Multiple SSDs Please Help!

JGalsky

Hello! I recently bought a new computer and I use it for music production and I need a lot of storage.  My computer supports 4 m.2 SSDs and 2 2.5_Hard drives (HDD or SSD) can I buy 4 m.2s and a 2TB SSD (I don't want HDDs I hate moving parts) and configure them?

Thanks!

@JGalsky

What laptop...Specs?

Make sure you are following your threads..

Please quote those you reply to as well for quicker responses.  ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

MSI GT72 DOMINATOR PRO (980M), 32GB RAM, and INTEL CORE i7-5700HQ (2.70GHz)

MSI GT72 DOMINATOR PRO (980M), 32GB RAM, and INTEL CORE i7-5700HQ (2.70GHz)

Your system is not compatible with M.2 SDD

If you want get SDD you will need 2.5inch SATA drives.

You could go the route of SDD for storage but what your looking for is going to cost you upward into $700.00+ per drive.

I would suggest going HDD they are $75-200.00 a drive.

*edit

Correction Your system is compatible with M.2, I misread the specs of your system. MSi has it listed as PCIe SDD and I was looking for M.2 standard. (My bad).

Try this link

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/MSI(MicroStar)/gt72-dominator-pro

Or this and run the auto detect.

https://www.crucial.com/

Edited by SansVarnic

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'm sorry but it is compatible with 4 m.2 drives, Ive opened it several times and already have 1 insalled and I clearly see 3 more slots.  A part from this, is it possible to add 3 more and a 2.5 inch ssd? Thanks for your help!

I'm sorry but it is compatible with 4 m.2 drives, Ive opened it several times and already have 1 insalled and I clearly see 3 more slots.  A part from this, is it possible to add 3 more and a 2.5 inch ssd? Thanks for your help!

I edited mypost just before you replied.

Go back read it now. Sorry  ;)

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You should be able to the 2.5inch SDD as well but that depends in the BIOS though.

Also what configuration are you looking to do?

Raid or Non Raid?

Non-Raid: will give the most usage of your available space 

Raid: will give you the best redundancy.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How do I tell if the BIOS allows it? And I think I prefer RAID because of the really fast read/write speeds. Thanks so much!

How do I tell if the BIOS allows it? And I think I prefer RAID because of the really fast read/write speeds. Thanks so much!

Honestly my experience with laptops with m.2 is limited but I do know that M.2 shares PCIe lanes.

In laptops this is still true but I would suspect that MSI sets up the rig to allow use of all the lanes with out interference. (Meaning you should be able to utilize all your M.2 slots and your Sata port at the same time).

I suggest running the config tool from crucial.com I link earlier, It can help you determine this.

@GoodBytes @colonel_mortis I am correct, yes? (just want a second opinion)

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER