gtx 980 or r9 390x

superjoker1

shout i go for the gtx 980 or the r9 390x?? i really want to game at ultra settings and 60 fps. so can you guys help me out with this problem??

shout i go for the gtx 980 or the r9 390x?? i really want to game at ultra settings and 60 fps. so can you guys help me out with this problem??

why not a fury ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

980.  390x is in between a 970 and 980.  Fury if you can stretch your budget.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

GTX 980

With a member tag like that, can you really be taken seriously?

OP, the R9 390X represents a better value for money as it's not much slower than a GTX 980, but quite a bit cheaper. The R9 Fury has also dropped in price massively, to the point where in the UK, it's pretty much the same price as the 980. The R9 Fury being, of course, quite a bit faster than the 980.

What resolution do you plan to run your games at?

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Fury X/980ti trade blows, either would be great if you can afford it, but generally the 980ti is the best for your money

Nvidia is doing pretty good in the high end though, its neck and neck with a fury x but from what I have seen its "generally" marginally higher

But if your budget is lower AMD is killing it with the 3xx cards

Regardless, between 390x and the 980 definitely the 980

R9 390x tri x

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

i play at 1080p

The R9 390X will be more than enough then. It'll be a good card for 1080p (possibly overkill? that's your decision), and it's a good card for when you want to step up to 1440p. Chuck in another one for Xfire, and you have one mental rig for 4K gaming (given there's a decent Xfire profile on the game you happen to be playing).

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

With a member tag like that, can you really be taken seriously?

OP, the R9 390X represents a better value for money as it's not much slower than a GTX 980, but quite a bit cheaper. The R9 Fury has also dropped in price massively, to the point where in the UK, it's pretty much the same price as the 980. The R9 Fury being, of course, quite a bit faster than the 980.

What resolution do you plan to run your games at?

i just dont like team amd lol

Fury X/980 trade blows, either would be great if you can afford it, and the 980ti is the best for your money if you can afford it

Nvidia is killing it in the high end though, other than the Fury nano niche they're struggling to be competitive in the high end market

But if your budget is lower AMD is killing it with the 3xx cards

Regardless, between 390x and the 980 definitely the 980

The Fury X doesn't trade blows with the 980. It's better. The Fury X is the direct competitor to the 980Ti.

The Fury is better than the 980.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

You my friend, are the perfect example of the irresponsible consumer.

image.png

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

That's the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

You my friend, are the perfect example of the irresponsible consumer.

so like r9 390>970 

Then don't ever give out advice. It's stupid.

You're the perfect example of a blind fanboy.

he said 980 or 390x so 

So??? You immediately said 980 without reason. 

because the 390x is basically a 290x and the GTX 980 out performs it in some games and nvidia has stuff like game stream and amd doesn't

because the 390x is basically a 290x and the GTX 980 out performs it in some games and nvidia has stuff like game stream and amd doesn't

You forgot to mention the 980 is faster by 3-4 fps and costs 100$ more. Correct me if I'm wrong by that price to performance is abysmal. As for the stuff Nvidia has it's only game stream and nothing else that doesn't have an alternative. Correct me if I'm wrong again but isn't game stream exclusive to the 950 as of now?

Please do some research and see for yourself that almost anything Nvidia have to offer feature-wise already has an AMD counterpart.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You forgot to mention the 980 is faster by 3-4 fps and costs 100$ more. Correct me if I'm wrong by that price to performance is abysmal. As for the stuff Nvidia has it's only game stream and nothing else that doesn't have an alternative. Correct me if I'm wrong again but isn't game stream exclusive to the 950 as of now?

Please do some research and see for yourself that almost anything Nvidia have to offer feature-wise already has an AMD counterpart.

my GTX 760 can do game stream 

In SOME games and costs WAY more. 

STUPID ASS FANBOY!!!!! JUST BUY A THRONE'S WORTH OF TITAN Xs, DO YOU THINK NVIDIA WILL CARE??????????????????????

Sorry. I'm calm now. Little twits like that piss me off so much. Blind and unreasonable brand loyalty for a company that only cares about extracting money from you. And that goes for every company, yes, AMD too. 

So not true. people need to stop with this insecure shit about the 300 series being same as the 200 series. I know this may come as a shock but fps aren't everything. If getting the same fps meant the cards were the same, then a 390 and the 970 would be the same card too.

So. Stop.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

In SOME games and costs WAY more. 

STUPID ASS FANBOY!!!!! JUST BUY A THRONE'S WORTH OF TITAN Xs, DO YOU THINK NVIDIA WILL CARE??????????????????????

Sorry. I'm calm now. Little twits like that piss me off so much. Blind and unreasonable brand loyalty for a company that only cares about extracting money from you. And that goes for every company, yes, AMD too. 

i used a amd gpu before had no issues but i only use nvidia because of game stream

The Fury X doesn't trade blows with the 980. It's better. The Fury X is the direct competitor to the 980Ti.

The Fury is better than the 980.

Pardon my ignorance oh god of the forum :P 

I had meant the 980ti, pardon me