Is it just me, or does AC Syndicate run just as bad as or worse than Unity?

afyeung

A lot of the reviewers of the test copies were saying how this time Ubisoft got their act together for this game. I just got it and I'm averaging around 40 fps with a 5820k @4.5ghz and R9 290 overclocked to 1162mhz on the core. This is with Ultra high environment, high textures, high shadows, SSAO, and FXAA. Does this seem right? Unity actually had amazing lighting while Syndicate's just plain sucks. Furthermore, the anti aliasing options are horrendous, at least on the AMD side. Might do a review after I get my 2nd gpu back from MSI. 

Update: I didn't mention earlier but I'm playing at 1440p. FPS isn't that bad too be honest actually. It gets well over 60 in some areas but dips to the 40s in more intense scenes. I just expected it to perform a lot better given they toned it down a lot compared to Unity. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Turn down shadows and see if it helps, they usually take a lot of performance. I ran it for a moment on an overclocked 290X and had no FPS issues

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Might do a review after I get my 2nd gpu back from MSI. 

I don't think this game got Crossfire profile yet.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

A lot of the reviewers of the test copies were saying how this time Ubisoft got their act together for this game. I just got it and I'm averaging around 40 fps with a 5820k @4.5ghz and R9 290 overclocked to 1162mhz on the core. This is with Ultra high environment, high textures, high shadows, SSAO, and FXAA. Does this seem right? Unity actually had amazing lighting while Syndicate's just plain sucks. Furthermore, the anti aliasing options are horrendous, at least on the AMD side. Might do a review after I get my 2nd gpu back from MSI. 

You don't have Nvidia Gimpworks turn on do you?

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Hmm on a 290, im sure you can find a better balance of settings that still look good but run better

Sometimes things like shadows can be reduced with very little graphical impact, make sure any Nvidia settings are turned off, 

FXAA can make games look "soft" so maybe turn that off?

SSAO is a subtle thing and can definitely be turned off

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's a brand new game on hardware that's not top of the line. I wouldn't expect it to run much better than that. 

People like to say that it's "not optimized"... but c'mon... want better graphics? Get a better graphics card. 

You expect Ubisoft to do a decent job of optimization? r u avin a giggle der m8?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

You seem to be getting worse performance than you should be.

Syndicate does perform much better than Unity.

Your issue may be your RAM.

Look to see if you RAM in your case is, in slots, 1,3 or 2,4.

Make sure they aren't sitting next to each other.

I think I have the ram covered. 16gb ddr4 in quad channel is more than enough

It's a brand new game on hardware that's not top of the line. I wouldn't expect it to run much better than that. 

People like to say that it's "not optimized"... but c'mon... want better graphics? Get a better graphics card. 

The only card on the Nvidia side which does better than my card in the games I play is the 980ti/Titan X(Both GM200). I'm not spending $400 just to play one game. And I checked on youtube and the 980ti doesn't seem to do very well either with settings cranked up. 

The only card on the Nvidia side which does better than my card in the games I play is the 980ti/Titan X(Both GM200). I'm not spending $400 just to play one game. And I checked on youtube and the 980ti doesn't seem to do very well either with settings cranked up. 

It works fine with mine. 

Either way, I'm not suggesting you spend any money "just to play one game." I'm just saying that you should re-set your expectations on what an R9 290 can do with brand new AAA titles. 

It works fine with mine. 

Either way, I'm not suggesting you spend any money "just to play one game." I'm just saying that you should re-set your expectations on what an R9 290 can do with brand new AAA titles. 

Battlefront is considered to be a new AAA title and well optimized as well, and the 290 wrecks every Nvidia card except the 980ti/Titan X at 1440p in that game. And "fine" to me is mostly in the 60s. Doesn't look that way in these videos and according to Nvidia's AC syndicate performance overview which I just read.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-syndicate-graphics-and-performance-guide

Battlefront is considered to be a new AAA title and well optimized as well, and the 290 wrecks every Nvidia card except the 980ti/Titan X at 1440p in that game. And "fine" to me is mostly in the 60s. Doesn't look that way in these videos and according to Nvidia's AC syndicate performance overview which I just read.

https://www.youtub v=NmZbYF3hr9Y

https://www h?v=I1ijP58ImKs

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-syndicate-graphics-and-performance-guide

The Frostbite engine for Battlefront has been around for a while.  Battlefront and Syndicate isn't a valid comparison. 

Besides, not all games are the same. And just because two games are different doesn't mean that one is "good" and one is "bad."  Technology doesn't work that way, my friend.  

I followed the annotation on that video to his 1080p demo (because that's what I use and I am familiar with) and he seems to be doing alright.  I'm not anal and obsessive that I always have an FPS counter running so I don't have it memorized what I get on a regular basis... but I did run it for a little while when I started the game. I get slightly better than his.    Even he is happy with the performance.  He says so repeatedly in the video, and also in his description: 

"In this video I play around in AC: Syndicate and test the performance with the GTX 980 Ti card. This is done in 1080p, with ultra settings. I'd say the performance is pretty fair for the content this game has, and we constantly maintained a decent FPS."

