Is it the CPU or motherboard thats dead?

I have an old HP pavilion motherboard that I wanted to use but it wont post even with an pci-e gpu installed. I can't determine if its the CPU or mobo. If you know how to test it please let me know but I have no friends with the LGA1155 socket to test the CPU. And I am aware that its an older CPU but im upgrading from a nearly 10 year old Core 2 Quad system.

Edit: Its not POSTing at all.

the issue with what may seem like motherboard problems, is that motherboard issues can literally make every device in your system seem like the problem.

the only test that makes you return positive your motherboard is a bust is when you test the entire system, and every component returns errors.

How do you know it's not the power supply ?

I am currently working to get my PC Pro etc. I also work on PCs So I have about 6 PSUs all of which I have tested with another system and works

its probably the mobo.. for cpu its rly rare to not work... check the capacitors on the cpu if they have a bulge, most common failure

the issue with what may seem like motherboard problems, is that motherboard issues can literally make every device in your system seem like the problem.

the only test that makes you return positive your motherboard is a bust is when you test the entire system, and every component returns errors.

i am sure that Beaker15 is only testing the cpu and the mobo

its probably the mobo.. for cpu its rly rare to not work... check the capacitors on the cpu if they have a bulge, most common failure

Yup no bulging capacitors and no obvious broken or missing parts

i am sure that Beaker15 is only testing the cpu and the mobo

well.. theres not much to test if you have no post at all...

Yup no bulging capacitors and no obvious broken or missing parts

bulging caps isnt really a good metric of stuff being broken, its more so a metric of "you should probably replace this"

i've had a mobo that had pretty much every cap on the thing bulging since i got it second hand, and it ran fine for another year or 2 before kicking the bucket.

its still a booter, it just smells like barbecue.

bulging caps isnt really a good metric of stuff being broken, its more so a metric of "you should probably replace this"

i've had a mobo that had pretty much every cap on the thing bulging since i got it second hand, and it ran fine for another year or 2 before kicking the bucket.

its still a booter, it just smells like barbecue.

the mobo that he has might have solid caps so there would be no obvious bulging

i aswell have had mobos that have all ulging caps and had no issues with the boards