Sony is working on a PS4 Remote Play app for PC and Mac

Master Disaster

This one is a bit ambiguous and doesn't really go into any detail.

It seems Sony has decided to create a remote play app for PC & Mac so users can stream PS4 games onto desktop devices over a network.

Here's what the verge had to say.

Remote Play is one of the PS4's more underrated features, probably because it only lets you stream your games to the ailing PS Vita and some equally ailing Sony smartphones. But if you have the equipment, it's a great way to free up a TV while playing games like Fallout 4 — and it sounds like more people will be able to find that out soon. In a tweet, Sony's president of Worldwide Studios confirms that the company is working on a Remote Play app for PC and Mac.

The app should bring Sony in line with Microsoft, which launched Xbox One streaming functionality alongside Windows 10, while making PS4-owning Mac users happy too. The next step would hopefully be expanding mobile compatibility beyond Sony's own phones to the wider Android ecosystem and iOS. But even if that doesn't happen, the desktop app will let you continue your Destiny raid even if someone needs the TV in time for the football kickoff.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/26/9805944/ps4-remote-play-pc-mac-app

Considering MS has had this ability on the Xbone since Windows 10 came out and the Vita has gone the way of the dodo it's no real surprise.

One thing I'd like to point out though, just imagine the possibilities when Sony finally gets their games streaming service up and running, almost instantly thousands of PS, PS2 and PS3 games might become available to PC users overnight.

As the article says, I'd also expect a wider Android version as well as an IOS version in the future too.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Pretty cool.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Nice, now I don't have to switch from dvi to hdmi anymore on one of my monitors. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

This one is a bit ambiguous and doesn't really go into any detail.

It seems Sony has decided to create a remote play app for PC & Mac so users can stream PS4 games onto desktop devices over a network.

Here's what the verge had to say.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/26/9805944/ps4-remote-play-pc-mac-app

Considering MS has had this ability on the Xbone since Windows 10 came out and the Vita has gone the way of the dodo it's no real surprise.

One thing I'd like to point out though, just imagine the possibilities when Sony finally gets their games streaming service up and running, almost instantly thousands of PS, PS2 and PS3 games might become available to PC users overnight.

As the article says, I'd also expect a wider Android version as well as an IOS version in the future too.

we already have access to every ps1 and ps2 game on pc and soon we will have ps3 as well. but i am not opposed to this. i'll prob pick up a ps4 next year once zero dawn and a few other games come out for it.

I've been waiting for this functionality for ages!

I bought a vita pre-owned and remote play is excellent, sony really missed a trick by not having this functionality at launch. Also I thought the remote play app already worked on non-sony android phones?

we already have access to every ps1 and ps2 game on pc and soon we will have ps3 as well. but i am not opposed to this. i'll prob pick up a ps4 next year once zero dawn and a few other games come out for it.

ps2 emulation is still pretty crappy, and decent ps3 emulation is still light years away, most games require loads of work by the emulator devs to even get it to launch.

I like this a lot. Now all that is left is PS3 backwards compatibility and being able to run videos from USB. I mean even PS3 has that (last time I checked PS4 didn't support it). 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

ps2 emulation is still pretty crappy, and decent ps3 emulation is still light years away, most games require loads of work by the emulator devs to even get it to launch.

like what is it with people and pcsx2? i have used it and even pumped so many filters into it and never had problems and this was years ago. granted i know a few games that have problems but they are far from something every would want to play.

I've been waiting for this functionality for ages!

I bought a vita pre-owned and remote play is excellent, sony really missed a trick by not having this functionality at launch. Also I thought the remote play app already worked on non-sony android phones?

I do it on my NVidia Shield Portable.  You can find the modified Android APK's easily via Google.

just gonna add> even if you can stream the emulated PS2 games from your PS4 to your PC, still doesnt mean it will have all the PCMR features.

it still gonna be upscaled "DVD" quality, it still gonna be capped at either 30 or 60 FPS. It still gonna have terrible Mouse and Keyboard support....

it is neat, but it is nothing jawdropping....

just gonna add> even if you can stream the emulated PS2 games from your PS4 to your PC, still doesnt mean it will have all the PCMR features.

it still gonna be upscaled "DVD" quality, it still gonna be capped at either 30 or 60 FPS. It still gonna have terrible Mouse and Keyboard support....

it is neat, but it is nothing jawdropping....

Well thanks Sherlock. It's a stream. Anyone that can read will understand( at least those here) that its literally just the PS4 displaying on something its not connected to.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

I just want to play The Last of Us again, PS3 is broken.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Must be a response to that kid that created the remote play program for PC a little while ago. 

Finally! Now I could get rid of my annoying HDMI switch.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

PS2 emulation is not crappy.

PS2 emulation is not crappy.

It's great at best but it's iffy in general. There are still a lot of games that need to run in software mode to avoid video glitches.

PCSX2 is no where near the quality of Dolphin or PPSSPP

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I'm surprised MS and Sony still don't release their games onto PC instead.... I'm much more interested in buying a game ported to PC than I am buying a console (and their games) to stream to my PC. In fact, I'm excited for the Dragon's Dogma PC port.

I'm surprised MS and Sony still don't release their games onto PC instead.... I'm much more interested in buying a game ported to PC than I am buying a console (and their games) to stream to my PC. In fact, I'm excited for the Dragon's Dogma PC port.

because console-to-pc ports have been sooooo great lately. I'd rather have a working console copy being playable on pc than a broken port natively on pc.

Of course what you're saying is the goal and the dream :)

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

then i can stream my ps4 a whole 4 feet to my pc haha

CPU: Intel 5930K - GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 980Ti SSCMotherboard: Asus X-99 PRO/USB 3.1 - RAM: 32GB HyperX Savage @ 2800mhz CL14  Case: Phtanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass - Cooling: Corsair H100i V2 / Fractal Design Venturi Fans Storage: PNY XLR8 120 GB SSD (OS) + Seagate 2TB HDD (Games)

My WiFi strength from desktop to living room isn't the greatest, but... yeah I'm down for this. PS4 exclusives on my desktop, win win.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD