Gaming CPU needed?

what is better for the money the i3 or the fx 6350

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

i3 hands down. better per core performance and has a good upgrade path. AM3+ socket is dead.

For the money, an FX-6300 is a better deal than an i3 because it has more cores than it, counting the fact that the FX's cores are steamroller cores, and because you can achieve similar or the same performance to an i3 with an overclocked Pentium G3285. 

I will be gaming

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

FX 6350

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Since you said you'll be gaming, go for the i3 and then you've got a solid start platform with a good upgrade option to an i5

Some games won't run or will struggle on 2 cores. so the 6300 would be better. 

i3 has HT so it's seen as 4 threads, so there's no issues with games that don't run on dual cores

LTT's fastest Valley 970, slowest Valley Basic and Extreme HD scores

Desktop || CPU - i5 4690k || Motherboard - ASUS Gryphon Z97 || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz || GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 *Cough* 3.5GB || Case - Fractal Design Define R5 || HDD - Seagate Barracuda 160GB || PSU - Corsair AX760

For the money, an FX-6300 is a better deal than an i3 because it has more cores than it, counting the fact that the FX's cores are steamroller cores, and because you can achieve similar or the same performance to an i3 with an overclocked Pentium G3285. 

The FX-6300 uses Piledriver cores, not Steamroller cores, granted there's not much performance difference between them. Also, simple core count does not indicate better performance in all scenarios. the i3's Haswell cores have a much higher IPC (More powerful individual cores) that it will often beat out the FX-6300 in single-threaded workloads such as gaming, assuming OP here is planning to game on this system.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I would get a Athlon X4 860K. It has 4 cores, is cheaper than a FX 6350 or i3, and has a much newer technology.

Some games won't run or will struggle on 2 cores. so the 6300 would be better. 

No, some games won't run or struggle on 2 threads, the i3 will run any game just fine, stop spreading misinformation, in fact it will do better tahn the FX.

The FX-6300 uses Piledriver cores, not Steamroller cores, granted there's not much performance difference between them. Also, simple core count does not indicate better performance in all scenarios. the i3's Haswell cores have a much higher IPC (More powerful individual cores) that it will often beat out the FX-6300 in single-threaded workloads such as gaming, assuming OP here is planning to game on this system.

Right, but in many benchmarks the fx-6300 does better than the i3 due to games using an increased amount of cores.

Right, but in many benchmarks the fx-6300 does better than the i3 due to games using an increased amount of cores.

I'm curious to see these benchmarks you are mentioning, mind if you link me to them?

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

[removed]

Thank you.

Edited by Godlygamer23

[removed]

Not sure if it's an anomaly but in the video, the 4150 drops to 0.0% sometimes, and the 6300 is consuming less RAM versus the Core i3.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch