Can my PC handle it?

VenomCruster
Go to solution Solved by BarneyInMatrix,

PCIe slot could be a bottleneck :/

Your PSU is fine as long you don't have a ultra power consumption fx9590 cpu or something like that

I am planning on upgrading from an old GT 640 to an MSI GTX 960, I have a PCIe 1.1 x16 slot and 500w PSU. Will I have any problems using it?

PCIe slot could be a bottleneck :/

Your PSU is fine as long you don't have a ultra power consumption fx9590 cpu or something like that

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

PSU would be fine providing the brand is semi-reliable, PCI might prove a problem but it will work at least!

Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming | Intel Core i5 7300HQ | 16GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GTX1050ti | Corsair Force LS 120GB | Crucial MX200 1TB | 6TB Seagate Barracuda

Acer 21" IPS | 15" in-built | Logitech MX Master | Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate | Windows 10 Pro

iPad Pro 10.5" 2017 | A10X | 4GB | 64GB | Silver | Silicone Cover

Huawei Mate 10 Pro | Kirin 970 | 6GB | 128GB | Mocha Brown | Dbrand Carbon Fibre Black Skin

What is your CPU?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What is your CPU?

i7 3770 @3.4Ghz, Btw thanks for all the replies.

Edit: Woops, fixed typo in CPU, sorry for the confusion.

What is the PSU?  This is a very important question, many "500W" units cannot actually get anywhere near that for a meaningful length of time.

i7 3440 @3.4Ghz, Btw thanks for all the replies.

Might go with a 4GB R9 380 then it outperforms the 960 and 500W is still enough for it.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

What is the PSU?  This is a very important question, many "500W" units cannot actually get anywhere near that for a meaningful length of time.

I could maybe check the exact brand, but all I know is that I bought the PC back Dec 2013 and the PC is a HP brand.

I could maybe check the exact brand, but all I know is that I bought the PC back Dec 2013 and the PC is a HP brand.

If it is not branded (as it likely isn't) I really would recommend you also replace that with a nice SeaSonic / XFX unit.

If the psu is made by codegen or company which makes literally shit psus.. Then youre not getting more than half of the capacity of wattage that it promises to give you.. If youre looking for a PSU, which will run well. Id suggest Corsair Builder series. Or watch for Seasonic psus.

|| i7-4790k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Corsair RM650i 80+ Gold | Corsair 200R ||

If it is not branded (as it likely isn't) I really would recommend you also replace that with a nice SeaSonic / XFX unit.

If the psu is made by codegen or company which makes literally shit psus.. Then youre not getting more than half of the capacity of wattage that it promises to give you.. If youre looking for a PSU, which will run well. Id suggest Corsair Builder series. Or watch for Seasonic psus.

Alright, thanks everyone for the replies!