Sony unlocks PS4's 7th Processing Core for developers.

the PS4 has a ARM Co-processor dealing with minor system tasks... the last core is prolly just for core OS alone...

messaging can easily be done by the ARM core

I wonder if there would be large improvements if they had an ARM Co-processor similar to what is in the Pi Zero......I mean that thing costs $5 total so the upgrade would have practically no impact on the price of the PS4.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wonder if there would be large improvements if they had an ARM Co-processor similar to what is in the Pi Zero......I mean that thing costs $5 total so the upgrade would have practically no impact on the price of the PS4.

i dunno what type of core is in the PS4... but remember that it is X86 based... so whatever arm core is in there is prolly ill suited to run the software..

if they had say one of those K12 cores AMD has been working on, then maybe? They are x86-64 compliant ....

i dunno what type of core is in the PS4... but remember that it is X86 based... so whatever arm core is in there is prolly ill suited to run the software..

if they had say one of those K12 cores AMD has been working on, then maybe? They are x86-64 compliant ....

Well considering their current contract with AMD, maybe they might end up with K12 based co-processors in the future (K12 should be the successor to K10-and Zen should be the ARM architecture).

PMSL

The circlejerk is really strong around here, though I expected no less.

But like the others, I see little advantage to this. It may help some games, but in what scenario is there a CPU-bound bottleneck with software that is purpose built for the hardware?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

The gpu will still hold it back, so it won't really make a difference.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

They're using the same Jaguar cores as the Xbox One. That's the same architecture as the Sempron/Athlon AM1 chips as well as some chips from the A6, A4, E2 and E1 series.

Wait, you're talking about the ARM cores, aren't you? Whoops. But the launch of K12 based chips isn't set until 2017, so I'd be surprised if the technology were introduced 5 years earlier.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

They're using the same Jaguar cores as the Xbox One. That's the same architecture as the Sempron/Athlon AM1 chips as well as some chips from the A6, A4, E2 and E1 series.

Wait, you're talking about the ARM cores, aren't you? Whoops. But the launch of K12 based chips isn't set until 2017, so I'd be surprised if the technology were introduced 5 years earlier.

ZEN is K11? K12 is ARM based meant for servers

Maybe Witcher 3 will finally run 30 fps?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

ZEN is K11? K12 is ARM based meant for servers

Zen is K11? Well that makes more sense.

PMSL

But like the others, I see little advantage to this. It may help some games, but in what scenario is there a CPU-bound bottleneck with software that is purpose built for the hardware?

uhm cuz its 7 LAPTOP CORES, that has been UNDERCLOCKED from 2.1GHz "stock" to 1.6GHz???

uhm cuz its 7 LAPTOP CORES, that has been UNDERCLOCKED from 2.1GHz "stock" to 1.6GHz???

*sigh* to think that a Phenom II N970 is actually better for playing games than it despite the lower core count.

PMSL

I predict new consoles by 2018.

Since it's already struggling

This is the silliest logic

A set of hardware doesn't "struggle." You just need to utilize the hardware better

Do you think it made sense to say that in 2008 when the ps3 and 360 were dropping below 30?

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

The gpu will still hold it back, so it won't really make a difference.

You got that backwards. The GPU in the PS4 is really powerful. You just have to compromise a lot of things to make up for the lack of CPU power.

But like the others, I see little advantage to this. It may help some games, but in what scenario is there a CPU-bound bottleneck with software that is purpose built for the hardware?

ACunity, Alien Isolation, there's been quite a few

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

This is the silliest logic

A set of hardware doesn't "struggle." You just need to utilize the hardware better

Do you think it made sense to say that in 2008 when the ps3 and 360 were dropping below 30?

Think back to the original Xbox, which by the time the Xbox 360 launched was struggling to keep a constant 30FPS in games which where physics heavy (eg. Mechassault 2 Lone Wolf). Except this console generation hasn't started far ahead or level with PC of the same age, therefore they need a successor that much sooner.

PMSL

Think back to the original Xbox, which by the time the Xbox 360 launched was struggling to keep a constant 30FPS in games which where physics heavy (eg. Mechassault 2 Lone Wolf). Except this console generation hasn't started far ahead or level with PC of the same age, therefore they need a successor that much sooner.

Didn't Half-Life 2, which has a lot of physics puzzles, also suffer from frame rate drops on the Xbox? Then again, the Xbox had a Pentium III when Source was designed for at least the Pentium 4.

Didn't Half-Life 2, which has a lot of physics puzzles, also suffer from frame rate drops on the Xbox? Then again, the Xbox had a Pentium III when Source was designed for at least the Pentium 4.

I wouldn't know-still haven't bought it for my Xbox (and yes I'd do that despite having a rig that can run anything at full settings).

PMSL

I wouldn't know-still haven't bought it for my Xbox (and yes I'd do that despite having a rig that can run anything at full settings).

I think I've seen a video of it and noticing the frame rate dropping into the teens during intense firefights and moments with heavy physics (e.g. Strider collapsing, hundreds of explosive barrels going off). Then again, I don't own a working Xbox and Half-Life 2 on the Xbox, so I can't verify if those frame drops are indeed in the game, but based on what I've heard and seen the Xbox version of Half-Life 2 had some pretty nasty frame rate drops.

I think I've seen a video of it and noticing the frame rate dropping into the teens during intense firefights and moments with heavy physics (e.g. Strider collapsing, hundreds of explosive barrels going off). Then again, I don't own a working Xbox and Half-Life 2 on the Xbox, so I can't verify if those frame drops are indeed in the game, but based on what I've heard and seen the Xbox version of Half-Life 2 had some pretty nasty frame rate drops.

Either way, devs just got to the point where their games just couldn't run smoothly on the Xbox due to its hardware.

PMSL

great. Probably will have laggy menu's like ps3 did in game. 

Yes, ps3 menus are terrible.

Either way, devs just got to the point where their games just couldn't run smoothly on the Xbox due to its hardware.

Yeah. Perhaps a 733MHz Pentium III wasn't the best CPU to use in the long term (although considering the limited airflow due to the ODD being right above the CPU fan, maybe that's why a slower CPU was used?)

Yeah. Perhaps a 733MHz Pentium III wasn't the best CPU to use in the long term (although considering the limited airflow due to the ODD being right above the CPU fan, maybe that's why a slower CPU was used?)

You can use a Pentium III 1.4GHz in it after a bit of mucking around so I'd say cost was the important factor.

PMSL

You can use a Pentium III 1.4GHz in it after a bit of mucking around so I'd say cost was the important factor.

Most likely, yeah. Intel isn't exactly known for being cheap.