Workstation Laptop Guidance.

OffensiveExile

My Sister's boyfriend would like to purchase a laptop and already has one in mind: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-eeebook-e403-14-laptop-grey-10137495-pdt.html

He loves the feel to it but doesn't want to spend so much on it as he also needs to buy an usb powered external hard drive. Is there any okay laptops (cheaper) that would look/feel the same as well as being great for a workstation?

I hope you realize that laptop that he is looking at is by no means a 'workstation.' A pentium, 2GB of ram, and a 32GB ssd is not workstation laptop class, or even close. 

What sort of things does he want to do on this laptop?

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

He just wishes to use the likes of Microsoft word, taxes and perhaps Netflix.

EDIT: I asked for more detail, he wants something for office supplies, basic internet access and an external hard drive that doesn't require a power socket.

He just wishes to use the likes of Microsoft word, taxes and perhaps Netflix.

EDIT: I asked for more detail, he wants something for office supplies, basic internet access and an external hard drive that doesn't require a power socket.

I'm doing some research. Just curious, why exactly does he want an external drive? He can just get plenty of storage in the system. 

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Thank you for your assistance thus far, he wishes to have an external drive (preferably 1tb) for his documents and photographs. He mentioned how he keeps losing his laptops so having a backup is good and a cheap laptop so it doesn't dent his money if he loses it again.

I personally got a dell inspiron just before they released the touch screen and had nothing but issues with the laptop and the company so I wish to stay away from dell.