of the skin for aerodynamics and to protect it in rain, wind, and against small impacts or perforations. That it also reduced the HEAT from sunlight effecting the hydrogen cells meant they needed no additional protection for that problem. They would have added other protections if it did not reduce the effect of the heat generated by the sun, but they wouldn't have used it at all if it did not condition the skin of the airship for flight operations. The Iron Oxide was for protection from UV in direct sunlight as it was only applied to the top. The aluminum was applied to the entirety of the skin.

According to what I read the aluminum doping was primarily for structural integrity of the skin for aerodynamics and to protect it in rain, wind, and against small impacts or perforations. That it also reduced the HEAT from sunlight effecting the hydrogen cells meant they needed no additional protection for that problem. They would have added other protections if it did not reduce the effect of the heat generated by the sun, but they wouldn't have used it at all if it did not condition the skin of the airship for flight operations. The Iron Oxide was for protection from UV in direct sunlight as it was only applied to the top. The aluminum was applied to the entirety of the skin.

yes the doping was for structural integrity but the aluminum powder was not added for structural integrity it was added to reflect sunlight the actual compound used provided the structural integrity. the aluminum powder provided no added structural integrity 

yes the doping was for structural integrity but the aluminum powder was not added for structural integrity it was added to reflect sunlight the actual compound used provided the structural integrity. the aluminum powder provided no added structural integrity 

I'll have to find another source on the info I have then... Yeah there it goes, they list the dope with aluminum together and list the effect of the doping, then further down they list the aluminum itself with the heat reduction, then the iron oxide for UV. But, they never listed the doping by itself with the effects for rigidity and protection. They need to remove the aluminum from that paragraph and let the standalone aluminum entry suffice. Bad editing.

I'll have to find another source on the info I have then... Yeah there it goes, they list the dope with aluminum together and list the effect of the doping, then further down they list the aluminum itself with the heat reduction, then the iron oxide for UV. But, they never listed the doping by itself with the effects for rigidity and protection. They need to remove the aluminum from that paragraph and let the standalone aluminum entry suffice. Bad editing.

no problem my major is in aerospace engineering so i have study this heavily :P

Saw this project a while back, glad to see its still going.

Nothing beats the awesome sight of hug airships. Alas the many tragic accidents like that which destroyed the Hindenburg effectively killed airships all those years ago.

Once these new age Airships match or beat the size of the originals, then we can so for sure that the airships have returned. For now though, these 'small' ones seem more of a gimmick.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

That looks so cool!

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I feel like you Led me on.....

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k