AMD's Radeon Software Crimson doesn't live up to the hype on Linux

AMD's Radeon Software Crimson doesn't live up to the hype on Linux

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3008622/linux/amds-radeon-software-crimson-doesnt-live-up-to-the-hype-on-linux.html

AMD launched their new drivers the other day but apparently they didn't live up the promise made to Linux users.
Unfortunately the promised performance improvements did occur with windows but not in Linux. Phoronix (link) ran some benchmarks and found little improvement in regards to Linux games.

The Windows drivers saw some serious improvements and contain a slick new control panel. But despite promises of performance improvements for games on Linux, little has changed on open-source operating systems. These are the same old Linux drivers with some new branding.

radeon-software-crimson-linux-100630217-radeon-crimson-overview-100624924-large.

Linux still has the same old “AMD Catalyst Control Center Linux Edition” software, but it’s been renamed the “AMD Radeon Control Center.”

While Radeon Software Crimson may be a huge change on Windows, all that looks changed in the Linux side is branding. We’re still waiting for AMD’s promised new driver architecture on Linux.

Honestly I am not really surprised to see this with AMD rebranding other things in the past.....

I had hopes that AMD would pull through here, with as many people asking for more Linux support AMD failed to pull through for them. Shame on You AMD.

*edit

Just for the record I don't use Linux but I know people that do so after seeing that AMD made a promise to do this and failed; well thats not right.

Edited by SansVarnic

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Shame on You AMD.

You can't expect them to put that amount of time into something for a minority of the market right now.

How about Linux not living up to the hype? :P

This will incite riots :D

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Maybe Vulkan will change things around.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

how about thats because stuff like this? xD

linux is a circle: hardware/software support isnt there because the userbase isnt there, because hardware/software support isnt there... etc.

I agree and I use it every day.

(I can't afford a windows liscence :( )

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Best way to not get disapointed in the first place?

Don't Listen To Marketing Material!

Seriously, pc people seem to be the one group who absolutely cannot stop hyping shit by watching marketing shit. If the entire world acted like our group then fucking Dr. Oz with his "Magic fat burning pills" would be the richest man in the fucking world.

Just stop. All of you stop over hyping shit, wait for the release and then critique it like a rational human being.

the only important thing here, is that AMD improved performance however marginally on linux, be happy they at least did that for the like 1.5%% of people on linux.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

post-63986-0-02569900-1448476849.jpg

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Maybe just maybe Linux doesnt live up to gamers.

You can't expect them to put that amount of time into something for a minority of the market right now.

Linux userbase for gaming is literally within margin of error.

yes.. Im a fan of linux.. but holy shit.. all these years of linux and I didnt had any good experience with it...

how about thats because stuff like this? xD

linux is a circle: hardware/software support isnt there because the userbase isnt there, because hardware/software support isnt there... etc.

I agree and I use it every day.

(I can't afford a windows liscence :( )

Seems like I hit something :P

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Seriously, pc people seem to be the one group who absolutely cannot stop hyping shit by watching marketing shit. If the entire world acted like our group then fucking Dr. Oz with his "Magic fat burning pills" would be the richest man in the fucking world.

Just stop. All of you stop over hyping shit, wait for the release and then critique it like a rational human being.

the only important thing here, is that AMD improved performance however marginally on linux, be happy they at least did that for the like 1.5%% of people on linux.

Do not use logic to disprove our arguments!!

;)  :P  :D

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

No benchmarks?

1.5% seems generous.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

No benchmarks?

1.5% seems generous.

I rounded up. Numbers from 2015 once you remove mobile, is actually 1.47%

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Who cares about Linux users 

Arent they something like a fucking 0.00001% overall

Big deal

Come at me hipsters

If it ever comes around.

Give it some time and we shall see :P Vulkan released a couple of months after DX12 and neither of them are like properly here.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Maybe Vulkan will change things around.

Yeah. Maybe. Or maybe not. Somehow I find it hard to believe that a change of API will be a change like Jesus putting his hands on a leprosy sufferer.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Yeah. Maybe. Or maybe not. Somehow I find it hard to believe that a change of API will be a change like Jesus putting his hands on a leprosy sufferer.

I think DX12 has already proven an API is a very powerful thing. I mean it finally solves issues we are fighting for years. And microsoft being as stupid as they are and limiting DX12 support to W10 only might give Vulkan the push it needs to become the next big API.

They should not make claims they can't deliver on then.

You can't just claim double digit improvements and then release a driver that actually performs worse than the previous version.

It shows a lack of respect from AMD towards their customers.

They should not make claims they can't deliver on then.

You can't just claim double digit improvements and then release a driver that actually performs worse than the previous version.

It shows a lack of respect from AMD towards their customers.

This is the first release of the software. They got it out the door. It works for Windows.

Like I said, you can't expect them to put that amount of work for a minority of the market right now. They literally just launched the thing. Give them a little bit of time.

This is the first release of the software. They got it out the door. It works for Windows.

Like I said, you can't expect them to put that amount of work for a minority of the market right now. They literally just launched the thing. Give them a little bit of time.

I don't think you understand. AMD was specifically talking about how much of a performance boost Crimson would add to GNU/Linux, showing numbers like 112% and 155%. If they had just talked about performance boosts in general and then we ended up seeing it on Windows but not on GNU/Linux then it would have been fine, but that's not what happened. If you say "GNU/Linux users will get a 10% performance boost", and then release a driver that performs like 10% worse than the previous one, you fucked up.

How it performs on Windows is irrelevant because they AMD themselves were making a comparison with previous drivers for GNU/Linux.

If you still don't understand the issue let me make an analogy.

I am making a new shoe, okay? In my PR material I claim that my shoe makes handicapped people have an easier time to walk. I even show tests and make claims such as "55% easier for handicapped people to walk while wearing these shoes".

When the shoe is released it turns out it helps able people to walk better, but handicapped people are actually becoming more handicapped by wearing my shoes. As it turns out it actually hinders them from walking even more than regular shoes does.

Would you really come to my defense and say "it's his first shoe and it works for normal people. Just give him some time."? I don't think so. I think you would tell me to fuck off and don't put lies in my PR material.

This is not their first release either. They have been making drivers for a lot longer than this, and it is not a complete rewrite. It's just a new GUI with a regular driver update behind the scenes.

nah

also... wangan midnight or initial D?

How dare you not knowing that! =p It's the legendary AE86 from initial-D