Powerline + WiFi Extension

I was recently given a powerline kit for my birthday to use with my PC/Xbox One. I configured it as per the instructions, disconnected from the Wi-Fi Extension placed just outside my room, and found that the powerline is connecting to the Wi-Fi Extension somehow, rather than the main router, so my speeds barely increased. Is there any way to correct this?

I was recently given a powerline kit for my birthday to use with my PC/Xbox One. I configured it as per the instructions, disconnected from the Wi-Fi Extension placed just outside my room, and found that the powerline is connecting to the Wi-Fi Extension somehow, rather than the main router, so my speeds barely increased. Is there any way to correct this?

Unless your "WiFi Extension" has powerline there is no way your powerline kit can talk to it. As long as one of your adapters is connected to your switch/router directly it should work. The only other way I can make sense of what you're saying is if you just had unrealistic expectations of how fast powerline will perform. So let me make this point quickly if that's the case. Powerline is NOT faster than WiFi, powerline just tends to have a better range.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Unless your "WiFi Extension" has powerline there is no way your powerline kit can talk to it. As long as one of your adapters is connected to your switch/router directly it should work. The only other way I can make sense of what you're saying is if you just had unrealistic expectations of how fast powerline will perform. So let me make this point quickly if that's the case. Powerline is NOT faster than WiFi, powerline just tends to have a better range.

I know, that's what's confusing. The extension has no wired connections, but it's the connection my computer is picking up on. The other end of the powerline is connected to my main router.

In your first post you state that the poweline is connecting to the "Wifi extension" (whatever the hell that is), but in your second post you state that it's your computer that is picking up on the "extension".

Which one is it?

I know, that's what's confusing. The extension has no wired connections, but it's the connection my computer is picking up on. The other end of the powerline is connected to my main router.

What do you mean by this? How is it "picking up on" it? Can you tell us what the model number of this "extension" thing is so we might have a better idea what we're actually talking about here? Because depending on what it is my answer would be:

1. That's not possible, what on earth have you done here?

2. That's normal and I don't see what the issue is

It's a Netgear Wi-Fi Extender kit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WN1000RP-100UKS-Universal-Extender-Booster/dp/B009C9FQNQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448586537&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+wifi+extender I have the Powerline kit connected directly to my main router, I configured it as per the instructions, but when I go into the network settings, it lists the extension as the active connection instead of the main router, slowing down my network considerably from 500Mbps to 100 if I'm lucky.

It's a Netgear Wi-Fi Extender kit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WN1000RP-100UKS-Universal-Extender-Booster/dp/B009C9FQNQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448586537&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+wifi+extender I have the Powerline kit connected directly to my main router, I configured it as per the instructions, but when I go into the network settings, it lists the extension as the active connection instead of the main router, slowing down my network considerably from 500Mbps to 100 if I'm lucky

Did you turn off the wifi on your computer?

It's a Netgear Wi-Fi Extender kit. http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-WN1000RP-100UKS-Universal-Extender-Booster/dp/B009C9FQNQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448586537&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+wifi+extender I have the Powerline kit connected directly to my main router, I configured it as per the instructions, but when I go into the network settings, it lists the extension as the active connection instead of the main router, slowing down my network considerably from 500Mbps to 100 if I'm lucky.

1. 100Mbps is about the speed you should be getting anyways

2. Just because it's listed doesn't mean it's being used (windows defaults to wired if you have a wired connection)

3. If you really want to be sure it's not using WiFi delete your WiFi settings

1. 100Mbps is about the speed you should be getting anyways

2. Just because it's listed doesn't mean it's being used (windows defaults to wired if you have a wired connection)

3. If you really want to be sure it's not using WiFi delete your WiFi settings

Did you turn off the wifi on your computer?

Just do you both know, I disconnected the PCIE card, and the Powerline kit is rated for 500Mbps

What the powerline kit is rated for is quite meaningless, honestly. You can go out and buy an AC router that's rated at 1.3 Gbps; doesn't mean you'll actually ever get those speeds anywhere in the real world.

If you've physically taken the PCIe out of your computer, what you're saying is imposible. Your computer CAN NOT be connected to the network from your wireless extender if you don't have a wifi card in your computer.