Ubuntu driver install?

Hello, I have a 10 year old laptop that I installed Linux Ubuntu on to keep it handy in case I needed it suddenly. However, when I am on it I sometimes wonder whether there are drivers to install like the graphics and what not. Do I need to install them or does Ubuntu do it for you?

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Hello, I have a 10 year old laptop that I installed Linux Ubuntu on to keep it handy in case I needed it suddenly. However, when I am on it I sometimes wonder whether there are drivers to install like the graphics and what not. Do I need to install them or does Ubuntu do it for you?

You don't really need to install drivers. Most driver software is for Windows anyway, but if you can find driver software from a reliable source then go for it.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

You don't really need to install drivers. Most driver software is for Windows anyway, but if you can find driver software from a reliable source then go for it.

What?  Drivers matter regardless of what OS you are on...

It is supposed to do it for you, but if it hasn't, you can use the driver install tool (I think the internal name is still "jockey") to display the hardware it detects that it may or may not have drivers for, and you can also then pick one and it will install it for you.

It looks something like this, and will also show drivers for wireless cards, etc. if applicable

ubuntu-saucy-nvidia-try.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Really? Sounds good but for this 10 year old dinosaur it can even play Minecraft at low with about 30 FPS. (I did not intend it for Gaming at all and that is why I have a gaming pc too, but the laptop stuff was for fun really) cheers for the help but like you said, the drivers are generally for windows so I cannot get the graphics drivers then from the HP website as the laptop origioanlly came with xp.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

You need to do it manually if you are running an older version of Ubuntu.

If you installed Ubuntu recently (v. 14 or 15), the software center makes most of the upgrading easy, but does not handle graphics drivers for the most part.

With a 10 year old laptop, I doubt that is an issue, lol.

If you need help doing manual upgrades from the Terminal window, quote this post and I'll come back to update it, but you are unlikely to need anything except security or bug upgrades on a laptop that old. :)

Folding For Linus since July 2015

You need to do it manually if you are running an older version of Ubuntu.

If you installed Ubuntu recently (v. 14 or 15), the software center makes most of the upgrading easy, but does not handle graphics drivers for the most part.

With a 10 year old laptop, I doubt that is an issue, lol.

If you need help doing manual upgrades from the Terminal window, quote this post and I'll come back to update it. :)

nah, I won't waste your time cuz the Laptop has got Ubuntu version 14 I think. Plus the laptop was just for fun and playing music to be honest. Music on souncloud plays really well with good quality too! I did not expect it.

My Rig:

Really? Sounds good but for this 10 year old dinosaur it can even play Minecraft at low with about 30 FPS. (I did not intend it for Gaming at all and that is why I have a gaming pc too, but the laptop stuff was for fun really) cheers for the help but like you said, the drivers are generally for windows so I cannot get the graphics drivers then from the HP website as the laptop origioanlly came with xp.

No, you will not be able to get any from HP, but they were never the ones making them to begin with most likely, just collecting them from the various manufacturers who did.

For example, if it has an nvidia video card, you'll have the option to go with the proprietary nvidia driver, or the open source one. Both of which are highly reputable and will be installed securely and automatically if you pick it from the list.  No hunting around mysterious backwaters on the internet :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

No, you will not be able to get any from HP, but they were never the ones making them to begin with most likely, just collecting them from the various manufacturers who did.

For example, if it has an nvidia video card, you'll have the option to go with the proprietary nvidia driver, or the open source one. Both of which are highly reputable and will be installed securely and automatically if you pick it from the list. No hunting around mysterious backwaters on the internet :)

ha ha, I have looked around in the back waters of the internet before and was lucky because I found afull version of Windows 7 Ultimate there for free!

My Rig:

To customize your settings:

- from the system menu (gear in top right window corner), open "Software and Updates"

- open the "Updates" tab

- select the options you want for viewing, downloading, and automatically updating various levels of the OS and installed software

Security Updates are important, so I display them immediately, but I don't set for automatic install because I'd rather wait until I'm done using the computer.

Folding For Linus since July 2015

To customize your settings:

- from the system menu (gear in top right window corner), open "Software and Updates"

- open the "Updates" tab

- select the options you want for viewing, downloading, and automatically updating various levels of the OS and installed software

Security Updates are important, so I display them immediately, but I don't set for automatic install because I'd rather wait until I'm done using the computer.

Cheers, I will use this as reference in the future.

My Rig:

What?  Drivers matter regardless of what OS you are on...

It is supposed to do it for you, but if it hasn't, you can use the driver install tool (I think the internal name is still "jockey") to display the hardware it detects that it may or may not have drivers for, and you can also then pick one and it will install it for you.

It looks something like this, and will also show drivers for wireless cards, etc. if applicable

-snip-

Lol if it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's why I haven't installed drivers for my wireless card or mobo. GPU drivers aren't need for MSX to work but I still install them cause GPU drivers are kinda a must most of the time.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

GPU drivers aren't need for MSX to work but I still install them cause GPU drivers are kinda a must most of the time.

You're right, it doesn't require them, but if you'd like more than 1 fps when doing anything move graphically demanding than moving a window, you should probably install them.

Please don't tell me you're confusing just accepting the stock drivers it comes with with not having any drivers at all?  Because you realize Windows 10 (and most things) come with drivers for a lot of components out of the box; just because you don't have to install them doesn't mean you're "not using drivers"

You're right, it doesn't require them, but if you'd like more than 1 fps when doing anything move graphically demanding than moving a window, you should probably install them.

Please don't tell me you're confusing just accepting the stock drivers it comes with with not having any drivers at all?  Because you realize Windows 10 (and most things) come with drivers for a lot of components out of the box; just because you don't have to install them doesn't mean you're "not using drivers"

That's true but when people say install drivers they typically mean not the default ones, so when I say no drivers at all I really mean the default ones. Anyway, like I said, Graphics drivers are a must but most others are just kinda whatever

That's true but when people say install drivers they typically mean not the default ones, so when I say no drivers at all I really mean the default ones. Anyway, like I said, Graphics drivers are a must but most others are just kinda whatever

That is a huge ***ing difference, please never say that again

That is a huge ***ing difference, please never say that again

You're blowing the difference out of proportion.

EDIT: i-can-say-whatever-the-fuck-i-want.jpg

You're blowing the difference out of proportion.

EDIT: 

Well, in one case, drivers are installed (whether they come preinstalled or are installed by the user is irrelevent) and in the other, they are not, so they literally could not be more different. 

Well, in one case, drivers are installed (whether they come preinstalled or are installed by the user is irrelevent) and in the other, they are not, so they literally could not be more different. 

What you just said makes literally no sense

What you just said makes literally no sense

You said I was exaggerating the difference between using stock drivers and not having any driver whatsoever.  I don't think I am; how could using a (stock) driver, and not having any driver be more different?  That's like saying having a million dollars or being broke isn't that different.  Having 1.2 million, now that's a big change!

You said I was exaggerating the difference between using stock drivers and not having any driver whatsoever.  I don't think I am; how could using a (stock) driver, and not having any driver be more different?  

You're right in that they're different, but they're not way different. Regardless, even if the OS has stock drivers most people say there is none, which I what I'm trying to say. Just because Windows comes with wireless drivers, I'm still gonna say I don't have any wireless drivers because I didn't install any. You're on the minority of this argument (which doesn't necessarily make you wrong) which means most people will be like whatever man.

You're right in that they're different, but they're not way different.

Having drivers and not having drivers is way different.  In one case, your hardware will function

Regardless, even if the OS has stock drivers most people say there is none,

That's because they don't know what they are talking about