Noticable 60fps difference ingame compare to youtube

Hey Guys,

I wanted to post this for a while, so here goes. Has anyone noticed how youtube at 60fps is more fluid than actually being in the game? Ive noticed this a couple of times, where the game for all intents and purposes is running at a steady 60fps just doesnt feel the same as the footage on a youtube video of the same game. Ive noticed this in multiple games (witcher 3, Syndicate, BF4), I Always used to assume it was my monitor's Refresh Rate + Latency (Walk into a Department store and look at all the TVs and you will see what I mean), but now with youtube im not too sure.

My Monitors a Samsung 24B370

Specs are

i7-3770K

Asus GTX 970 Strix

16 GB Ram

No SSD

It may have to do with the fact that there could be less lag with just playing back a video. Less delay.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It's because you're providing direct input to the game. You get the same experience watching someone else play. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I call bogus games get direct input with so much more video optimisations than a browser

Because you experience frame latency (more to do with the interface between the GPU and what you see on your monitor). When the video is encoded it'll look smoother. There's more to it but I forget the jargon.

There is a fix for it called Adaptive Sync (G-Sync and FreeSync), but even then when you're playing a game you can be too focused on actually playing and not really notice.

EDIT: Getting that "smoothness" is similar to having an overpowered GPU and just turning all of your video settings in your game to the absolute minimum and playing. It will not drop below 60fps at all, even minimally because it's so overpowered for what you're doing.

It's because you're providing direct input to the game. You get the same experience watching someone else play. 

I was thinking that could be the issue, I was going to test this now by recording some gameplay  :)

I was thinking that could be the issue, I was going to test this now by recording some gameplay  :)

I did personally test it at one point. My game play felt much smoother after recording versus actually playing it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

because there's alot of difference in watching a video or playing a game ;)

ORLY.jpg

Just tested it and its true, somehow immersion cancels out your personal distinction of the fps. This is an Amazing Phenomenon!

Run heaven benchmark on ULTRA then try to see the same video on youtube if you still insist youtube is better quality get glasses

Run heaven benchmark on ULTRA then try to see the same video on youtube if you still insist youtube is better quality get glasses

He did not say it was better quality. You misinterpreted his post - he says that watching someone play a game on YouTube at 60FPS feels smoother than actually playing the game at 60FPS. Nothing about graphical fidelity.

He did not say it was better quality. You misinterpreted his post - he says that watching someone play a game on YouTube at 60FPS feels smoother than actually playing the game at 60FPS. Nothing about graphical fidelity.

My apologies "smoothness" is never a concern for me