6500 vs 4590

WildCAt
Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

But now I see, that Skylake is OK. Pretty much like any other generation - boring, but OK... 

dunna what your expectations are, but looking at what drives the need for

exponential increases is what the challenge is. the software development is not

driving the hardware segment to make 6GHz processors or 8GHz RAM modules.

hardware seems to be pushing other hardware into advancements, but the

commercial market seems to be content. the biggest jumps in progression have

been in storage (NVMe) virtual/augmented reality, display technology.

only until they pressed the NVMe into service, the CPU has not been a bottleneck.

now one can bottleneck a 5960k with RAID0 NVMe ssds. but that won't be a real

pressing issue until it is widely adopted as a norm to use.

Hello! ^^

Yep, Skylake vs Haswell again :D

They perform similarly and cost the same in my country, but

I heard that Skylake has bad thermal compound under its cover... 

And also it is possible to "overclock" 4590 to 3.7 and get some more performance. With 6500 you can't do that...

Also I'd like to make an upgrade in the future (idk when, but still).

So... Will you help me decide? Because I'm really disappointed in 6th gen and I'm going to build a new pc soon. MB I will even sell MOBO+CPU in 2016 and buy  myself new AMD, because I don't think next Intel step will be sth really good ;D

But for now it's Intel.

Thanks!  :P

Depends on upgrades you may plan to make.

Haswell offers better bang for the buck, but Skylake offers a more feasible upgrade path. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

You could get a 4690k for the 6500 price... Why settle?

I would personally go Haswell because I care about performance:dollar more than having the newest hardware. Both options will last you a good while before you need to or want to upgrade...

System: Thinkpad T460

Depends on upgrades you may plan to make.

Haswell offers better bang for the buck, but Skylake offers a more feasible upgrade path. 

Pretty much this. ^

You can fit some better components within the budget if you opt for the 4590 and the performance of both is very close (6500 is 8% faster), but you sacrifice an upgrade path (the best you can get with a motherboard for the 4590 would be i7-4790)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I've been through that decision..

Better pick Haswell. Even if you upgrade with Skylake not very much worthy of spending a lot for little added performance.

Unless you have a lot of $$ to spend.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

They'll perform almost identically even if the 4590 runs at 3.7GHz. The LGA1151 platform will have a better upgrade path when Kaby Lake comes out.

It all comes down to price and preference. Since they cost the same in Lithuania, I'll suggest going with Skylake.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

the introduction ivy bridge and haswell has TIM issues. but was improved under

devils canyon (4590). skylake uses the same TIM process. do you have a source

on this issue?

And also it is possible to "overclock" 4590 to 3.7 and get some more performance. With 6500 you can't do that...

you can use the BLCK overclock method (same as the 4590) but without tying the

PCIe and RAM to the bus frequency (uses the DMI 3.0 platform) so really a better

platform for BLCK overclocking than the 4th gen. also depends on motherboard

support.

Also I'd like to make an upgrade in the future (idk when, but still).

skylake will provide a longer term of updating for the future upgrades.

So... Will you help me decide? Because I'm really disappointed in 6th gen and I'm going to build a new pc soon. MB I will even sell MOBO+CPU in 2016 and buy  myself new AMD, because I don't think next Intel step will be sth really good ;D

how can you be disappointed if you haven't owned the platform yet? and making

the assumption the AMD will be a better platform, as performance has been leaked

to being similar to 4th gen haswell performance with DDR4 and PCIe 3.0 support.

how can you be disappointed if you haven't owned the platform yet?

I am disappointed about performance I saw on the internet comparing to 4th gen) 

I've seen a lot of news about bad thermal paste on skylake. No need to search the proof, just google the news.

Yep, I haven't owned both Haswell and Skylake, and I can only form my opinion on what I see)

I just want to know more :P

how can you be disappointed if you haven't owned the platform yet? and making

the assumption the AMD will be a better platform, as performance has been leaked

to being similar to 4th gen haswell performance with DDR4 and PCIe 3.0 support.

According to what was revealed by AMD, Zen has 40% IPC increase over Excavator, which should put it around, or a little bit over Haswell level. Considering it's supposed to have a lot of mainstream 6-8 cored options, it can possibly challenge Intel in some price brackets provided the specs are true and legit.

I personally doubt that, I think that AMD will remain with Zen where it was with FX, they're going to be bought only if heavier tasks are performed on the PC, but we'll find out next year I guess.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

I just want to know more :P

dunna know your sources of info, but we always expect a normal 3-8% performance

gain from platform to platform. the devils canyon to skylake was to be as expected.

upgrades were PCIe improvements, DMI 3.0, DDR4 and lower temp issues by

moving the FIVR back to the mobo to remove under IHS heating issues.

.. it can possibly challenge Intel in some price brackets provided the specs are true and legit

doubtful on challenge. issues that were released on the keynote that the pricing

strategy they'd used before, may change as they do intend to be competitive, but

struggle due to their cost structure ideas were wrong. i'd expect the price to market

will be higher to intel platform to lead in with before kaby and then dwindle down

until they get a "favorable" opinion on usage scenarios. but we'll see in 2016/2017.

Intel started using poorer thermal interfaces several generations before Skylake. If anything, Haswell-Refresh and Skylake may have seen some improvements.

I upgraded directly from an i5-750 (a CPU that theoretically had the much sought-after solder thermal interface) across five product generations to an i5-6600K. My personal experience is that the 6600K at 4.5 GHz is at least as easy to cool, if not more so, than my i5-750 at 3.6 GHz. That's using the same Corsair H80i with the same fan configuration and in the same case.

3-8% performance gain

Yep, but 3-8% means almost nothing in real life.. At least to me. But I can do nothing about it, so.. yeah, it's my problem, that I am disappointed, not Intels. I just remembered these times, when new gen standed for great performance boost :D

upgrades were PCIe improvements, DMI 3.0, DDR4 and lower temp issues by
moving the FIVR back to the mobo to remove under IHS heating issues.

yeah, that's a strong point for skylake, but again, no real profit from using DDR4, for eaxple...
Can't say nothing bad about FIVR)

But now I see, that Skylake is OK. Pretty much like any other generation - boring, but OK...

Intel started using poorer thermal interfaces several generations before Skylake. If anything, Haswell-Refresh and Skylake may have seen some improvements.

I upgraded directly from an i5-750 (a CPU that theoretically had the much sought-after solder thermal interface) across five product generations to an i5-6600K. My personal experience is that the 6600K at 4.5 GHz is at least as easy to cool, if not more so, than my i5-750 at 3.6 GHz. That's using the same Corsair H80i with the same fan configuration and in the same case.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it is useful to know ^^

dunna what your expectations are, but looking at what drives the need for

exponential increases is what the challenge is. the software development is not

hardware seems to be pushing other hardware into advancements, but the

commercial market seems to be content. the biggest jumps in progression have

been in storage (NVMe) virtual/augmented reality, display technology.

only until they pressed the NVMe into service, the CPU has not been a bottleneck.

now one can bottleneck a 5960k with RAID0 NVMe ssds. but that won't be a real

pressing issue until it is widely adopted as a norm to use.

the software development is not

M... You showed me a new viewpoint, thanks :P