Confusingly slow speeds from New Intel 750 SSD, please help!

xstewminator

Hi everyone, Just got a great deal on a brand new intel 750 series ssd. Its the 2.5 inch model and i have it plugged in with the included cable and a hyperkit riser thingy. Im just worried because when i run crystal disk mark and look at task manager im only getting about 400 MB/s. Trust me thats not slow, but ive seen videos where those are tin the thousands and i think something is either wrong with my drive or is wrong with CDM. I have looked for the NVMe comatible one and i cant find it. but i still dont know how that explains task manager telling me that im only getting 400MB/s. Any help is greatly appreciated as i dont want to send this back... Thanks!

Hi everyone, Just got a great deal on a brand new intel 750 series ssd. Its the 2.5 inch model and i have it plugged in with the included cable and a hyperkit riser thingy. Im just worried because when i run crystal disk mark and look at task manager im only getting about 400 MB/s. Trust me thats not slow, but ive seen videos where those are tin the thousands and i think something is either wrong with my drive or is wrong with CDM. I have looked for the NVMe comatible one and i cant find it. but i still dont know how that explains task manager telling me that im only getting 400MB/s. Any help is greatly appreciated as i dont want to send this back... Thanks!

Don't rely on task manager, use a program such as Crystal disk mark or ATTO disk benchmark to test it.

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

For my 750 PCI-E SSD I get in the thousands.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Don't rely on task manager, use a program such as Crystal disk mark or ATTO disk benchmark to test it.

I did run CDM and its telling me the same thing as task manager.

By any chance is your drive SATA and not PCIe?

A or B

post-265114-0-47370200-1448510999.png

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

what??>??

why are you looking at task manager if you're running crystaldiskmark?

crystaldiskmark is already a benchmark...it tells you the speed RIGHT ON IT

can you post a picture of crystaldiskmark after running the test?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what??>??

why are you looking at task manager if you're running crystaldiskmark?

crystaldiskmark is already a benchmark...it tells you the speed RIGHT ON IT

can you post a picture of crystaldiskmark after running the test?

yeah i know how it works, but im looking on 2 sources to see if they back each other up, they both give me the same answer, ill post a screenshot

of the CDM test or the actual drive in my pc?

The drive please.  This statement makes me think you've got the SATA drive, but are expecting PCIe speeds:

Its the 2.5 inch model and i have it plugged in with the included cable and a hyperkit riser thingy. ... im only getting about 400 MB/s. ...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

By any chance is your drive SATA and not PCIe?

A or B

what do you mean? its m.2 through the included SAS cable. Its the 2.5 inch variant.

The drive please.  This statement makes me think you've got the SATA drive, but are expecting PCIe speeds:

there shouldnt be a difference in speeds, they both go directly through the pcie lanes on the cpu after all.  And the test is running right now...

there shouldnt be a difference in speeds, they both go directly through the pcie lanes on the cpu after all.  And the test is running right now...

send a picture of the drive as well then

Aren't you meant to test with 1GiB?

it doesnt matter really, speed is the same either way

to answer the question earlier, i didnt see the pictures, but its B. the 2.5 inch variant. 

to answer the question earlier, i didnt see the pictures, but its B. the 2.5 inch variant. 

don't worry about it, the link resolves all doubt.  We know what it is now :)

Could you send a picture of how the drive is connected to the motherboard?

i gotta take my system apart for that so give me just a minute...