Starting PC via Infrared?

Rheinwasser

Does anybody have experience with that? 

It does not have to be infrared, but I want to be able to start my HTPC from my couch without having to get up.

I am aware of WoL, which is not a solution to my problem for multiple reasons.

Thanks.

well, if you have some electronics knowledge, making a small piece of hardware with a relay run off of the +5sb line would be your best bet i think.

It does not have to be infrared, but I want to be able to start my HTPC from my couch without having to get up.

Thanks.

Really don't understand why WoL is an issue?

Yes you can start a PC with infrared, you just need a remote and an interface, which you can make pretty easily (maybe even buy)

Or you could just SLEEP/Hibernate, and set it in the bios that USB devices wake up the PC

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Thanks.

Why not leave it in sleep mode and set a wireless keyboard or mouse to wake it?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

its possible to make it, but you have to modify it a bit

i dont have much experince in building things so im not sure what you would need to make it

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Another possibility would be to get an wireless electrical outlet switch (like this one) and set the BIOS on your HTPC to turn on the PC when it regains power.

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

well, if you have some electronics knowledge, making a small piece of hardware with a relay run off of the +5sb line would be your best bet i think.

Really don't understand why WoL is an issue?

Yes you can start a PC with infrared, you just need a remote and an interface, which you can make pretty easily (maybe even buy)

Or you could just SLEEP/Hibernate, and set it in the bios that USB devices wake up the PC

sadly i do not have to much electrical knowledge but if one of you guys could link me a product/guide that would be awesome!

sadly i do not have to much electrical knowledge but if one of you guys could link me a product/guide that would be awesome!

my best bet would be grabbing something off the shelf that does an IR or RF connection and reverse engineer the receiving end to get a pulse out of it.

now that i think of it, i might have a quite crude solution.

theres devices you can plug between your computer and the wall, and can be turned on and off by a remote, adding to that most computers have the option to boot up after power loss... theres your solution i guess.

9413b924-5337-4082-90d0-9c449c14a605.jpg

couldnt you technically just plug an ir sensor into your mobo, where you would normally plug in the connector for the power button?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

couldnt you technically just plug an ir sensor into your mobo, where you would normally plug in the connector for the power button?

No because that would either automatically ground it (like just always holding button on) or would turn on and off just from ambient ir light let alone tv remote and etc. I've done something similar with a relay connected to the voice control module from a helicopter I picked up from walmart it's powered by the standby 5v and when I say power on or off it does each respectively,

No because that would either automatically ground it (like just always holding button on) or would turn on and off just from ambient ir light let alone tv remote and etc. I've done something similar with a relay connected to the voice control module from a helicopter I picked up from walmart it's powered by the standby 5v and when I say power on or off it does each respectively,

how about this? http://rfpcremote.com/

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

can you elaborate on that? thank you.

how about this? http://rfpcremote.com/

i'll keep that in mind, though i'd  prefer infrared. thanks mate.

can you elaborate on that? thank you.

i'll keep that in mind, though i'd  prefer infrared. thanks mate.

Yea it's pretty much the same setup as the rc switch linked but you use the guts of the voice controlled helicopter to set up relays which is what is inside that black box but in principle they are the same thing, so that's a great option for "plug and play" type usage if u understand what's in the box it's not a stretch to use the voice control version (in the rc helicopter), I don't have a link but I'm sure arduino has a kit for ir remote and and reciever relay board.well any way I hope that helps.

Side note: anyone reading this think I should start like a kickstarter type thing for voice control board kit for pc type thing or naaa lol