AMD's Radeon Software Crimson doesn't live up to the hype on Linux

Well, let's all just hold our judgement until Valve's Source 2 engine is released. Source 2 will be the first engine truly built from the ground up for Linux, and will net a significant FPS gain over Windows through Vulkan. We aren't living in a gaming-world dominating by Linux because of lazy developers. That's was the biggest eye-opener I learned throughout all my studies in CompSci.

I'm pretty sure Vulkan is on Windows 10 too. And the reason we aren't living in a bizzaro Linux world is because Microsoft got huge in the 90s and now they're so big and such a huge part of everything to do with anything computer related it's going to take some epic legendary shit to dethrone them. Even if Linux had better performance and all the same games and programs Windows is a huge trusted brand name that most people have been using since the 90s.

Honestly the best you Linux boys can hope for is for Steam Machines to somehow go hard even though they suck and are dumb, get Linux a 2% or a 3% market share and maybe then it would be monetarily worthwhile for AAA devs to make games for Linux, then AMD and Nvidia would get off their asses and make some good drivers for you.

I'm pretty sure Vulkan is on Windows 10 too. And the reason we aren't living in a bizzaro Linux world is because Microsoft got huge in the 90s and now they're so big and such a huge part of everything to do with anything computer related it's going to take some epic legendary shit to dethrone them. Even if Linux had better performance and all the same games and programs Windows is a huge trusted brand name that most people have been using since the 90s.

Honestly the best you Linux boys can hope for is for Steam Machines to somehow go hard even though they suck and are dumb, get Linux a 2% or a 3% market share and maybe then it would be monetarily worthwhile for AAA devs to make games for Linux, then AMD and Nvidia would get off their asses and make some good drivers for you.

Well, I'm not one to waste his time arguing about such shortsighted things. I'll continue to dual-boot and enjoy my life; and I'll wait for the day the open-source community solves the problems before Nvidia and AMD do. The open-source drivers are getting better and better by the day. "The People" always win. I won't argue; I'm just gonna go play games and study, lel.

EDIT: I just don't see why you are so against Linux. Do you work for Microsoft or something?

INTEL 5960X | EK PREDATOR 360 | NOCTUA NF-F12 IPPC-3000 | ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME | EVGA 980 TI HYBRID G.SKILL RIPJAWS 4 64GB | SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB

MATTE BLACK NZXT H440 | SUPERFLOWER LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W | TRIPLE ASUS VGE248QE | MICROBOARD B400 UHD HDX | DASKEYBOARD 4 ULTIMATE | DUCKY SECRET | SENNHEISER GAME ZERO

Linux vs Microsoft, reminds me of when it was Win3 vs OS/2, guess who won?  :ph34r:

Linux is a good OS and I'm not anti Linux, nor pro-linux I am on the fence but if MS fails to pull through on Win10 I may be forced to start learning it.

I do like Win10 and I do understand the business plan behind what they are doing but I do not agree with the methodology that they are going about accomplishing it. I remember when Google and iOS where getting in trouble over privacy concerns (remember Google and iOS did it much worse than MS did and it took a court order to reveal it, for who hate ms for doing it) MS condemned the actions and shortly afterward began looking to ways to get in on the money being made that google was making on it. Win 10 essentially is one of those ways.

*edit

Before haters hit me up there is an obvious difference between the Consumer market, the Industry Market, and Specialized markets.

Windows: Average PC user, most business office models and warehouse (inventory: still using windows mobile 6, yes all those scanners use it)

iOS: Music, video industry and small percentage consumer user (unless tablet: consumer market)

Linux: Movie, Server, SuperComputer Industries and coders.

