Why do server CPU's values depreciate faster than regular CPUs?

I guess that most company's when buying server grade hardware will buy the newest available hardware. Thus maximizing the lifespan of the product, so the last gen finds itself obsolete and most "gamers" have no need for server grade gear. So companys just sell of the leftover stock for cheep, hopeing they can at least brake even.  

Consumers are still willing to buy older things because they still work completely fine for what we need them to do, not so much the same with huge mega corporations who are actually buying these new top of the line server components.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Title. While my guess is because it's obsolete for said purposes, I wanna hear your thoughts on it.

cuz they are overpriced for that they are, and thus, drop in price to what the consumer market think they are worth once the corporate market is done with them

cuz they are overpriced for that they are, and thus, drop in price to what the consumer market think they are worth once the corporate market is done with them

"Overpriced" would suggest nobody will every buy them.  They aren't overpriced, cos a HUGE majority of all servers in the world use Xeons.   Consumer market just doesn't need the features of Xeons. ECC RAM? Who cares.  Constant 100% 24/7?  Nobody really does that.  Low voltage, low clock speed but high count?  Most software consumers use are highly single threaded.  They cost more cos it's harder to make stuff that will withstand all that AND cause as little problems as it can.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I think its more to do with how companies make server hardware. Most companies still have plenty of core 2 based servers in their datacentres but none of the oems still sell that. So as the new xeons are released the previous ones are replaced in the line up. Not many people build servers from server grade components ao once dell/hp move on the value of the cpu plummets.

If you're running a large server operation, you want new hardware because that can save you thousands in energy and cooling costs with the higher power efficiency.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

supply and demand...

not many consumers have the know how to make use of ex-corporate infrastructure.

hence the demand is low for 2-4 year old server gear - where as plenty of it is being decommissioned... the rate of decommission will only increase

further in 99% of all cases its not worth the companies time to bother selling all their second hand gear and try to profit off it at the same time... most of it goes to auction in bulk lots for someone to buy to make a quick buck on.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.