For the content this game has.... c'mon, bro. You're not being reasonable with an R9 290. 

The fps isn't really what bugs me. I run witcher 3 maxed out with hairworks at 30-40fps and compared to AC syndicate it feels like 60fps. Assasin's creed has a problem where it feels like you're dragging the mouse especially at lower fps. That's why a lot of people play assasin's creed with the controller. 

• 4 weeks later...

You got to be kidding! <Sniff Glue much?

CPU: Intel i5 3470@3.8ghz, Motherboard: Biostar TZ77A, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 , PSU: Corsair CX600, Case: Antec 300, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

The Frostbite engine for Battlefront has been around for a while.  Battlefront and Syndicate isn't a valid comparison. 

Besides, not all games are the same. And just because two games are different doesn't mean that one is "good" and one is "bad."  Technology doesn't work that way, my friend.  

I followed the annotation on that video to his 1080p demo (because that's what I use and I am familiar with) and he seems to be doing alright.  I'm not anal and obsessive that I always have an FPS counter running so I don't have it memorized what I get on a regular basis... but I did run it for a little while when I started the game. I get slightly better than his.    Even he is happy with the performance.  He says so repeatedly in the video, and also in his description: 

"In this video I play around in AC: Syndicate and test the performance with the GTX 980 Ti card. This is done in 1080p, with ultra settings. I'd say the performance is pretty fair for the content this game has, and we constantly maintained a decent FPS."

For the content this game has.... c'mon, bro. You're not being reasonable with an R9 290. 

And Syndicate uses the old Black Flag/Watch Dogs engine, Whats your point? Just admit you wanted to brag instead of making a point!

CPU: Intel i5 3470@3.8ghz, Motherboard: Biostar TZ77A, Ram: 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600, GPU: EVGA SC GTX 970 ACX 2.0 , PSU: Corsair CX600, Case: Antec 300, OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64

You got to be kidding! <Sniff Glue much?

And Syndicate uses the old Black Flag/Watch Dogs engine, Whats your point? Just admit you wanted to brag instead of making a point!

Can you even read? Do you even read?  http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-syndicate-graphics-and-performance-guide

Read that. It explains everything.  It's not my point to make, Nvidia and Ubisoft make their point quite clear in the performance guide. 

If you think I'm bragging, then it would seem that you have a confidence problem. My experience is offered as a direct point of comparison to what the performance guide has spelled out based on the hardware they explicitly recommend for using the maximum settings.  If you weren't behaving so childish, you'd see that.  

By the way, nice going reviving a dead thread. 

I wonder that you reach 40fps with this Card in the first Place.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

It's probably because you have environment at Ultra high. Drop it just one setting lower and it should run good. That's what I've heard from a lot of people anyway that ultra is not worth it... especially since you are playing at 1440p which is a higher resolution than most people

Also make sure you are running window 10 and Crimson 15.12 which came out a week ago.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

I wonder that you reach 40fps with this Card in the first Place.

It's a good GPU though. He's running a R9 290 @ 1162mhz. i.e. faster than a GTX 970 in most games.

People will always compare the technical work of AAA game devs vs other devs in the industry. You can't stop it. Everybody knows that there you get a combination of some high quality work and some shoddy work out there... PC performance is not just about brute force hardware, it's about whether the game is written in a way that maximizes use of available hardware. You can't stop the comparisons. Some games are good at utilizing hardware resources efficiently, some just aren't. People who play lots of games have a general idea of what their hardware is capable of on average and gamers will hold devs accountable if they think the graphics and simulated detail is not sufficient to justify the framerate. There are games like Arma3 and Ark Surival which don't run well on anything. If everybody just says oh we should just wait for next gen and buy better hardware then you are not encouraging industry best practices. Moving the industry forward means the devs doing their jobs better while the GPU makers work to innovate. The fact that you can brute force something doesn't mean that you should do; it means you are wasting hardware resources which could have been used for something else. For example if Battlefront was not so well optimized then the world environment would have been less detailed as the devs compromised to get it running smoothly. Similarly you get people saying that DX12 and Vulkan are not worth it because they have 4Ghz six-core CPUs to avoid CPU bottlenecks. Again what they don't realize is that good software means getting the job done in the most effecient manner possible. If the rendering takes less CPU time that means more people have better performance and the devs can actually use that freed up CPU time for something else such as AI and physics. The fact that you 'can' brute force it doesn't mean it should be acceptable. The fact that so many PC game devs do get it right shows what can be done...

Having said that I agree that AC Syndicate is better than AC Unity. The difference in the steam user reviews says it all... And ubisoft deserves credit for the improvement. On average their customer's are a lot happier with this release.