Great Computer Lags while Recording Fallout

mrjordann

Hey LTT community! So I have a pretty nice computer, specs are below. It automatically set Fallout 4 to run at Ultra graphics setting, and it runs fine at probably over 60 fps. But when I try to record it with Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), the screen recorder lags and skips. What would this lag be caused by? Lack of CPU, I would guess...? And could I fix it by overclocking anything? :P Thanks in advance, -Jordan

SPECS:

Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz, 4-core

(cooled by Raijintek Triton, runs at 27 degrees idle)

G1 Gaming GTX 980Ti

2 x 4GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM

PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qs3Ff7

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

CPU based recording software (if that's what this is) is an ancient relic... I highly recommend you use something that can take advantage of the hardware encoder in your GPU (shadow play or other). You will be very pleased by the improvement, I promise!

Update: obsappears to support those features. Is is possible it is not configured correctly?

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

yeah that's your CPU not coping with the game and encoding, and overclocking won't help much as you need more threads.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

if its only for recording locally (not livestreaming) and will be edited afterwards.

get yourself a hard drive dedicated to recordings, switch to nvenc, and put your bitrate at 10-15K

you'll get near spotless recordings, with next to no fps hit.

(ps: *please* enable vsync while recording, it stops pretty bad tears from showing up on your recordings. if you insist on an example, look at lirik's stream, he uses gsync...)

Hey LTT community! So I have a pretty nice computer, specs are below. It automatically set Fallout 4 to run at Ultra graphics setting, and it runs fine at probably over 60 fps. But when I try to record it with Open Broadcaster Software (OBS), the screen recorder lags and skips. What would this lag be caused by? Lack of CPU, I would guess...? And could I fix it by overclocking anything? :P Thanks in advance, -Jordan

SPECS:

Intel i5 4690k 3.5GHz, 4-core

(cooled by Raijintek Triton, runs at 27 degrees idle)

G1 Gaming GTX 980Ti

2 x 4GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM

PCPartPicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/qs3Ff7

As others have said, use the GPU. Obs does have an encoder setting to use nvidia nvenc instead of x264.

But I have the same cpu and only a gtx 970 and I only drop about 5fps using obs. What bit rate are you trying to record at?

As others have said, use the GPU. Obs does have an encoder setting to use nvidia nvenc instead of x264.

But I have the same cpu and only a gtx 970 and I only drop about 5fps using obs. What bit rate are you trying to record at?

Bit rate? like k/bits per second? umm... 10,000

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

CPU based recording software (if that's what this is) is an ancient relic... I highly recommend you use something that can take advantage of the hardware encoder in your GPU (shadow play or other). You will be very pleased by the improvement, I promise!

Update: obsappears to support those features. Is is possible it is not configured correctly?

What kind of settings should I have it on? ANd I bought Action screen recorder, is that GPU based?

What kind of settings should I have it on? ANd I bought Action screen recorder, is that GPU based?

Never used the program my self so I can't comment on what specifically to change, but I know there must be a setting somewhere that tells it to use GPU acceleration or hardware encoding or NVENC or something like that...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.