Shield Tablet X1 imminent? The perfect gaming tablet?

asim1999

As you may remember, a while back Nvidia started designing and selling its own devices, after having been left practically without customers for its mobile chipsets. Hence, the company's Shield Tablet (since renamed and relaunched as Shield Tablet K1) served as a kind of showcase for the Tegra K1 chipset.

However, Nvidia has already announced the newer Tegra X1 SoC early this year, and a new tablet bearing this particular chip was at one point tipped to arrive in March. That obviously didn't happen. Moreover, seven additional months have passed and this successor to the Shield Tablet is nowhere to be seen.

That said, it might actually become official soon. That's because a prototype has been put through the paces of GFXBench, which means a list of most of its specs is now available

It will be called Nvidia Shield Tablet X1, which makes sense given the chipset employed. And yes, the Tegra X1 SoC has been confirmed by the benchmark. GFXBench for some reason only counted the four Cortex-A57 cores in the CPU, but this should be an octa-core part with four additional Cortex-A53 cores.

The custom-developed GPU is apparently going to be twice as good compared to the one seen in the Tegra K1, and it will be capable of 1 teraflop of floating point performance. The Shield Tablet X1 seems to keep its predecessor's 8-inch 1,920x1,200 touchscreen, yet it comes with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. It will have Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS too and will run Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

gsmarena_002.jpg

This looks very promising. Looks like a viable alternative to the new iPad Pro for gamers.

Here are the performance figures

post-120681-0-36088800-1448484985.png

Bearing in mind that this is pre-release software, and that Android will eventually get Vulkan integration, this seems like a good start

Sources:

http://www.gsmarena.com/nvidia_shield_tablet_x1_has_tegra_x1_soc_gets_benchmarked_running_android_60-news-15203.php

https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfxgen&os=Android&api=gl&cpu-arch=ARM&hwtype=GPU&hwname=NVIDIA®%20Tegra®%20X1&did=28157299&D=NVIDIA%20Shield%20Tablet%20X1

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Wow nice copy paste fail lmao

I will edit it

EDIT: Done

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

I'm still waiting for a SHIELD Portable II...

GOD DAMMIT SO AM I SHIT STAINS PLEASE NVIDIA IM GOING TO FDEOWIPFJWQOIPJFTGPIOQ#$JCTMQWOPG$TYIVB#MQ_PTQ#TV JGEGGSEFWEFKOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

A57 cores? What happened to the Denver cores?

I don't know if it is true, but from what I've heard it was for time constrain reasons. They had to push out the X1 pretty fast to compete with Samsung and Qualcomm (the X1 SoC has actually been out for quite a while now, like Q2 2015). The X1 is a 20nm chip and Nvidia had only (according to rumors) plans for a 28nm (the K1) and (presumably) 16nm (Tegra Parker). So in order to get to market in a timely manner they would have had to either redesign Denver to work at 20nm (easier said than done), or use A53 and A57 cores which were already designed for 20nm. They went with the latter.

I am not so sure getting an X1 device is a very good idea at this point in time. We should be getting the Tegra Parker SoC in the not too distant future and that will go back to Denver, as well as having smaller transistors, and a bunch of other improvements.

GOD DAMMIT SO AM I SHIT STAINS PLEASE NVIDIA IM GOING TO FDEOWIPFJWQOIPJFTGPIOQ#$JCTMQWOPG$TYIVB#MQ_PTQ#TV JGEGGSEFWEFKOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Sorry but no.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Sorry but no.

What?

I still don't see what the appeal is to play games that were not built for a tablet on a tablet. A 3DS will offer a much better mobile gaming experience. Maybe I'm just weird.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I still don't see what the appeal is to play games that were not built for a tablet on a tablet. A 3DS will offer a much better mobile gaming experience. Maybe I'm just weird.

Have you tried it, though? Some games just are more enjoyable on a larger screen.

*AMD gets another hit marker*

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

"Perfect" and "Gaming Tablet" are 100% mutually exclusive. In fact anything with motion or touch controls is 100% mutually exclusive with the word perfect.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I still think 8" tablets are pointless. Call me when they make a 10" version. That would be far more interesting.

10" versions already exist. http://tinyurl.com/lg9x7ba

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why did this take so long?  I thought they might do this when the X1 was first announced, but brushed it off as being too soon following the original shield tablet.  Now... well, isn't that chip getting kind of old?  How long was it between the K1 and the X1?  I feel like we should be due for the next one soon...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If it's still below 9.7" count me out. I like my iPad Air 2 and don't like tablets any smaller.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Have you tried it, though? Some games just are more enjoyable on a larger screen.

No. The videos I've watched of it told me enough. I really don't get the appeal.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Why did this take so long?  I thought they might do this when the X1 was first announced, but brushed it off as being too soon following the original shield tablet.  Now... well, isn't that chip getting kind of old?  How long was it between the K1 and the X1?  I feel like we should be due for the next one soon...

Yep Parker CPU with Denver cores and Maxwell GPU is right around the corner 

Cool and stuff, but I REALLY don't want to game on a android tablet.

Exactly. Unless you haven't invested in a sync monitor or a 980ti (or 2-way SLI)  there's no point playin on a tablet. Just hurry using the toilet instead of waiting for your legs to go numb before wiping.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

you should get that checked by a professional.

- snip-