Android: not a contender(unless tablet: consumer market)

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don't thing AMD bothered to improve OpenGL performance anyway. DirectX is where the competition's at, for now.

which is sad because I'm just one of those guys that does prefer to use Linux, for the same reason other prefer Windows: It's what I'm used to and I like it that way.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

1. It's free. 2. You have complete control of the OS. 3. The Linux kernel is the most efficient and powerful kernel that mankind has invented. Even Microsoft has been learning from the Linux kernel. The more support we get for Linux, the more programmers we bring over, the more applications we get, the easier our lives become. There really isn't much argument here. I love all the years of fun that Windows has brought me, but honestly, it's time to move on to what has the potential to be a better OS in every possible way.

EDIT: I just wish the AAA gaming industry and the GPU industry would get their shit together.

Although points 2 and 3 will mean absolutely nothing to the vast majority of people you're trying to entice away from Windows. Not to mention that in their eyes, Windows was "free" because it came pre-installed on their computer.

You need to remember that the people that you need to get on board for Linux to take off don't CARE about all that technical stuff. They want to turn their PC or their laptop on and see a familiar background with familiar buttons. Linux will have to be better at being Windows, than Windows is to gain any kind of acceptance, and that means

• never needing to use the terminal.
  • it has to be easy to use
  • better marketing
  • getting in bed with Dell, Lenovo, MSI, Acer et al to have it pre-installed on computers instead of Windows
  • not having a dozen distributions vying for market share. "Sorry, you're running the wrong kind of Linux" is going to sink the ship before it even finishes boarding.
  • training sales staff so they can explain why the customer should buy a computer with Linux on it instead of the OS they are used to using

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Although points 2 and 3 will mean absolutely nothing to the vast majority of people you're trying to entice away from Windows. Not to mention that in their eyes, Windows was "free" because it came pre-installed on their computer.

You need to remember that the people that you need to get on board for Linux to take off don't CARE about all that technical stuff. They want to turn their PC or their laptop on and see a familiar background with familiar buttons. Linux will have to be better at being Windows, than Windows is to gain any kind of acceptance, and that means

• better marketing
  • getting in bed with Dell, Lenovo, MSI, Acer et al to have it pre-installed on computers instead of Windows
  • not having a dozen distributions vying for market share. "Sorry, you're running the wrong kind of Linux" is going to sink the ship before it even finishes boarding.
  • training sales staff so they can explain why the customer should buy a computer with Linux on it instead of the OS they are used to using

All points agreed.

People may be hating on Win10 right now but they will use it over anything else because they are used to it and change is difficult to the common person, humans in general do not like change, especially when the change is not easy, learning a new OS is like moving it takes effort.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Even as a casual linux user, I'm okay with this. Currently I game on Windows out of necessity, so their decision to focus on Windows drivers benefits me. I do wish Linux would take off and with Vulkan become the primary gaming platform, but that's incredibly unrealistic.

I find it interesting how so many people can read an article and only small percentage (judging by the responses) got the point of the article.

Spoiler
AMD Lied
AMD did not follow though on a Promise

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• better marketing

should answer 1, 2, 4, 5

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This is the first release of the software. They got it out the door. It works for Windows.

Like I said, you can't expect them to put that amount of work for a minority of the market right now. They literally just launched the thing. Give them a little bit of time.

yes you can... because they said they did. If you say you are going to do something that is exactly what I can expect you to do. This thread and issue has 0 things to do with windows. They specifically detailed what linux users should expect and then did none of that stuff. How much market share linux has does not do anything to change the fact that they lied, which is what people are upset about. 

SansVarnic, ManWithBeard1990, Fetzie, Lotus:

You are all correct, and I recognize that many points you have made over my (possibly alcohol-driven) arguments. In fact, I have recognized and pondered over these arguments for many years. I guess I am just a man out of his time. My studies into CompSci and CompEng have led me to believe that Linux is the answer to all of our problems. The world would have one OS to standardize all efforts around. The rest of the world is embracing Linux, as much as it can (and it is difficult, I am aware). Ultimately, all my arguments are pointless without action, which is why I have resolved over my years to educate as many people as I can about Linux. And hopefully, get my degree and get out into the industry and make some difference. I have dreamed about working for (or even starting my own) a startup that would successfully make Linux (as a whole system and ecosystem) a user-friendly OS without sacrificing the power that is what makes Linux great.

