Windows 10 Threshold 2 (November update) is back up... removed due not keeping privacy settings

GoodBytes

User on Windows 10 Build 10240 (initial release) and didn't get the Build 10525.11 as Microsoft pulled it, can now rejoice.

Microsoft announces that the update is back, and should show up soon in Windows Update for those that didn't already updated, and Media Creation Tool should get is as well, as it is back up.

When upgrading from the initial Windows 10 release to the new version, four settings (whether to allow apps to use a unique advertiser ID, which apps are allowed to run in the background, whether Smartscreen Web filtering is enabled, and whether settings sync between devices) were reverted to their defaults, as if a fresh Windows installation had been performed. While for most users this made no difference, for those who'd disabled those features previously, the upgrade would silently revert those choices.

Oddly, upgrading from Windows 7 or 8 to Windows 10 wasn't affected, and the November Update was still being rolled out over Windows Update to people upgrading from those operating systems. Only those already on Windows 10 were affected.

The big problem is that under certain setups configurations, applying Threshold 2 update didn't keep all or some Windows 10 Privacy settings.

Microsoft has fixed the problem. There could be other fixes done as well, we don't know, as Microsoft no longer gives complete update details.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/windows-10-november-update-was-pulled-for-forgetting-privacy-settings-its-now-back/

I just hate how windows 10 is turning to a more mobile device way of things and forcing things.

1. User email accounts
  2. Forced to keep Onedrive
  3. Privacy concerns
  4. Windows installed programs during updates

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

Wow, Microsoft, how'd you let that slide by? I was hoping you'd more thoroughly test updates before pushing them out.

I just hate how windows 10 is turning to a more mobile device way of things and forcing things.

1. User email accounts
  3. Privacy concerns

Me too. Keep the mobile crap to the phones and tablets please.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1. User email accounts
  3. Privacy concerns

Nearly all of which you can either ignore (local account) or disable entirely. (onedrive can be disabled, privacy can be regained somewhat with Spybot Anti-Beacon)

As for the installed programs during updates... I got nothing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

where do I check to see if my settings were reset?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Sorry but that's not how we roll.They have to treat it like mobile in order to prevent fragmentation among users and what version they're running

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

User on Windows 10 Build 10240 (initial release) and didn't get the Build 10525.11 as Microsoft pulled it, can now rejoice.

Microsoft announces that the update is back, and should show up soon in Windows Update for those that didn't already updated, and Media Creation Tool should get is as well, as it is back up.

The big problem is that under certain setups configurations, applying Threshold 2 update didn't keep all or some Windows 10 Privacy settings.

Microsoft has fixed the problem. There could be other fixes done as well, we don't know, as Microsoft no longer gives complete update details.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/11/windows-10-november-update-was-pulled-for-forgetting-privacy-settings-its-now-back/

WAIT! What did I install then? My laptop installed an update a few days ago. My desktop did also.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

where do I check to see if my settings were reset?

Just type privacy into the search bar and open the Privacy Settings app. You will find all of the settings there.

They're trying to simplify their product lineup into as little OSes as possible. Probably to make maintenance easier as they don't have to maintain three separate codebases. I mean, they kinda did lay off a buncha their programmers a while ago...

Just type privacy into the search bar and open the Privacy Settings app. You will find all of the settings there.

Dang.. like half the stuff was turned on -_-

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

They're trying to simplify their product lineup into as little OSes as possible. Probably to make maintenance easier as they don't have to maintain three separate codebases. I mean, they kinda did lay off a buncha their programmers a while ago...

I'm sure they have their reasons, but as their consumer, I'd rather not have it on my desktop OS.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Nearly all of which you can either ignore (local account) or disable entirely. (onedrive can be disabled, privacy can be regained somewhat with Spybot Anti-Beacon)

As for the installed programs during updates... I got nothing.

You do know that Spybot Anti-Beacon, does the same thing as if you go in the Settings panel and disable thing yourself. Also, the program is buggy, saying things that are not right.

While tweeting about making his windows 10 video I'm pretty sure @Barnacules ran into this very issue with security settings resetting.

All I saw from this video, is him still not going over the fact that he was laid off, with a lot of wrong information. Very sad. I don't recommend.

All I saw from this video, is him still not going over the fact that he was laid off, with a lot of wrong information. Very sad. I don't recommend.

It has turned into a running joke actually. But even if you disagree on his views because of his personal bias, the video was informative for folk who don't want telemetry or any data sent.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It has turned into a running joke actually. But even if you disagree on his views because of his personal bias, the video was informative for folk who don't want telemetry or any data sent.

I don't mind him going over the and talking about the Privacy settings. But please, have them correct. Many were not. Then using buggy Spybot tool which did nothing beside go in the Settings panels and change the privacy setting, giving the illusion that it gets you something more, is just bad.

It doesn't help the fact that he makes himself sound like he is a privacy advocate. And that is fine. But instead of using Firefox, and DuckDuckGo (uses Google, but hides who you are completely form Google), as an example of quality service and software that people who are privacy concerned, can use. He goes install/use Chrome, and then uses Bing. Like come on.

and DuckDuckGo (uses Google, but hides who you are completely form Google)

Small correction, DuckDuckGo uses their own search engine and crawlers. You're probably thinking of startpage.com.

I haven't watched his video (I don't like his style of videos) but the title is "Disable Windows 10 Spying - Privacy and Security", and the video is 35 minutes long. Are you really going to complain that he didn't make it like an hour just so he could also included a bunch of stuff related to Google? Send him a message asking him to make a video about Google if you're salty.

I don't mind him going over the and talking about the Privacy settings. But please, have them correct. Many were not. Then using buggy Spybot tool which did nothing beside go in the Settings panels and change the privacy setting, giving the illusion that it gets you something more, is just bad.

It doesn't help the fact that he makes himself sound like he is a privacy advocate. And that is fine. But instead of using Firefox, and DuckDuckGo (uses Google, but hides who you are completely form Google), as an example of quality service and software that people who are privacy concerned, can use. He goes install/use Chrome, and then uses Bing. Like come on.

I'm not gonna argue with you about this technically, but I think a former Microsoft OS developer would know and can probably do all of it with register edits and such if he wanted to make an incomprehensible video nobody can follow. But you might be right, don't know, this has gone far enough for a side point anyway let's carry on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Small correction, DuckDuckGo uses their own search engine and crawlers. You're probably thinking of startpage.com.

Ah, yes yes. Sorry.

Thanks.

I haven't watched his video (I don't like his style of videos) but the title is "Disable Windows 10 Spying - Privacy and Security", and the video is 35 minutes long. Are you really going to complain that he didn't make it like an hour just so he could also included a bunch of stuff related to Google? Send him a message asking him to make a video about Google if you're salty.

I watch his videos. I generally like them. And are generally fine. And, no. It isn't about the length. If you watch it, I think even you, would agree that he says some things that are incorrect related to privacy settings. The only 2 points I agree with him, is: local account is hidden, and Windows first startup doesn't mention all Privacy settings, nor tell you there is more at: Settings > Privacy.

The rest is along the line of: Disable Mail app in the background as it spies on you, when really it is about fetching your mail and get notification about new mail, IF you even use the Mail app, while the app is closed, with hatred in his voice, like he needs to do a revenge or something.

The rest is along the line of: Disable Mail app in the background as it spies on you, when really it is about fetching your mail and get notification about new mail, IF you even use the Mail app, while the app is closed, with hatred in his voice, like he needs to do a revenge or something.

What the actual Fudge?! he never said that! not once! the reason he disables mail, pictures, edge, xbox and store is because, and i'll quote him: "... and of course background applications, i'm going to disable all off this cause what this is saying is: allow these applications to run in the background; and these are modern applications which, again, i am not a fan of modern applications, i don't like them, if you do keep them enabled".

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>