[spoilers for non vessel guys] Cheap gaming rig

Trottero

Hi LTT forum,

I've watched the video from linus on vessel about the really cheap gaming rig. In the video he used a server-grade motherboard and 2 xeons in a gaming pc. So I started browsing for these parts because I was really interested and it looked cool and worth it. So I got these parts which I not picked up yet but they seem OK.

2x Intel Xeon Processor E5405 + Heatsink - 30EUR

Someone else offered me two different motherboards. these two motherboards are:

HP ML350 G5 and a HP ML370 G5, both for only 30EUR.

My question is though, will the old PCI-e slots affect my GPU performance or are there other things I should be worried about?

I am sorry for the terrible title, I just do not want to spoil anything for the people who don't own a vessel account.

Kind regads,

Trottero

You really wanna rebuild the system ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

You really wanna rebuild the system ?

Should I not? I do really want to build the system =)

Should I not? I do really want to build the system =)

You'll have a lot of issues I bet, but yeah if you want to do it

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

My question is though, will the old PCI-e slots affect my GPU performance

No.

For the price, it's a great little project. What GPU were you planning on using?

No.

For the price, it's a great little project. What GPU were you planning on using?

Was planning on using a mid range GPU like a R9 280x or GTX 960 Maybe even moving up to something like a r9 380. Thanks for the answer to my question though.

Was planning on using a mid range GPU like a R9 280x or GTX 960 Maybe even moving up to something like a r9 380. Thanks for the answer to my question though.

Should be fun :) Make sure to post the finished build.

Should be fun :) Make sure to post the finished build.

Before this thread goes into oblivion, do you have any advice about the decision between the 350 G5 or 370 G5?

Before this thread goes into oblivion, do you have any advice about the decision between the 350 G5 or 370 G5?

Sorry don't know anything about them.

A quick google search shows that the 370 doesn't have any mention of the E5405, but it might just not have been sold with that as an option.

The 350 on the other hand shoes the E5405 as an option, so its definitely supported.

Sorry don't know anything about them.

A quick google search shows that the 370 doesn't have any mention of the E5405, but it might just not have been sold with that as an option.

The 350 on the other hand shoes the E5405 as an option, so its definitely supported.

Thanks! I will do some more research.

The 380 is the 960 replacement, just a fyi.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats