TUF Silent R5 [ Build Log ] - AMD TO INTEL

desertcomputer

Goals:

To create a silent but still enough raw performance but without the massive turbines. I have been planing this building for over a year now and it finally arrived. The fact is my current PC is still really loud even under my desk and it has been collecting dust for pass year or so. The main reason is the fact the fan sound is so annoying i cant concentrating when im doing work or when im gaming with headsets on. Cause I don't want to wear my headphones while i work... cause it getting quite hot in Australia especially in coming month. I will be selling all old Parts or re using them for family/friend build expect for hard drives of course but i really hope i get some money from these old parts to get some Steam Game over the holidays. This built might be seem overkill for autodesk/adobe and gaming at 1080p but im trying to focus not upgrading any of main parts such as motherboard/CPU/Cooler/case/PSU in like 3-5 years and still allow me to upgrade in future such as GPU. This is AMD to Intel Build. 

Build: 

Fractal Design Define R5 Mid Tower Blackout Edition with Window [ Arrived ]

Intel Core i7 6700K [ Arrived  ] 

ASUS Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Motherboard [ Arrived ]

Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 140mm PWM Fan [ Arrived ]

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 Red [ Arrived ]

Noctua NH-D15 Multi-Socket PWM CPU Cooler [ Arrived ]

MSI 980TI 6G [ Arrived ] - From Old Build. 

Corsair RM850x 850W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular Power Supply [ Arrived ]

Samsung EVO 500GB [  

OCZ 240GB [ Arrived ] - From old build.

2TB SEAGATE  HHD [ Arrived ] - From old build.

You may have notice i have chosen windowed version, and you might say "I thought this was going to be silent??". I going to create a custom fan profile in meaning my fan will ran at lowest RPM or not even run depending which fan when the system is at Idle and not intensive work loads and due the fact the motherboard is sabertooth i could set each fan to react with temperature depend on load/temperatures.  

News:

Creating some custom headings while I wait for stuff to arrive. 

Update [11/28/2015] : Most of my stuff will arrived mid next week due the fact it slow Australia Post but I'm hoping to get my main build started off as for Processors and SSD i have a friend overseas who will sent this part over as this Second Hand Christmas Present (The SSD in second hand, so i might want to see if he really cleared his drive and if it has any stuff on it :P). I overall build should be finished the earliest end of the next week or the following week depending the Postage of of course.  Will be posting photo in coming days. To make it easy to view i will just update the original post but include "Post with updated stuff will most likely to be pictures" I have order some of stuff like : Fan/Motherboard/Ram/Case. So if you any suggestion feel free to comment below. 

Update [11/29/2015] : Finish off ordering my last part, although there wont ship on weekends so the order is still pending but i will presume it will be sent on Monday as all the item i order is in Stock at the time of order. I have added some photos of MSI 980ti Box the actual card is currently in the box after i removed from my current rig to use my 750ti which a friend gave me. I will add more photos in coming days around Wednesday - Friday when most of stuff arrived. Sorry for shit photo quality as I'm using my Nexus 5 to takes these photos as i don't really any DSR or fancy cameras apart from one which is owned by my dad but he misplaced his charger so yea.

980ti MSI

ux4Bs2V.jpg

Update [12/1/2015 ] : PSU (RMx 850) and NH D-15 has arrived :D. The ETA on the case and rest of stuff is arriving probably on Friday or following week if Australia Post  deliveries on time. I will be taking photos once their out of their boxes as there is nothing to look at but boxes. 

Update [12/3/2015] : Well kinda bad news, rest of parts will arrived next Monday according to Australia Post but there also expected on Friday-Tuesday[Next week] but there is no a single update on the tracking number so Im presuming wit will arrive on Monday. My package from overseas will also arrived on Friday/Monday. 

Update [1/10/2016]Sorry for late updates as i had received all the item but been quiet busy during the holiday period. The build was completed a few day ago but I had some problems with Window 10 Pro N, so i had reinstall OS three times due to separated issues. The actual build didn't come with much issues, the cable management is not the greatest but from window side view you cant see a thing due the massive cooler. I have also added some RGB LED lighting to bling up the build a bit. 

The main goal of having a silent PC was meet, due idle and light application usage sound is not audible unless you really try to hear it. During gaming/load the fan does ramp up but with headphones on you can hear a thing. Compare to my old PC the sound at idle was much higher at load for my new "Sexy Blue Silent Panther" or SBS. (Really need a new name). I have include some photo you may like. If you want more photo feel free to ask.   

Currently it summer in Australia and I see no point at the moment to overclock, i have changed boost clock to around 4.5ghz and base is the same. 

