Looking at upgrading ram and graphics for around $150?

Snipe86K
Go to solution Solved by LabRat,

if you're going to keep your AMD set up, the 8350.

now buy a 280 or equivelant.

CPU:AMD Phenom IIx4 945 3.0 GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MoBo: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 ATX AM3 +

Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card

PU: OCZ ZX 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

So I play a wide variety of games as well as video editing and rendering as well as Auto CAD. I have noticed a bottle neck recently and after running some tests and benchmarks it looks as though my graphics and ram are the culprits as CPU cores all run at under 50%. Games run from GTA, Farcry 4, Fallout series, down to simple games like railroad tycoon. RAM is easy to figure out but I could use some suggestions on Graphics before the sales end! So graphics wise I have about $150 and need some help on what I should get. I was thinking an NVIDIA GTX 950

you cpu is the bottleneck./ you're only going to get so much out of that.

So what would you recomend?

a more modern platform.

mk Well $150 wont do that. I should have no problem modernizing piece by piece which is what I am trying to do. So a whole new system is no help thanks though.

Could really use more help on this than just modernize.

Could really use more help on this than just modernize.

like what. he needs a better (faster ) processor. the only way to do that is to upgrade the platform. he has enough ram and the graphics card far outweighs  the abilty of the processor.

like what. he needs a better (faster ) processor. the only way to do that is to upgrade the platform. he has enough ram and the graphics card far outweighs  the abilty of the processor.

So would an AMD Phenom IIx6 be good or should I just go buy new everything like you are saying?

So would an AMD Phenom IIx6 be good or should I just go buy new everything like you are saying?

no, i have a 1090t. the platform will slow you down. the extra cores may help minutely in an app or two, but you're wasting money. even a dual core ( and I gag saying dual core because i deem them useless at this point in time. ) i3 would be a lot faster just to give you an example.

i feel your pain but it's really the only way to go. if you could just feel a more modern intel cpu you'd never go back to the 945. it's good for surfing and old games and you tube vids...

save your money. if you were going to buy ram and another card you must have $200, no?  that's a good start. and it won't take much more to get you there.

Ok So my best step then would be to upgrade the motherboard and cpu?

you know you can put an fx8350 on that board?

i have a 1090t i'll never buy a board for and I would give it to you.

i still think you should save.

get back to this in 12.

I didn't know it was better. Usually the four digit numbers like that are older so I got in the habbit of ignoring them. Would that then be a substantial enough upgrade?

Part of your text didnt show up till I refreshed one more time on your last post. I can save I may have a way to do it now. Here is the big problem though. I don't have a clue what to save for. A few games I play are aproaching that 30 fps cant play mark. I know it is an older system and needs an overhaul but I need a direction to go. If I dont need the graphics and ram awesome. that clears up about $200. But if I need a mobo and cpu I dont know what to shoot for.

i have the same processor before upgrading to i5 4670k.

for me sell your proc and mobo and ram . Buy a i5 6000 cpu and a cheap mobo and 1 stick of ddr4 ram.

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

Part of your text didnt show up till I refreshed one more time on your last post. I can save I may have a way to do it now. Here is the big problem though. I don't have a clue what to save for. A few games I play are aproaching that 30 fps cant play mark. I know it is an older system and needs an overhaul but I need a direction to go. If I dont need the graphics and ram awesome. that clears up about $200. But if I need a mobo and cpu I dont know what to shoot for.

it'll be a day or two before i can do any shopping. some sites are slow because of the BF deals. i will post a relatively inexpensive cpu and mb and ram that would perk up the apps you're running. be patient.

i don't know how you can play anything at 30fps. it would drive me nuts. the $150 you were going to spend would just about move you a little more than sideways as far as a graphics card goes. keep saving. i'll get back.

edit: to be honest for graphics you should be looking at a 280 ( in that area ). but your cpu will be no benefit.

the 8350 and a 280....???? be a decent machine.

newegg's inpossibly slow today........ i found a 270 for $89 after rebate ( i think it was $109 outright )

and a 6300 for $89 straight up. so you're looking at about $200 out of pocket and i don't remember the shipping on the card but the cpu was free.

will do an Intel tomorrow.unless you like those 2 items. Intel will be more with ram.and you won't be getting a faster card.

give me a minute. finally got time to sit here for a few minutes. I didn't forget you.

CPU:AMD Phenom IIx4 945 3.0 GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MoBo: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2 ATX AM3 +

Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card

PU: OCZ ZX 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

So I play a wide variety of games as well as video editing and rendering as well as Auto CAD. I have noticed a bottle neck recently and after running some tests and benchmarks it looks as though my graphics and ram are the culprits as CPU cores all run at under 50%. Games run from GTA, Farcry 4, Fallout series, down to simple games like railroad tycoon. RAM is easy to figure out but I could use some suggestions on Graphics before the sales end! So graphics wise I have about $150 and need some help on what I should get. I was thinking an NVIDIA GTX 950

The 950 will probably be fine. If you can stretch your budget then try to get a 960. It will be even better. I don't know the price of cards very well, so I just suggest cards off of performance.

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard and a AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor How do you all think this would do?

So here as an option let me know what you all think as I can get the CPU for free.

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard

and a fx-8350 CPU

the 8350 will work on the board you have.... go back and read one of my last posts. ( 8350/280 )

i'll try and put some stuff together soon. got busy all of a sudden....

To get the CPU free I will Have to either have a new board to put my old CPU on or keep it on its current board and get a new board for the new CPU.