Exynos 8890 first SoC to hit 100,000 on Antutu

patrick3027

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Exynos-8890-SoC-produces-record-AnTuTu-benchmark-score-topping-100000_id76214

The Exynos 8890, Samsung's next high-powered chipset, set a new record score on the AnTuTu benchmark site. The tally of 103,692 easily topped the 79,000 recently scored by the Kirin 950 SoC, Huawei's new top-of-the-line chip.

Back in September, the Exynos 8890 rewrote the record books at Geekbench. The chip scored an all-time high of 6908 on the multi-core segment of the test. On the single-core test, the Exynos 8890 produced a 2294 score. The chip is produced by Samsung using the 14nm FinFET process. According to earlier reports, Samsung will be employing the Snapdragon 820 for U.S. and Chinese variants of the Galaxy S7. The rest of the world will get the version with the Exynos 8890 under the hood.

This is absolutely crazy, when did we reach 50000? 2013 or something like that?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

inb4

"The Compiler isn't optimized" (so tests are inaccurate)

OR

"The Compiler is hazardously optimized for it, but not other SOC's"

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Can it run pacman at decent FPS?

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

May I ask what the point is? What is anyone going to do with that much power on a phone? Why don't we focus on larger batteries and less ridiculous prices?

why not both?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

why not both?

They're genrally mutually exclusive. But if we could all three, sure, why not? Although of course, if this was 300$, I'd wonder why we don't have a less powerful version for 150 bucks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They're genrally mutually exclusive. But if we could all three, sure, why not? Although of course, if this was 300$, I'd wonder why we don't have a less powerful version for 150 bucks.

the new mi note has a 4 Ah battery, a strong SoC and only costs 200$ for the higher model. So its technically already done

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

May I ask what the point is? What is anyone going to do with that much power on a phone? Why don't we focus on larger batteries and less ridiculous prices?

We need more power for full disk encryption (which is becoming mandatory for new high-end Android phones with Android 6.0).

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review/4

Performance of the 5X has been sub-par thus far and I think FDE should be blamed.

the new mi note has a 4 Ah battery, a strong SoC and only costs 200$ for the higher model. So its technically already done

but then it lacks high end features like oled. If we could get something like the oneplus x with twice the battery life and the few things it doesn't have, now that would be pretty much perfect.

We need more power for full disk encryption (which is becoming mandatory for new high-end Android phones with Android 6.0).

Performance of the 5X has been sub-par thus far and I think FDE should be blamed.

Performance while doing what? Running 3dmark? What's the practical use for more performance? Your apps won't load any faster or run any more smoothly, we've pretty much reached the upper limit for that. It's the same as shoving more pixels in screens that are below 6", beyond 1080p what's the point?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What's the practical use for more performance? Your apps won't load any faster or run any more smoothly, we've pretty much reached the upper limit for that.

I beg to differ: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-5X-seems-to-have-some-serious-lag-issues-have-you-experienced-any_id76150

there are four main areas that users complain about: encryption, camera slow-downs, throttling and lag.

All right, but I really think it's a software problem more than anything else. Also, fde is only truly useful in a business setting. If they want to make faster enterprise phones, fair enough, but for consumers it's just unnecessary.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The solution to countering the performance hit caused by FDE isn't to make a beefy SoC per se. It's much simpler. Make a fixed function block, whether it's integrated in the SoC or not, for encryption/decryption and it'll be smooth as hell, little to no performance difference and little to no battery drain. Apple has done it for years and Qualcomm at least have the capability, if not the option, to do it as well.

The solution to countering the performance hit caused by FDE isn't to make a beefy SoC per se. It's much simpler. Make a fixed function block, whether it's integrated in the SoC or not, for encryption/decryption and it'll be smooth as hell, little to no performance difference and little to no battery drain. Apple has done it for years and Qualcomm at least have the capability, if not the option, to do it as well.

Qualcomm has actually already done it. Samsung is doing it in hardware as well on their chips (not sure if it is in the eMMC or the SoC).

The problem on Nexus devices (from what I know, I haven't done that much research) is that Google is not implementing support for qcrypto. I am not entirely sure why they aren't doing it (it would fix all performance issues with FDE on Nexus devices) but it is probably because it relies on a bunch of proprietary crap from Qualcomm. It seems like Google does not want to implement all that in stock Android. Someone hacked together a kernel which took advantage of it on the Nexus 6 and storage performance went way up (something like double read/write performance), but there were of stability issues.

But yeah, getting a beefier CPU is a solution, but it's a very "primitive" solution. Hardware accelerating it is far better.

but then it lacks high end features like oled. If we could get something like the oneplus x with twice the battery life and the few things it doesn't have, now that would be pretty much perfect.

Performance while doing what? Running 3dmark? What's the practical use for more performance? Your apps won't load any faster or run any more smoothly, we've pretty much reached the upper limit for that. It's the same as shoving more pixels in screens that are below 6", beyond 1080p what's the point?

