Bios update 66% performance decrease?

toxicandy
I have an i7 4790k, msi 980 ti seahawk and an ASUS ROG maximus VI extreme Mobo and it was running fine 600 fps in cs:go but after updating my Bios from the stock 1505 to 16xx I get like 200 fps. what settings in the bios would likely cause this? I do stream onto twitch so I have the intel 4600 series graphics enabled for more fps as I can use quick sync in OBS. I have the main graphics running off of PCIe and in obs it is set to encode with the 4600 series graphics but I am fairly certain the pc should be running on the sea hawk. Also a side note, when I updated the bios yesterday I got an error from windows 10 when trying to boot right after post before the windows logo, I ran the windows repair utility and it said it failed to fix it but my OS worked afterward just fine. Let me know if there is any more information I can provide. 

PS cpu is at roughly 60 percent when streaming cs:go and boosting to 4.3 according to task manager and cpu-z.

Here's the killer question: why did you do a bios upgrade?

Well I was reading around on an issue I had which is my BenQ xl2720z will usually say "No signal detected" and also sometimes when launching games it will say "Signal out of range" and how I fix them is either

1.  restarting my PC
  2. switching display ports that the monitor is plugged into
  3. (for fixing out of range) switch to 60hz then back to 144hz

I read that updating the bios fixes that specific issue with that motherboard. I tried it and well now low fps and that problem persists. My next idea is to switch the benQ over to DVI-D and run it at 144hz over DVI-D and hopefully fix it. But that is why I updated my bios because I was trying to fix those issues and researching the problems I found flashing the new bios update fixes the issue.

Well I was reading around on an issue I had which is my BenQ xl2720z will usually say "No signal detected" and also sometimes when launching games it will say "Signal out of range" and how I fix them is either

1.  restarting my PC
  2. switching display ports that the monitor is plugged into
  3. (for fixing out of range) switch to 60hz then back to 144hz

I read that updating the bios fixes that specific issue with that motherboard. I tried it and well now low fps and that problem persists. My next idea is to switch the benQ over to DVI-D and run it at 144hz over DVI-D and hopefully fix it. But that is why I updated my bios because I was trying to fix those issues and researching the problems I found flashing the new bios update fixes the issue.

Sounds like a GPU/driver issue, not BIOS.

Sounds like a GPU/driver issue, not BIOS.

GPU driver is up to date according to nvida control panel but I know for a fact there have been multiple occurrences where older version were much more stable then new driver version, would you personally recommend downgrading the drivers one or two versions to see if that resolves issues?

GPU driver is up to date according to nvida control panel but I know for a fact there have been multiple occurrences where older version were much more stable then new driver version, would you personally recommend downgrading the drivers one or two versions to see if that resolves issues?

I would recommend at least trying to do a super clean install of the driver:

Run Display Driver Uninstaller: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then install the driver again, either downgraded or the latest, your choice :)

I would recommend at least trying to do a super clean install of the driver:

Run Display Driver Uninstaller: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Then install the driver again, either downgraded or the latest, your choice :)

Don't install a driver after DDU has finished, instead get the latest GeForce Experience and let that update the driver automatically.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Don't install a driver after DDU has finished, instead get the latest GeForce Experience and let that update the driver automatically.

GeForce Experience is gross...

/personal opinion

GeForce Experience is gross...

/personal opinion

I agree and I did both stated above and still limited FPS... Weird.]

I agree and I did both stated above and still limited FPS... Weird.]

Download a program called "GPU-Z", look at the sensors tab and see if anything unusual shows while you're playing your game.

Unusual things:

-Extremely high temperatures > 80°C

-Low GPU usage

-Voltage spikes

Download a program called "GPU-Z", look at the sensors tab and see if anything unusual shows while you're playing your game.

Unusual things:

-Extremely high temperatures > 80°C

-Low GPU usage

-Voltage spikes

At first I thought that was the issue, my GPU core speed was 800MHz and the Memory was 800MHz however I realized that on the bottom of GPU-Z I was looking at the intel 4600 series graphics, upon switching to the 980 TI the Memory and Core were both at what they should be with no spikes or abnormal temperatures. I also flashed back to 1506 bios version and the FPS is slightly higher (300-600). 

At first I thought that was the issue, my GPU core speed was 800MHz and the Memory was 800MHz however I realized that on the bottom of GPU-Z I was looking at the intel 4600 series graphics, upon switching to the 980 TI the Memory and Core were both at what they should be with no spikes or abnormal temperatures. I also flashed back to 1506 bios version and the FPS is slightly higher (300-600). 

Well if the GPU is at max load, there's nothing to fix :P

One weird occurrence that is happening now that I went back to bios version 1506 is that I bluescreen randomly when I have my OBS streaming to twitch and some game. The BSOD message is netio.sys and looking at the dumps it said process_name was AVP.exe which is kaspersky but it wasn't happening before the bios downgrade nor was it happening when I originally had bios version 1506, I think I am going to try and reupgrade to bios 1605 and see if that resolves it. But I do have a question, when I upgrade to 1605 I get one more bios option in the area where I enable multi gpu rendering. In 1506 my options are something like primary display and enable I-GPU but I have something like memory speed in 1605 it it goes from like 2MB to 1024MB, what is the suggested setting for that? In 1506 I don't have the option to change it and I think it is defaulted at 64MB, should I use that in 1605?

One weird occurrence that is happening now that I went back to bios version 1506 is that I bluescreen randomly when I have my OBS streaming to twitch and some game. The BSOD message is netio.sys and looking at the dumps it said process_name was AVP.exe which is kaspersky but it wasn't happening before the bios downgrade nor was it happening when I originally had bios version 1506, I think I am going to try and reupgrade to bios 1605 and see if that resolves it. But I do have a question, when I upgrade to 1605 I get one more bios option in the area where I enable multi gpu rendering. In 1506 my options are something like primary display and enable I-GPU but I have something like memory speed in 1605 it it goes from like 2MB to 1024MB, what is the suggested setting for that? In 1506 I don't have the option to change it and I think it is defaulted at 64MB, should I use that in 1605?

Maybe you shouldn't use your iGPU for anything, see if that fixes things?

Maybe you shouldn't use your iGPU for anything, see if that fixes things?

I will try that however now I am getting what I think is really strange. On my desktop my i7 runs at 4.00 ghz, fine, that's cool right. Sometimes I see it go to 4.19 ghz on the desktop, also not too concerned, BUT when I play APB:R (a gamer's first game) it literally stays at 3.6ghz and doesn't budge. Why would it do that? Any ideas?

I will try that however now I am getting what I think is really strange. On my desktop my i7 runs at 4.00 ghz, fine, that's cool right. Sometimes I see it go to 4.19 ghz on the desktop, also not too concerned, BUT when I play APB:R (a gamer's first game) it literally stays at 3.6ghz and doesn't budge. Why would it do that? Any ideas?

Depends on what program you use to monitor the clockspeeds, taskmanager is NOT a good one!

Could be turbo boost...

Depends on what program you use to monitor the clockspeeds, taskmanager is NOT a good one!

Could be turbo boost...

I was using CPU-Z

EDIT

I updated Windows, Reflashed 1603 bios version and uninstalled weather channel app and FPS in APB is fixed. CS:GO is still like 200 fps ish which is super weird but whatever. I turned off I-GPU but I may try turing it back on eventually to test if that was the Bluescreen issue or APB issue. Event viewer had Critical Errors from Weather channel app which is why I uninstalled it but so far so good, Thanks for everything, I will post back if it changes in the next day.

I was using CPU-Z

EDIT

I updated Windows, Reflashed 1603 bios version and uninstalled weather channel app and FPS in APB is fixed. CS:GO is still like 200 fps ish which is super weird but whatever. I turned off I-GPU but I may try turing it back on eventually to test if that was the Bluescreen issue or APB issue. Event viewer had Critical Errors from Weather channel app which is why I uninstalled it but so far so good, Thanks for everything, I will post back if it changes in the next day.

Okay then it's turbo boost, your processor can boost up to 4.4GHz, but only if it's needed.

If it goes lower than 4GHz, it's doing that to save power, as it's apparently not needed. Something else might be bottlenecking (your RAM? who knows)

Okay then it's turbo boost, your processor can boost up to 4.4GHz, but only if it's needed.

If it goes lower than 4GHz, it's doing that to save power, as it's apparently not needed. Something else might be bottlenecking (your RAM? who knows)

Ram is 1600mhz 16gig kit 2x8. Kingston something. It seems to be hardly bothered

Ram is 1600mhz 16gig kit 2x8. Kingston something. It seems to be hardly bothered

Maybe the new BIOS has some new power saving settings, I'd recommend checking there.