1440p or 4k for single GPU gaming?

So I just ordered myself an ASUS ROG Swift pg279q (heavily influenced by Linus' review) as I have been waiting for it to come in stock for a while. However, I was contemplating getting the pg27aq instead when it comes out.

They are both IPS gsync monitors, but the pg279q is 1440@165 while the pg27aq is 4k@60.

I am either going to buy a 980ti after the price drops next week or buy the pascal equivalent of the 980ti when it releases. 

I do NOT plan to SLI at anytime in the future.

My question is, is a 980ti overkill for 1440p? Should I have went with 4k? Will pascal's $650 flagship be able to buttery smooth 4k game on a single GPU? What should I do guys?

No single GPU is overkill for 4K at the moment. 980 Ti works well with 1440p and will be harder to drive 4K.

Go 1440

Thanks for the quick response! Do you think pascal will be overkill for 1440p? I'm just worried that a year down the line everyone will be 4k gaming with a pascal card affordably and I'll be sitting on my thumb at 1440p.

Possibly the flagship card, but I'm not even betting on that.

I think 1440p will be viable for some time.

This video kinda makes me feel better. Looks like it's right in the sweetspot. Thanks for the advice man.

1440p

A 980ti certainly isn't overkill for a 144Hz 1440p monitor.

At the moment it's a choice between high refresh rate 1440p or 4K at 60Hz max. It's very much a personal preference thing there is no 'right' choice. If you don't plan on upgrading for a while, the GPU would last you longer with a 1440p monitor than 4K, which could see a 980ti struggling in a year or two.

I certainly wouldn't worry about being stuck on 1440p while everyone else is gaming at 4K, most people will be on 1080p for some time yet.

A 980ti certainly isn't overkill for a 144Hz 1440p monitor.

At the moment it's a choice between high refresh rate 1440p or 4K at 60Hz max. It's very much a personal preference thing there is no 'right' choice. If you don't plan on upgrading for a while, the GPU would last you longer with a 1440p monitor than 4K, which could see a 980ti struggling in a year or two.

I certainly wouldn't worry about being stuck on 1440p while everyone else is gaming at 4K, most people will be on 1080p for some time yet.

I do have a question,

If a 980ti can run games at like 40 fps in 4k, and gsync will make that experience more smooth. and a 980ti can run games in 1440p at like 60-70 fps, then why does a 1440p monitor even need gsync? you obviously won't see any tearing because your running at almost half of the refresh rate of the monitor.

1440p

I figured maybe you'd be able to answer this same question^

I do have a question,

If a 980ti can run games at like 40 fps in 4k, and gsync will make that experience more smooth. and a 980ti can run games in 1440p at like 60-70 fps, then why does a 1440p monitor even need gsync? you obviously won't see any tearing because your running at almost half of the refresh rate of the monitor.

It matches the monitors refresh rate to the FPS the GPU is outputting, or will cap the GPU at the monitor max refresh rate, to eliminate tearing. Also some badly optimised console ports, even the 980ti may struggle.