OLED, at least with my experience with it on the GS6E is that it's still not ready. If you want accurate colors, you have to use the basic color profile. That's fine if you only use your phone indoors because once your outdoors with autobrightness turned on, it'll automatically switch to the adaptive color profile with overblown colors when it needs to boost brightness. This might be a bug with my unit or the current firmware, but the camera app only uses the adaptive color profile instead of the current active color profile so whatever you see in the camera ui isn't what you actually take a picture of, the colors are overblown and you can't tell if the colors you capture are accurate or not. 

Higher performance leads to racing to sleep much faster so that you spend less time in the highest performance state and less in idle states where you're sipping power. That's been Intel or nvidia's strategy (can't remember off of the top of my head) for the past couple years- for every 2% increase in performance, there needs to be 1% increase in efficiency. 

Snip

inb4 TouchWiz and all of it's K-Pop music video simulator animations make this SOC run at full tilt all the time that makes it get an hour and a half of SOT.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

I wonder how much clocked it was for that test. As far as single-core test it's far behind from A9X though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I FU***** KNEW ID REGRET MY NEXUS 6P PURCHASE. I knew this jump in soc finfet would MAKE HUGE GAINS BUT 100K HOLY MOTHR.... KK ill be selling nexus 6p and buying next year nexus with SD 820

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

Sort of impressive I guess? I'll wait for some real world numbers and devices until I get too excited about it. I mean sure, it'll use a little less power and that's always nice, but I'd really like to see them implement some advances in screens on their phones, like the tech that eliminates one of the layers the light has to pass through, saving 50% of the screen usage.

That's where we'll see some real battery life savings.

I get what you mean here, but I think you're misunderstanding something. It's not like every phone manufacturer produces the batteries they use. AFAIK most order from a catalog of hundreds of different types of cells. Also, I believe Samsung is currently working on improved battery design. It just hasn't made it to a device yet.

The SoC department does not work on batteries. They have different R&D departments for each. Processors are probably just easier to advance.

I FU***** KNEW ID REGRET MY NEXUS 6P PURCHASE. I knew this jump in soc finfet would MAKE HUGE GAINS BUT 100K HOLY MOTHR.... KK ill be selling nexus 6p and buying next year nexus with SD 820

I wouldn't regret it. You're still a whole year away from the next Nexus release. You may as well just rock it until it comes out.

There will always be something great just around the corner.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

It has nothing to do with full disk encryption.  Mid-high end SoC's all have a dedicated encryption chip that is separate from the SoC that does all the encrypt and decrypt work.  That is why the S6 performs exactly the same in storage tests with or without encryption.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I get what you mean here, but I think you're misunderstanding something. It's not like every phone manufacturer produces the batteries they use. AFAIK most order from a catalog of hundreds of different types of cells. Also, I believe Samsung is currently working on improved battery design. It just hasn't made it to a device yet.

The SoC department does not work on batteries. They have different R&D departments for each. Processors are probably just easier to advance.

They could also just halve the core count so it draws less power. Or stuff twice as much battery in the phone, regardless of how efficient said battery is.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

They could also just halve the core count so it draws less power. Or stuff twice as much battery in the phone, regardless of how efficient said battery is.

Again, do you actually think the team responsible for developing Samsung's SoC has anything to do with the team that designs the phones? Sure they're in communication with each other, but it's not like they're in the decision making process for the device. This isn't a company like OnePlus where there's maybe a couple hundred employees.

Twice the battery means twice the thickness and a huge increase in weight, which is an issue with larger devices. I wouldn't want my Note to be any heavier.

The SoC draws a very small amount of power in the grand scheme of things. Halving the number of cores really wouldn't save that much battery life at all. You'd be better off looking at better radio management, and advances in panel technology to achieve better battery life.

I fail to see why you're so up-in-arms over advancement.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Again, do you actually think the team responsible for developing Samsung's SoC has anything to do with the team that designs the phones? Sure they're in communication with each other, but it's not like they're in the decision making process for the device. This isn't a company like OnePlus where there's maybe a couple hundred employees.

Twice the battery means twice the thickness and a huge increase in weight, which is an issue with larger devices. I wouldn't want my Note to be any heavier.

The SoC draws a very small amount of power in the grand scheme of things. Halving the number of cores really wouldn't save that much battery life at all. You'd be better off looking at better radio management, and advances in panel technology to achieve better battery life.

I fail to see why you're so up-in-arms over advancement.

there must still be a department that decides what both of those divisions need to focus on. I'm not against advancement in any way, but I'm against the idea of 850$ phones when we could be having a just as good experience on a 300$ one, but it simply doesn't happen because samsung etc. are so absorbed in trying to be the fastest at all costs. This sort of soc would be amazing in compute modules on the raspberry pi model (but obviously more expensive, in proportion with the power boost), whereas a phone would benefit more from medium performance, but extremely power sipping chips.

On a side nore, we have reached a point where you could legitimately use an arm soc for desktop grade tasks and get intel off its ass, stuffing them in a phone seems pointless when all it does is push the price up and limit the performance potential. Imagine a version of this with 12 high performance cores and none of the heat concerns, comfortably housed in a small form factor desktop pc - it would probably give i3s a run for their money.

I do get that phones sell more though, it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to a practical minded guy like me is all.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

This is absolutely crazy, when did we reach 50000? 2013 or something like that?

Moore's Law man. Thank god it exists :rolleyes: