Need some help deciding on a new Hi-Fi

RuffRuffmcgruff
Go to solution Solved by Sinder5,

Hifi systems are almost exclusively 2.0 or 2.1... I'm not really sure what you're on about with all this surround sound garbage for music.

I was just curious.  You're right about surround sound being garbage for music but hey...   if you ever plan on partying again, maybe you do want some surround with some thumping bass.  Again, mostly curious, I am aware that extra bass would NOT be Hi-Fi.  

Anyway @RuffRuffmcgruff if you're looking to buy some  slightly budget speakers, this video has some great info:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3H6C9KomTk 

And since your top budget is 300 pounds, then you may even want to check out this video: 

Hey guys,

I need some help deciding on a new Hi-Fi system, I've been looking for a new setup as after a pretty long night of partying my bass has completely blown out. I was looking at Sonos but I don't want to rush into making an informed decision.

So any ideas ?

By the way my price range is about £50-£300.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

And by ''Hi-Fi"  Do you mean a full surround sound system?  Such as 5.1 or 7.1 surround? That's what I would be led to believe because of seeing that your bass completely blew out. I'm honestly not sure and I'm probably shouldn't be here, but I know a thing or two.  So yeah, how many speakers are you considering? (I'm assuming you want a SUB. )

And by ''Hi-Fi"  Do you mean a full surround sound system?  Such as 5.1 or 7.1 surround? That's what I would be led to believe because of seeing that your bass completely blew out. I'm honestly not sure and I'm probably shouldn't be here, but I know a thing or two.  So yeah, how many speakers are you considering? (I'm assuming you want a SUB. )

Lunch finished in work :P I'd probably be after about 2 speakers and a sub, and any help is help at least :)

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Lunch finished in work :P I'd probably be after about 2 speakers and a sub, and any help is help at least :)

Ok so ALL YOU WANT Is a 2.1 speaker system.....

Are you going to use this system for loud partying as well?

Sorry for the delay, yes and yes.

Hifi systems are almost exclusively 2.0 or 2.1... I'm not really sure what you're on about with all this surround sound garbage for music.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

I was just curious.  You're right about surround sound being garbage for music but hey...   if you ever plan on partying again, maybe you do want some surround with some thumping bass.  Again, mostly curious, I am aware that extra bass would NOT be Hi-Fi.  

Anyway @RuffRuffmcgruff if you're looking to buy some  slightly budget speakers, this video has some great info:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3H6C9KomTk 

And since your top budget is 300 pounds, then you may even want to check out this video: 

I was just curious. You're right about surround sound being garbage for music but hey... if you ever plan on partying again, maybe you do want some surround with some thumping bass. Again, mostly curious, I am aware that extra bass would NOT be Hi-Fi.

That's not necessarily true. Also, 2.1 systems can have just as much bass as any surround sound system.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

That's not necessarily true. Also, 2.1 systems can have just as much bass as any surround sound system.

You're right again, I know of some surround sound systems out there that have OKAY sound quality, nothin' to be proud of, but sometimes it seems the bass is lacking or just kinda muddy.  So you'd be right in saying 2.1 systems can have as much bass, (usually tighter and more accurate depending on what you buy) with some you can even add an external sub, which in turn could give you much much more.

You're right again, I know of some surround sound systems out there that have OKAY sound quality, nothin' to be proud of, but sometimes it seems the bass is lacking or just kinda muddy. So you'd be right in saying 2.1 systems can have as much bass, (usually tighter and more accurate depending on what you buy) with some you can even add an external sub, which in turn could give you much much more.

2.1 means there is an external sub.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2.1 means there is an external sub.

I was about to say...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

You're right again, I know of some surround sound systems out there that have OKAY sound quality, nothin' to be proud of, but sometimes it seems the bass is lacking or just kinda muddy.  So you'd be right in saying 2.1 systems can have as much bass, (usually tighter and more accurate depending on what you buy) with some you can even add an external sub, which in turn could give you much much more.

Lack of extension notwithstanding, the point of a sub is not to add bass, strictly speaking. It's to make the sytem full range.

I'd look at some cheap PA speakers, like the Alto TX8. You might want to wait and add a decent sub later, when you can afford one and if you want one.

Lack of extension notwithstanding, the point of a sub is not to add bass, strictly speaking. It's to make the sytem full range.

I'd look at some cheap PA speakers, like the Alto TX8. You might want to wait and add a decent sub later, when you can afford one and if you want one.

Thanks guys for the suggestions gonna check em out, if i could mark two posts as solved i would. Cheers again.

PA speakers have different requirements than home speakers. They wont suit OPs needs that well

PA speakers have different requirements than home speakers. They wont suit OPs needs that well

Like what?

Like higher acceptable distortion because of higher noise floor outdoors, if theres bsc it'll be overly compensated (or port tuned higher to compensate for losses), bad looks, big cabinet and limited bass to remain efficient just to name some.

Like higher acceptable distortion because of higher noise floor outdoors, if theres bsc it'll be overly compensated (or port tuned higher to compensate for losses), bad looks, big cabinet and limited bass to remain efficient just to name some.

Sounds perfect.