DIY Privacy Monitor

It wouldn't be an LMG video if something didn't go horribly wrong.

Only the desktop builds seem to go off without a hitch!

you don't even need to cut the filter if you take it apart to the bare lcd panel with the filter on.

After the first half I was sitting like "why do I have the feeling that Luke should know that if you heat the surface up, the glue will come off easier?" - then I remembered, I've seen it on Mighty Car Mods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmR8LlGkGJQ

And the association with Luke is because he referred to this channel in one of the WAN shows...

Erm... when Slick comments about how he thinks the inverter is broken, did he ever think that it could've been the liquid running out the back of the case? (I'm mainly raising the YouTube comment I saw, and since I have never done this, I can only assume that the gunk remover might contain water or another conductive liquid...) however, very interesting and may be something I do in the future, when I can get my hands on a monitor (my school's IT Services lets me have some of their old gear [but not stuff like HDDs, for obvious reasons]).

I made one myself, but the glue doesn't come off :S

It still works though.

Cool!

Can anyone explain to me how these polarizing filters work? So far I've been thinking that the pixels were showing the colors directly and I didn't know there was an additional filter on screens, and when I try to find the principle on Google, all I see is polarizing filters for cameras and I don't think that's the same thing. Do we have the same architecture on mobile phones too?

Can anyone explain to me how these polarizing filters work? So far I've been thinking that the pixels were showing the colors directly and I didn't know there was an additional filter on screens, and when I try to find the principle on Google, all I see is polarizing filters for cameras and I don't think that's the same thing. Do we have the same architecture on mobile phones too?

Each of the pixels in a display changes the angle of polarisation of its light depending on the voltage applied. When viewed through the polarising filter, the brightness of the pixel changes with the angle of polarisation. You are right in thinking that the pixels show the colours; the polarising filter is what allows for the different levels of brightness.

Phones have the same filters.

The reason the screen appears white without the filter is because all of the pixels are now at maximum brightness, regardless of the voltage applied across them.

How to create a strong password

Size does not matter; it's how you use it

Terve!
Just out of curiosity: What would happen if you did not remove the bezel? (appart from optical stuff)

There does not appear to be anything in between the filter and the outside of the screen.

Thanks already.

Sayonara!

Shame that it didn't work indeed. Not really up to the usual standard imo, even with regards to the ghetto nature. 

Also, @cesrai, good to see you're still around. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Each of the pixels in a display changes the angle of polarisation of its light depending on the voltage applied. When viewed through the polarising filter, the brightness of the pixel changes with the angle of polarisation. You are right in thinking that the pixels show the colours; the polarising filter is what allows for the different levels of brightness.

Phones have the same filters.

The reason the screen appears white without the filter is because all of the pixels are now at maximum brightness, regardless of the voltage applied across them.

Now I have two questions :

- Would this trick work on LED screens as well?

- Why are the pixels at "maximum brightness, regardless of the voltage applied across them"? How do the polarizing filters "know" how to deflect the light?

Erm... when Slick comments about how he thinks the inverter is broken, did he ever think that it could've been the liquid running out the back of the case? (I'm mainly raising the YouTube comment I saw, and since I have never done this, I can only assume that the gunk remover might contain water or another conductive liquid...) however, very interesting and may be something I do in the future, when I can get my hands on a monitor (my school's IT Services lets me have some of their old gear [but not stuff like HDDs, for obvious reasons]).

amen this stuff was actually dangerous it all starts at 09:55 he sprays way to much  it flows down the screen and then into the electronics and capacitors.. short circuit

yes those sprays are conductive!! 

Are you suggesting I do this on a $1300 monitor?  :blink:

:)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

- Why are the pixels at "maximum brightness, regardless of the voltage applied across them"? How do the polarizing filters "know" how to deflect the light?

A polarizing filter is made to block light based on the angle of polarization. Check the Wikipedia article for an explanation. 

TN panels have 2 polarizing filters in them. Between the two filters is the liquid crystal layer. First of all, the backlight shines through the first polarizing filter. Then it passes through the liquid crystal. With no voltage applied, a liquid crystal has a helix shape and will twist the light 90 degrees. It will then pass through the second polarizing filter, which filters light parallel to the first polarizing filter. Since the light is perpendicular to the polarizing filter, no light passes through and all you see is black. When you apply voltage, the liquid crystal will no longer retain its helix shape. The light will still twist, but not the full 90 degrees. As the light is not perpendicular to the polarizing filter, some of it passes through, and so you see grey. If you apply enough voltage, the liquid crystal will not twist light at all, and so all of the light passes through without twisting. This means that the light will go through the second polarizing filter completely, and you see white. By controlling the voltage, you can control the amount of twisting, which allows you to choose your grey level. In order to get the RGB color, you use 3 of them with a red, green, and blue color mask between the liquid crystal and the polarizing filter. 

Now I talked about TN panels, because I'm not too familiar with how other display technology works. IPS panels also use two polarizing filters, but the stuff that is in between the filters is different from TN. 

So what happens when you remove the second polarizing filter? Well, the second polarizing filter is blocking some of the light, so you can see shades from white to gray to black. When you remove the filter, the light is no longer being blocked and so all of it passes through. This means you end up seeing white light.

- Would this trick work on LED screens as well?

LED is a backlight technology used, not related to the polarizing filters at all. Before LED LCD screens, cold cathode fluorescent lamps (CCFL) were used for lighting LCD screens. 

it could be done also in a pretty easyer way ( not on every kind of monitor ) by opening the entire frame of the lcd pannel and whiping out directly the screen ( it no need to cut it and will be easyer to hold it completly )

Best things of thet project it´s ( if you are in those kind of stuff ) making a negative image monitor by simply flipping 180° the old filter :Dpost-289454-0-25370700-1448576638_thumb.

Well I was going to give mack weldon a try, except the promo code stopped working less than 5 days after the video was posted... Was that intentional or are they just cheap? 

I did it to mine and it looks awesome.

Can you feel the privacy yet, Mr. Krabs?

I did it to mine and it looks awesome.

attachicon.gifIMG_09931.JPG

Have you tried looking at it normally?  As in, without your head rotated 90° to the left? :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Have you tried looking at it normally?  As in, without your head rotated 90° to the left? :)

him probably just realyzed the monitor was blank whit the glasses at normal use direction than turned the glasses till got the image :D :D

I have an old monitor that has been sitting in my back room for a few months now and was thinking why not do this. 

I was just wondering if these will work for the lenses amzn.com/B004X3XFHU?

• 3 years later...
On 11/25/2015 at 2:50 AM, nicklmg said:

Amazon: http://geni.us/2BJ8

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1Te4Y6t

Do you have old displays kicking around? Want to make sure your private windows are truly private? Check this out...

What the hell?  The amazon link is not to a product, but an entire list of photo lenses in circular frames.

Could you PLEASE HELP me to get what I need for my goggles... wanna use safety goggles as s reference because I am 6'4" with a larger head and eyes than is proportionate for even my frame (which is to say, "no tiny sheets please".)