I hope you guys can forgive me for perhaps making a fool of myself in my earlier posts. ;P

INTEL 5960X | EK PREDATOR 360 | NOCTUA NF-F12 IPPC-3000 | ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME | EVGA 980 TI HYBRID G.SKILL RIPJAWS 4 64GB | SAMSUNG 950 PRO 512GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2TB

MATTE BLACK NZXT H440 | SUPERFLOWER LEADEX TITANIUM 1600W | TRIPLE ASUS VGE248QE | MICROBOARD B400 UHD HDX | DASKEYBOARD 4 ULTIMATE | DUCKY SECRET | SENNHEISER GAME ZERO

I have an R9 290 GPU. I dual boot Windows 10 and random Linux distro (keeps changing). I play games on both. It's true that Windows is a more mature gaming platform but in the last few years Linux has made massive strides. .

Installing steam on Linux is as easy going to the steam website and clicking install and for example I can now natively play the likes of Metro Redux series, Witcher 2, Kerbal Space Program, Civilization games, Talos principle, Cities Skylines, RUST, Bioshock infinite, Ark Survival, Dyling Light, Shadow Of Mordor, Alien Isolation, Borderlands 2 in addition to Valve's catalog like Half Life games, Portal games, TF2, DOTA2, CS:GO and a thousand indie games. All of these can be now enjoyed smoothly with high quality visuals as well as with the usual steam features such as streaming, local backups, FPS monitoring, screenshots, cloud storage of saves etc.

So when people say that Linux is not a viable gaming OS it's only because they are comparing it with Windows. If you compare it to where Linux gaming was 3 years ago you cannot deny that it has made huge progress and there are now more people than ever working on improving that ecosystem. e.g. finally they are getting a truly modern graphics API next month, they have gotten controller support of the steam controller and Xbone controller and others, they are getting top notch virtual reality support via HTC Vive. So yes if you want to play battlefront and COD and many others then windows or consoles are the only options still. But my point is finally Linux gaming is heading in a positive direction, which is not something you could say in the past. This doesn't mean that it will overtake windows, I am not making silly claims, it just means that it is improving.

Well this is bloody awful. AMD finally putting the nail in the coffin for Linux. Oh well. Not like I'm using Linux so i don't care much.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Focus guys! This is ONLY about a promise that wasn't kept. The outcome is the same, so the reasoning is irrelevant!

Well this is bloody awful. AMD finally putting the nail in the coffin for Linux. Oh well. Not like I'm using Linux so i don't care much.

The nail has been in the Linux coffin for years (same with Windows.) It's like the PC, no matter how many times people say it's dead it refuses to actually die.

This is entirely AMD's fault, for downright lying about the performance numbers for Linux with their new driver. Shame on them.

Linux for gaming is just a silly idea. Not only are there fewer games that run on it but the performance is severely lacking.

Surely things will get better by you keep saying it's a silly idea though. 

Food for thought: when a new console comes out with barely any games for it and games barely any better than the previous generation, do you also tell em "PS4 for gaming is  just a silly idea. Not only are there fewer games that run on it but the performance is severely lacking" as well?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Surely things will get better by you keep saying it's a silly idea though. 

Food for thought: when a new console comes out with barely any games for it and games barely any better than the previous generation, do you also tell em "PS4 for gaming is  just a silly idea. Not only are there fewer games that run on it but the performance is severely lacking" as well?

Surely! The gaming community will see this very conversation and say "Wow! I have been enlightened by Misanthrope and I see the light now!"

Food for thought? That "thought" has been around since consoles have been around. Every time a new console drops, many people don't upgrade since games haven't been released yet. That's why consoles are rated the first year by what they call "launch line-up". If you're going to try and say something profound, at least put some effort in.