Windows 10 update - Serious changes to my system

Nomy
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Two questions though.

- Do you suggest doing a clean install yet again of my OS or is there no need? I just reinstalled the uninstalled software and everything seems to work as it should with the exception of the AIO-cooler software.

- I now have a folder named Windows.old on my drive, it's several Gb's in size. Does it delete it itself after a while or do I have to delete it manually?

1- No need.

2- This is to revert back to the previous build of Windows. You do so by going Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Go back to an earlier build. Windows.old will delete itself in 30 days. So if you want to go back, you can. If you do, be sure to check Windows Update "Differ update" check box (Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Updates -> Advanced Options -> Differ upgrades), so that Windows doesn't re-upgrade you back to the latest build once you go back. It will differ the upgrade by up to 3 month. It will also block any other updates beside security updates.

I've been running Windows 10 Pro for quite some time without a single issue, I'm really happy with it.

But today I decided to let windows install a certain update/upgrade that went by the name "something Version 1511", seemed a pretty big update as it took some time and several restarts for it to be done.

Now the following happend:

- it installed a shitload of programs/apps(all from from Microsoft and Asus) which weren't there before

- it uninstalled several programs of mine(CCleaner, Winrar and League of Legends are the ones I've noticed being uninstalled for now) 

- can't get any readings on my cpu temperature anymore through the provided software I have(NZXT Kraken Control)

This isn't normal behaviour in my eyes, or am I wrong? Did I mess something up? Even though I only pressed the "restart now" button.

Wanted to hear if anyone else had this happen to them as I'm quite flustered about this.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I had no issues. I read the notes on it and it didnt seem like that big of a deal as far as updates. Could just be bad luck and got a shitty install.

Are you in the Windows Insider Program? I participate in it, and it usually uninstalls CPU-Z, HWMonitor, and PrefMonitor 2. The fricking ToS give them permission under the excuse that the programs are not compatible.

EDIT: It always does this crap when a new build comes out

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Strangely enough, this update didn't install or uninstall anything for me

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

In fact, Microsoft pulled the update off its servers days after release (November 12th). Now, there's no ISO for it and its not on Windows Update currently. There's only MSX RTM in the ISO section.

I had no issues. I read the notes on it and it didnt seem like that big of a deal as far as updates. Could just be bad luck and got a shitty install.

Are you in the Windows Insider Program? I participate in it, and it usually uninstalls CPU-Z, HWMonitor, and PrefMonitor 2. The fricking ToS give them permission under the excuse that the programs are not compatible.

EDIT: It always does this crap when a new build comes out

I'm not in the Windows Inside Program so that shouldn't be the reason. Guess it might be as LancerBG said and be bad luck.

Though I'm confused as to why it suddenly broke a program(referring to my AIO's software not being able to read cpu temps anymore), even reinstalling didn't work but oh well, no biggie.

Kinda makes me anxious for future updates haha.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I've been running Windows 10 Pro for quite some time without a single issue, I'm really happy with it.

But today I decided to let windows install a certain update/upgrade that went by the name "something Version 1511", seemed a pretty big update as it took some time and several restarts for it to be done.

Now the following happend:

- it installed a shitload of programs/apps(all from from Microsoft and Asus) which weren't there before

- it uninstalled several programs of mine(CCleaner, Winrar and League of Legends are the ones I've noticed being uninstalled for now) 

- can't get any readings on my cpu temperature anymore through the provided software I have(NZXT Kraken Control)

This isn't normal behaviour in my eyes, or am I wrong? Did I mess something up? Even though I only pressed the "restart now" button.

Wanted to hear if anyone else had this happen to them as I'm quite flustered about this.

The update that you got is Windows 10 Threshold 2 (TH2, for short). This is like a Service Pack but includes new features. As you saw, it was not a normal update, you have the Windows 10 upgrade experience.

A big problem that Windows upgrade always had, is that it failed for many users. Same for Service Pack upgrades, making people not upgrade (if it's a Service Pack) until they clean install Windows and try again, and numerous complains on how the version of Windows that they upgraded can't upgrade successfully.

So now, with Windows 10, Microsoft just removes any software AND driver that causes problems with the upgrade process to have a successful install. Could Microsoft fix things to avoid removing drivers and/or software when you upgrade in the future of SOME programs? Possibility. If they figures out how to fix it, or if the software developers figures out why their app is removed in the upgrade process and fixes the issue on their side.

As for NZXT Kraken Control not working, that is sadly the reality of Service Pack's upgrade in Windows. Stuff can break due to files being changed. You have to wait NZXT to upgrade their software. Be sure to inform them about the issue in their support site.

The update that you got is Windows 10 Threshold 2 (TH2, for short). This is like a Service Pack but includes new features. As you saw, it was not a normal update, you have the Windows 10 upgrade experience.

A big problem that Windows upgrade always had, is that it failed for many users. Same for Service Pack upgrades, making people not upgrade (if it's a Service Pack) until they clean install Windows and try again, and numerous complains on how the version of Windows that they upgraded can't upgrade successfully.

So now, with Windows 10, Microsoft just removes any software AND driver that causes problems with the upgrade process to have a successful install. Could Microsoft fix things to avoid removing drivers and/or software when you upgrade in the future of SOME programs? Possibility. If they figures out how to fix it, or if the software developers figures out why their app is removed in the upgrade process and fixes the issue on their side.

As for NZXT Kraken Control not working, that is sadly the reality of Service Pack's upgrade in Windows. Stuff can break due to files being changed. You have to wait NZXT to upgrade their software. Be sure to inform them about the issue in their support site.

Oh I thought that was only the case when one would upgrade from W7/8 to W10 and didn't do a clean install, didn't think this could happend with version upgrades as well.

Good to know, thank you for the information.

Two questions though.

- Do you suggest doing a clean install yet again of my OS or is there no need? I just reinstalled the uninstalled software and everything seems to work as it should with the exception of the AIO-cooler software.

- I now have a folder named Windows.old on my drive, it's several Gb's in size. Does it delete it itself after a while or do I have to delete it manually?

Two questions though.

1- No need.

2- This is to revert back to the previous build of Windows. You do so by going Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Go back to an earlier build. Windows.old will delete itself in 30 days. So if you want to go back, you can. If you do, be sure to check Windows Update "Differ update" check box (Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Updates -> Advanced Options -> Differ upgrades), so that Windows doesn't re-upgrade you back to the latest build once you go back. It will differ the upgrade by up to 3 month. It will also block any other updates beside security updates.