is water cooling really that much better?

I'm going to be getting a i5-4690k an how much more can i overclock it with this then this and is the advantages worth the extra money?  Thanks.

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K 4.8GHz Moherboard: MSI Z97 SLI Krait Edition Memory: HyperX FURY White 24GB DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750w SSD: Crucial MX200 250GB HDDWB Blue 1TB Monitor: (2x) BenQ GL2460HM 24-Inch Case: NZXT S340 White

I'm going to be getting a i5-4690k an how much more can i overclock it with this then this and is the advantages worth the extra money? Thanks.

Well between the silicon lottery and heat you may not get much at all. Then again you could get a lot more because the heat of a water cooled system is a lot lower than that of an air cooled system. That being said, you should be able to gain a significantly higher OC with the water than air, assuming your CPU can handle it.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

it really depends if you want to overclock with air cooling though i would suggest noctua heat sink 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Overclocking results, yes. But not without drawbacks.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Well between the silicon lottery and heat you may not get much at all. Then again you could get a lot more because the heat of a water cooled system is a lot lower than that of an air cooled system. That being said, you should be able to gain a significantly higher OC with the water than air, assuming your CPU can handle it.

just saying: the cpu will get cooler but your room will heat up faster.

There's a lot of misinformation about water cooling being superior, AIO's simply really aren't.

I agree. I have an AIO and I wish I didn't. It's loud and it was expensive. However, my case doesn't fit big air coolers and it looks badass, so I guess it's a compromise.

But, generally, half-decent air cooler > liquid cooler (unless it's a custom loop)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

IMO custom water cooling is just an enthusiast thing. You can  get amazing over clocks with a D14 or similar air cooler or an aio like a x61 Kraken,h100i

Water coolers are mainly for looks and e-peen, and for squeezing the extra 10% out of your system. But they do have their advantages. I got my 2600K to 5GHz and didn't hit 70°C. Can't do that on air.

Honestly, I feel like working in my machine is easier because of the space you save. That's certainly one perk I'd shell out for. I love tinkering with my rig.

If you want silence, though, sure, a tower cooler is the best.

The main thing I like about water cooling is that the heat from the CPU is OUT of the case, and I don't need a load of fans to do it. 3. Two front intake, and one exhaust through the radiator.

Water coolers are mainly for looks and e-peen, and for squeezing the extra 10% out of your system. But they do have their advantages. I got my 2600K to 5GHz and didn't hit 70°C. Can't do that on air.

Honestly, I feel like working in my machine is easier because of the space you save. That's certainly one perk I'd shell out for. I love tinkering with my rig.

If you want silence, though, sure, a tower cooler is the best.

I have two Watercool Mo-ra 2 huge external radiators. It can handle basically any system without fans, and you still get insane temps. Yes it's expensive, yes it's not the most practical thing, but it's freaking awesome. Couldn't do that with air. 

Air cooling is great and practical, I would never buy a small AIO or something like that. But if you want absolute silence and great performance in my opinion a custom water cooling setup is a must. 

The whole point of a waterloop is to allow the moving of the heat to somewhere else so that it can be exchanged with the air more efficiently over a larger surface area. The area around a CPU socket is quite constrained, has warm air and is thus generally a bad area for trying to achieve optimal cooling. The trade off however is that the water has its own temperature over and above ambient and so its ambient cooling temperature to your CPU is lower, in effect it means watercooling only really starts to become beneficial once you go past a certain amount of thermal output which is hard for air to cool, that trade off point seems to be around 150-200W.

Once you have the heat moved you can spread it out across a nice big radiator that has slow fans and use cool air to remove the heat from the water. Thus watercooling systems can be quiet and dissipate large amounts of heat from a system. A well speced custom water loop can potentially allow you to get +200Mhz out of a CPU so long as you are willing to accept a potentially dangerous voltage, because it will give you a bit more space to the thermal limit than high end air cooling. But quite often what happens is people hit their voltage limit before the thermal one no water and choose not to push harder because there is a decent chance of damaging the CPU.

AIOs aren't speced well, they don't tend to perform much better than high end air for the most part although some of them do pretty well.

The whole point of a waterloop is to allow the moving of the heat to somewhere else so that it can be exchanged with the air more efficiently over a larger surface area. The area around a CPU socket is quite constrained, has warm air and is thus generally a bad area for trying to achieve optimal cooling. The trade off however is that the water has its own temperature over and above ambient and so its ambient cooling temperature to your CPU is lower, in effect it means watercooling only really starts to become beneficial once you go past a certain amount of thermal output which is hard for air to cool, that trade off point seems to be around 150-200W.

Once you have the heat moved you can spread it out across a nice big radiator that has slow fans and use cool air to remove the heat from the water. Thus watercooling systems can be quiet and dissipate large amounts of heat from a system. A well speced custom water loop can potentially allow you to get +200Mhz out of a CPU so long as you are willing to accept a potentially dangerous voltage, because it will give you a bit more space to the thermal limit than high end air cooling. But quite often what happens is people hit their voltage limit before the thermal one no water and choose not to push harder because there is a decent chance of damaging the CPU.

AIOs aren't speced well, they don't tend to perform much better than high end air for the most part although some of them do pretty well.

I dunno, I can run mine at stock speeds with no fans at all, just the pump, and it doesn't overheat.

Brightcandle nailed it, at least as far as I'm concerned. Since building my custom loop (d5, 280mm rad space per component) i can't really oc my cpu(4790k) any higher since i don't like pushing the voltage over 1.35 for full time use.

It does allow me to feel more comfortable running a higher OC on my gpu since my reference cooler ran pretty hot and loud but aftermarket cooled cards do much better.

I'm kinda regretting getting a custom loop to be honest. I like to tinker with my pc and that does not mix well with watercooling. I'm currently having mobo problems (maybe more, testing my 980 tonight) and I'm afraid i mightve leaked without knowing it since I've seen no water at all ever. Now I'm not even clocked much less overclocked.

@iamdarkyoshi I miss my nh-d14 haha

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q