Ubuntu fahcontrol "Dependency is not satisfiable: python-support (>0.90.0)

I have ubuntu running on a flash drive. I have 32 bit because I could only find 1GB of ram that works.

When trying to install fahcontrol, I get this:

How fix? I am a ubuntu N00B.

Looks like you need to install a newer version of Python

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I have ubuntu running on a flash drive. I have 32 bit because I could only find 1GB of ram that works.

When trying to install fahcontrol, I get this:

<image removed>

How fix? I am a ubuntu N00B.

As noted earlier, you'll need to update your python-support package (it is a utility for compiling python scripts)

You can do this the easy way by updating everything with:

from terminal, type this: sudo apt-get upgrade

this will upgrade your entire ubuntu universe, including python-support, it it's available for your version.  

If you still have this problem after the upgrade, you likely have an older version of Ubuntu that comes with an older version of python-support.

In that case, if your Linux box is just for folding, I'd just wipe the old OS and install the current 14.04 LTS version - it's working fine on mine.  I'm not sure what it started with as I updated it right after I installed it, but it is currently has version 1.0.15.

Be careful about installing a newer version of Python, because Python is closely tied to the OS, and a newer version will be installed alongside your existing version. For example, You can have 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3 all installed and accessible as separate Environments.  Don't remove your current version in the hopes of installing a newer one.  Removing the default version will fubar your O.S. and you'll have to reinstall it. :(

I think you might be able to upgrade just python-support, but I am not sure.

Good Luck!

- Pete :)

Folding For Linus since July 2015

As noted earlier, you'll need to update your python package.

You can do this the easy way by updating everything with:

from terminal, type this: sudo apt-get upgrade

this will upgrade your entire ubuntu universe, including python.  

If you still have this problem after the upgrade, you likely have an older version of Ubuntu that comes with an older version of python.  I'm not sure what version FAHControl requires.

In that case, if your Linux box is just for folding, I'd just wipe the old OS and install the current 14.04 LTS version - it's working fine on mine.

Be careful about installing a newer version, because Python is closely tied to the OS, and a newer version will be installed alongside your existing version. For example, You can have 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3 all installed and accessible as separate Environments.  Don't remove your current version in the hopes of installing a newer one.  Removing the default version will fubar your O.S. and you'll have to reinstall it. :(

There is a way to route various applications to use a specific python install, but that is above my pay grade  :o

Good Luck!

- Pete :)

Thanks for the response! I downloaded the latest 15.10 version. Should I downgrade? I built this machine today.

Thanks for the response! I downloaded the latest 15.10 version. Should I downgrade? I built this machine today.

14.04 is the latest Long Term Support (LTS) release - meaning it will be supported for 5 years, and you won't have to reinstall every 6 months or so if something breaks on non-LTS versions, and hopefully not have as many bugs).  Unless 15 has something you need that 14 doesn't, I'd go 14.04  :D

- Pete

P.S. - reread my previous post, I updated it for python-support specific info B)

14.04 is the latest Long Term Support (LTS) release - meaning it will be supported for 5 years, and you won't have to reinstall every 6 months or so if something breaks on non-LTS versions, and hopefully not have as many bugs).  Unless 15 has something you need that 14 doesn't, I'd go 14.04  :D

- Pete

P.S. - reread my previous post, I updated it for python-support specific info B)

Alright, tomorrow I will try 14.04. I like how quick it boots up on here, even if my flash drive's read/write speeds are worse than a 15 year old hard drive

Alright, tomorrow I will try 14.04. I like how quick it boots up on here, even if my flash drive's read/write speeds are worse than a 15 year old hard drive

Great!  I have to agree - Linux is a lot easier on storage and boot time - I'm running it from a scavenged 2.5" 80GB PS3 hard drive, lol :blink:

Great!  I have to agree - Linux is a lot easier on storage and boot time - I'm running it from a scavenged 2.5" 80GB PS3 hard drive, lol :blink:

Lol I was running Ubuntu on my macbook on a 32gb micro sd card and it ran fucking great! :o I was very impressed.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)