Windows 10 help!

jewishdolphins

Okay, so I have a crappy 1 TB hardrive, just bought a 240 gig SSD. Trying to get OS onto SSD. Apparently, after 5 hours of troubleshooting it looks like I can either copy everything on my HDD to my SSD (which i can't do since my HDD has 500 gigs used up), so my only option left is to wipe out my computer and start new...

However, I need your help. I would appreciate if you took the time to read this before walking away.

So, I am going to completely wipe out everything in my HDD and have a fresh new start. I originally had windows 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10 (which means I have a license already activated). I want to know how to somehow start completely new and just have my licensed OS activate on my SSD. (sort of like how it is when you first install windows, but just on my SSD)

I will reply to any questions. I am sorry if this isn't specific enough but please try to at least help. I've been here for so many hours now troubleshooting with my friends. 

The point of this is to activate my current OS onto my SSD so i don't have to buy windows 10 again or go on sketchy websites to get a key or something like that. 

Well i would reset factory settings on the HDD, then copy the files over to the SSD.  (Also wtf a car crash just happened under my house)

Ok so you want to start fresh and install windows 10 on the new ssd? and get a windows product key too?

I've had this problem, What I did is talked to a Microsoft tech support online to give me a windows 10 key and ISO by giving them my old windows 8.1 key (As I upgraded to windows 10 from it). Sorry if this isn't much help but just one way of possibly fixing this.

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

You don't have to wipe your HDD.....

All you have to do is get a key extractor that will tell you what the key that you are using right now for Windows 10 is, download the windows 10 ISO straight from microsoft's website, Install windows 10 onto your SSD, insert your key, then use your HDD as a second drive.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Well i would reset factory settings on the HDD, then copy the files over to the SSD.  (Also wtf a car crash just happened under my house)

a car crash happened under your house... Thats a big basement you got lol

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

a car crash happened under your house... Thats a big basement you got lol

I live on the 11th storey :/

You don't have to wipe your HDD.....

All you have to do is get a key extractor that will tell you what the key that you are using right now for Windows 10 is, download the windows 10 ISO straight from microsoft's website, Install windows 10 onto your SSD, insert your key, then use your HDD as a second drive.

I recommend wiping to prevent any malware/fragmentation from getting pass.

It's just my pet peeve to have fragmented files on a new computer :/.

I recommend wiping to prevent any malware/fragmentation from getting pass.

It's just my pet peeve to have fragmented files on a new computer :/.

It's a possibility..... less of a hassle if OP doesn't have anything to back up OPs priceless christmas photos to. But I know what you mean... I wipe with every OS upgrade. The simply "upgrading" and having a windows.old stuck on your hard drive forever is stupid...

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White