Black Friday GTX 970 or R9 390

Medic47

So I want to get my dad a gpu for Christmas and my local computer store has a gtx 970 for 410 CDN and also the newer r9 390 for the same price. Now I saw Jays video on this card and it beat it in almost every game (not by much though) so for the same price what would you choose.

Granted he's always liked AMD, he currently has a old 6870 I believe.

Thanks for the advice

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX53934 (970)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58406 (390)

The 390 is better yes

But jay is not AMD guy at all

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Kind of depends on what he does, if just gaming 390 all the way though there are other tasks that benefit from Nvidia hardware.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Amd is better but get the NVIDIA one in the name of NVIDIA

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

I'd get a 390 and I actually like Nvidia, just go for MSI or sapphire (I prefer the former customer service) as they are better

WHY??? This is so fricking stupid...

I believe that was sarcasm or for the sake of troll

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Thanks for the replies will probably go with the 390, it's mostly FPS and racing games he plays

Truly the dumbest thing I've ever read if you were serious.

To op, get the 390. It's better for gaming, end of story.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

for everyone confused... im joking. I check the FPS per dollar and the AMD one destroys the NVIDIA one. 

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

R9 390 - avoid Asus or Gigabrick

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It freaking sucks buying hardware in Canada right now, the dollar is so low causing affordable cards to be too expensive.970s are regularly 480, 980s are like 650 right now and titans are around 1400...

Are Asus cards worse due to customer service? This store has a in store warranty and we get replacements from them directly. Or are they just worse for performance?

i hope you didnt buy the ASUS card... those STRIX/DCUII coolers arent that good... they REALLY arent

I haven't bought anything yet and this one has the new Direct CUIII cooler

Are Asus cards worse due to customer service? This store has a in store warranty and we get replacements from them directly. Or are they just worse for performance?

Customer support, i dunno.. some say Asus customer support is fine, others say its atrocious. I havent had the pleasure/pain to deal with them yet

but their coolers are weaker, louder and sometimes, struggles to keep card running at stock clocks..

MSI, Sapphire, XFX, Powercolor, Club3D.... anything is better then Asus or Gigabyte..

In Gigabytes case, A LOT of their AMD cards (the whole range really) has been shipped with broken BIOS, broken fans or fans that break within like a couple of months...

I haven't bought anything yet and this one has the new Direct CUIII cooler

DCUIII is the same as DCUII... its just a rebrand...

you see, what ASUS does is use NVIDIA coolers for AMD...

So they slap a 970 cooler on a 390 (modified to fit ofc)... problem with that is that a 970 is what? 175w TDP? while the 390 is 250-275w TDP

So I want to get my dad a gpu for Christmas and my local computer store has a gtx 970 for 410 CDN and also the newer r9 390 for the same price. Now I saw Jays video on this card and it beat it in almost every game (not by much though) so for the same price what would you choose.

Granted he's always liked AMD, he currently has a old 6870 I believe.

Thanks for the advice

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX53934 (970)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58406 (390)

R9 390 is better but strix cooler is kinda really bad, especially for amd gpu's

Customer support, i dunno.. some say Asus customer support is fine, others say its atrocious. I havent had the pleasure/pain to deal with them yet

but their coolers are weaker, louder and sometimes, struggles to keep card running at stock clocks..

MSI, Sapphire, XFX, Powercolor, Club3D.... anything is better then Asus or Gigabyte..

In Gigabytes case, A LOT of their AMD cards (the whole range really) has been shipped with broken BIOS, broken fans or fans that break within like a couple of months...

I have a gigabyte 285 and It has lasted over half a year and now the fan sounds like its grinding the bones of small animals whenever it gets close to 40% rpm. I wish someone would have warned me.