Will my psu i buy in america work in my country

SmitX969

i have a question , im from south africa and im traveling to america soon and im wondering if i buy a power supply for my pc there will i be oky voltage wise if i buy a psu that is universal , because of the input difference in our country , or will i have to get an adapter, any help will be much appreciated

i have a question , im from south africa and im traveling to america soon and im wondering if i buy a power supply for my pc there will i be oky voltage wise if i buy a psu that is universal , because of the input difference in our country , or will i have to get an adapter, any help will be much appreciated

Some PSUs will, some PSUs won't. We need the specific model.

As long as you have a power connector for it you should be fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

The internals would be exactly the same.

All you would need to do is buy a cable that allows you to plug it into the mains in your country. I don't know what the standard is, but you shouldn't have too much issue with it.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

They always used to have a little red switch on them for selecting 240v or 120v, but as far as I know most detect and switch based on this automatically now so only an adapter for the shape difference should be necessary.  That said, confirm this is true of your specific model before trying it!

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

They always used to have a little red switch on them for selecting 240v or 120v, but as far as I know most detect and switch based on this automatically now so only an adapter for the shape difference should be necessary.  That said, confirm this is true of your specific model before trying it!

Most, if not all of the better, newer PSUs are auto detect, and will work out of the box with 110/120 or 220/240v, 50 or 60 Hz - read the specs.

Older or cheaper PSUs will have a 110/120v or 220/240v switch that must be put in the correct position before you turn it on.

You will, of course, need a cord that adapts the standard PC PSU plug to the South African style triangular plug.

Folding For Linus since July 2015

Dual voltage models should work anywhere in the world, as long as you have the right power type of power cable or adapter for the outlet.

This is an advantage for models like the Corsair AX1500i where in a country like the US it requires a power outlet with 15 amp circuit which is not standard for most indoor home appliance outlets.   While in European countries that use 220v it will work with indoor power outlets with standard 10 amp circuits.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

This is the model

EVGA

SuperNOVA 850

yes it will work

you just need an adapter or cable with your country's plug

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It supports 100-240V, so yes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Only power supplies with passive or no power factor correction have the red switch in the back. Power supplies with active power factor correction have no switch and work with whatever voltage given in their specified working range. You have to look at the product specifications page before determining if it will work.

Power supplies with the switch will actually use two electrolytic capacitors to double the voltage to 220V before working with the electric charge flowing.