Here is my 3Dmark Benchmark (Stock) 

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7138968

Cooler - Much larger in person i would say. 

LtQ4oRH.jpg

I have place the ram in right DIM in final build. 

sb4LQ9k.jpg

Ig0rS3n.jpg

Cable management could improve. 

seioHAG.jpg

SNRDRm8.jpg

bmTyLn8.jpgSBUDPDi.jpg

Edited by MrUnknownEMC

Magical Pineapples

Looks like a sweet build.

I hope you have a better time than others...

“We tried to deliver your package, but you weren’t home,”

.....in regards to Australia Post.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/failed-to-deliver-lazy-australia-post-driver-caught-on-camera/news-story/29a15d90108b38f57a2b4730f89fccdd

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Looks like a sweet build.

I hope you have a better time than others...

“We tried to deliver your package, but you weren’t home,”

.....in regards to Australia Post.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/failed-to-deliver-lazy-australia-post-driver-caught-on-camera/news-story/29a15d90108b38f57a2b4730f89fccdd

Well had not really a problem cause of of time I pick it up at post office but this time I can't due to size but I will probs be at yard doing work.. I will make sure there won't miss me. Lol

Magical Pineapples

Well had not really a problem cause of of time I pick it up at post office but this time I can't due to size but I will probs be at yard doing work.. I will make sure there won't miss me. Lol

Put a sign out front,

"Smile, Your being watched on CCTV"

Just to be sure :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Put a sign out front,

"Smile, Your being watched on CCTV"

Just to be sure :)

I will just grab a chair and sit on the driveway. 

Magical Pineapples

Update [11/29/2015] : Finish off ordering my last part, although there wont ship on weekends so the order is still pending but i will presume it will be sent on Monday as all the item i order is in Stock at the time of order. I have added some photos of MSI 980ti Box the actual card is currently in the box after i removed from my current rig to use my 750ti which a friend gave me. I will add more photos in coming days around Wednesday - Friday when most of stuff arrived. Sorry for shit photo quality as I'm using my Nexus 5 to takes these photos as i don't really any DSR or fancy cameras apart from one which is owned by my dad but he misplaced his charger so yea.

980ti MSI

ux4Bs2V.jpg

Magical Pineapples

Update [11/29/2015] :Sorry for shit photo quality as I'm using my Nexus 5 to takes these photos as i don't really any DSR or fancy cameras apart from one which is owned by my dad but he misplaced his charger so yea.

This is Not a DIG at you...

But I've always wondered why people in general apologize for photo's such as these when they are not even that bad...

Not everyone can own a decent camera.

Looks fine to me, I can still make out what it is...

/Next week should be much fun for you :)

Due the small update I have included both days. 

Update [12/1/2015 ] : PSU (RMx 850) and NH D-15 has arrived  :D. The ETA on the case and rest of stuff is arriving probably on Friday or following week if Australia Post  deliveries on time. I will be taking photos once their out of their boxes as there is nothing to look at but boxes. 

Update [12/3/2015] : Well kinda bad news, rest of parts will arrived next Monday according to Australia Post but there also expected on Friday-Tuesday[Next week] but there is no a single update on the tracking number so Im presuming wit will arrive on Monday. My package from overseas will also arrived on Friday/Monday. 

Magical Pineapples

• 1 month later...

Sorry for late updates as i had received all the item but been quiet busy during the holiday period. The build was completed a few day ago but I had some problems with Window 10 Pro N, so i had reinstall OS three times due to separated issues. The actual build didn't come with much issues, the cable management is not the greatest but from window side view you cant see a thing due the massive cooler. I have also added some RGB LED lighting to bling up the build a bit. 

The main goal of having a silent PC was meet, due idle and light application usage sound is not audible unless you really try to hear it. During gaming/load the fan does ramp up but with headphones on you can hear a thing. Compare to my old PC the sound at idle was much higher at load for my new "Sexy Blue Silent Panther" or SBS. (Really need a new name). I have include some photo you may like. If you want more photo feel free to ask.   

Currently it summer in Australia and I see no point at the moment to overclock, i have changed boost clock to around 4.5ghz and base is the same. 

Here is my 3Dmark Benchmark (Stock) 

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7138968

Cooler - Much larger in person i would say. 

LtQ4oRH.jpg

I have place the ram in right DIM in final build. 

sb4LQ9k.jpg

Ig0rS3n.jpg

Cable management could improve. 

seioHAG.jpg

SNRDRm8.jpg

bmTyLn8.jpgSBUDPDi.jpg

Magical Pineapples