A experiment for owners of the Xbox classic

popkevin1234

Hi, so one of my uncles give me his Xbox classic (no not the 360 or one)and the power supply kinda explode so i go to the Ifixit teardown and it got me thinking, Can you use an AT or ATX Power Supply to power a xbox because think about it it uses the same 20 or 24 pin connector and it have a hard drive and a cd bay 

So yeah i want if someone can try and test if it works 

(pd: if you gonna send something send a video, its better)

Heres the Ifixit teardown : https://es.ifixit.com/Teardown/Xbox+Teardown/1324?lang=en

I dont see a problem with it. Most consoles today are built like PCs. Teardown-Xbox-One-inside-1.jpg

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

I dont see a problem with it. Most consoles today are built like PCs. Teardown-Xbox-One-inside-1.jpg

He's talking about the ORIGINAL XBOX. As in the one halo was first made for. On another subject, Bajancanadian as your profile pic?

He's talking about the ORIGINAL XBOX. As in the one halo was first made for. On another subject, Bajancanadian as your profile pic?

I know, but the original one is built like a PC. And I dont know who Bajancanadian is, thats me in the picture.

InsideXbox.jpg

Intel Core i5 4590Gigabyte GA-970 Ax4 4GB DDR3 Crucial Balistix SportGigabyte Windforce GTX 970 | 3 TB of HDD | Enermax CoenusEVGA 500 Watt 80 Plus | Windows 10 | Razer Black Widow Tournament EditionLogitech G502 Proteus Core | Audio Technica M50x | Tonor BM 700 Nikon D3400 

CompTIA A+ Certified

I know, but the original one is built like a PC. And I dont know who Bajancanadian is, thats me in the picture.

InsideXbox.jpg

Hmm, didn't know that. And he's a youtuber, the photo looks like him.

InsideXbox.jpg

I disagree, it's not built like a PC at all, but rather a TANK. I bounced mine off the area rug over a concrete floor when I threw it because the kids thought I was bluffing. Not even a scratch, and yes the kids cried. It still works BTW !

I disagree, it's not built like a PC at all, but rather a TANK. I bounced mine off the area rug over a concrete floor when I threw it because the kids thought I was bluffing. Not even a scratch, and yes the kids cried. It still works BTW !

There is just something about old tech, where they can just take a fucking beating. But now things today will destroy themselves if they are in contact with the ground. Its a shame.

CompTIA A+ Certified

Yeah, the kids were young and ignoring and I threatened to throw the xbox, it literally bounced back up in the air and they were hysterical. I was shocked because I threw it pretty hard straight down. Thought it'd bust the top, but nothin'

That connector does not look like the standard ATX 20 pin, is a single row of pins, not 2.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

SNIP

AFAIK its not standard, so no you cant (at least not without modification) you can probably buy a spare PSU for dirt cheap, or even a whole new console

I bought one for £5

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The xbox uses pretty close to the same voltages as an atx standard psu except for using a 3.3v standby voltage instead of the normal 5v. Versions 1.0 and 1.1 used a single row of pins while v1.2-1.6 use a connector similar to atx with different pinouts. You can find the pinouts here. You'll need to install a power regulator for the standby voltage, but other than that it's simply a matter of wiring. Here's a more in depth article of somone modding an atc psu for use in an xbox v1.2.