PCI-E vs M.2 SSD

I am very interested in which type of SSD I should get. I watched the m.2 video from LTT on youtube but which is better for long term stability/speed or are they the same? I want to put my OS and a few games on there. I will be getting sata 3 ssd for full steam library and programs. 

I am very interested in which type of SSD I should get. I watched the m.2 video from LTT on youtube but which is better for long term stability/speed or are they the same? I want to put my OS and a few games on there. I will be getting sata 3 ssd for full steam library and programs. 

I would personally go for an M.2 SSD for boot/main applications.

They should both be the same in terms of reliability and speeds will probably be similar too (if you get the same model of drive).

Sig under construction.

Modern M.2 drives use the PCI Express bus, so apart from size there isn't a whole lot of difference between the two standards.

Honestly, a SATA III SSD is more than enough for the vast majority of folks at the moment. M.2 SSDs are expensive for most people unless you actually need the superior speeds for something like recording 4K video or something.

M.2 is an SSD form factor that can be had in both PCIe and SATA connectivity.  PCIe will offer greater transfer speeds than SATA, but this would really only be noticeable if you are routinely moving around large amounts of data.

The only real benefit offered by an m.2 SATA drive over a 2.5" SATA SSD is that the m.2 mounts directly on the motherboard - no cables required.  Which can make for a very clean, compact set up.