Li-Fi Internet

Icanhazlazers

Looks like the first "real world test of Li-Fi seems to be promising"

"The Li-Fi technology used by Velmenni in the pilots is able to send data at up to 1GBps - more than 100-times faster than current Wi-Fi technologies."

Opinion: Though I am sure it still has a long way to go, this definitely could be interesting for those who have weird layouts in their house, since it is something that is more visible and be somewhat directed to the area (such as a dead zone in the house) that needs Wi-Fi. IF anything, I think it can compete and possibly offer more reliable connection when compared to Wi-Fi range extenders and maybe even Powerline adapters. That being said, something that the article did not address and is a concern for me is the distance required to get the fast speeds that they are reporting.

Source: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lifi-internet-first-real-world-usage-boasts-speed-100-times-faster-wifi-1530021

Looks like the first "real world" test of Li-Fi seems to be promising 

"The Li-Fi technology used by Velmenni in the pilots is able to send data at up to 1GBps - more than 100-times faster than current Wi-Fi technologies."

Though I am sure it still has a long way to go...

Source: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lifi-internet-first-real-world-usage-boasts-speed-100-times-faster-wifi-1530021

It's going to give everyone cancer.

Just kidding.

I would call 1GB/s more than 100x more powerful than 3Gb/s

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

It's going to give everyone cancer.

Just kidding.

You may be kidding....but I am sure they will be an article saying that is true haha.

I agree and I'm being serious

You may be kidding....but I am sure they will be an article saying that is true haha.

I can agree with these statements. Lmao

is able to send data at up to 1GBps - more than 100-times faster than current Wi-Fi technologies."

Lol what? Even if we take this to mean 1 Gbyte pre second, that means they've never seen WiFi move more than 10 Mbytes per second, which means they haven't left their cave in several years...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Lol what? Even if we take this to mean 1 Gbyte pre second, that means they've never seen WiFi move more than 10 Mbytes per second, which means they haven't left their cave in several years...

This is exactly what I thought when I read it. The click-bait title I saw on facebook about it being "promising" got me. And as I read on I was thoroughly confused. Though it is Wifi speeds not ethernet speeds

"up to"

Yeah with their light bulb probably 2 inches away from a receiver.  Bet in the real world speeds are as shitty as they are with powerline ethernet.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

"up to"

Yeah with their light bulb probably 2 inches away from a receiver.  Bet in the real world speeds are as shitty as they are with powerline ethernet.

Doh! I didnt think about the distance to the receiver, and the article doesn't mention it. I have a feeling you may be right haha.

That's a GIGABYTE. Not Gigabit. So yes, it's not a 100 times, but healthy 10 times.

It's still crap since it needs direct line of sight.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

People in Chattanooga will need this to take advantage of their new found 10 gigabit residential service lol

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Finally! A reason to move to Saskatchewan!

:P

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

That's a GIGABYTE. Not Gigabit. So yes, it's not a 100 times, but healthy 10 times.

But they claimed 100, so what WiFi are they using?  I was giving them the benefit of the doubt calling it a gigabyte.  If it's only gigabit, that means they think wifi can only go up to 1 megabyte per second... which we were beating even like 10 years ago, so...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Finally! A reason to move to Saskatchewan!

:P

For those that didn't get it, background info needed for this to be funny: Saskatchewan is stereotyped as being literally flat, like infinite distance horizon :P

Your post - while interesting - is in violation of our posting guidelines for this sub-forum.

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Our requirements can be found using this link. You have 24 hours to edit the post to comply with our rules.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Is this totally different to Wi-Fi? Or are they just changing the name of Wi-Fi but faster?

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I wonder what happens when the devices are out of LOS from each other...

Is this totally different to Wi-Fi? Or are they just changing the name of Wi-Fi but faster?

Totally different? Yes. This is using pulsing light to communicate rather than an electromagnetic field.

I wonder what happens when the devices are out of LOS from each other...

I assume they no longer connect. This could be a major improvement in security, or perhaps just a massive inconvenience. I think the plan is to use existing house lighting so you will already have an "access point" in every room though.

Totally different? Yes. This is using pulsing light to communicate rather than an electromagnetic field.

I assume they no longer connect. This could be a major improvement in security, or perhaps just a massive inconvenience. I think the plan is to use existing house lighting so you will already have an "access point" in every room though.

And that to me seems like a major limitation of the technology... The necessity to purchase multiple units in order to make the technology functional within the whole structure raises the cost of entry for using the tech...

It's a novel idea, yes, but it's very limited... to the point that I'm convinced that it can't stand without wifi alongside it...

and no, they're not planning on using existing house lighting... they're planning on releasing the "APs" in the form of special chipped lightbulbs... and this might call for higher quality LEDs as they need them to flicker/blink at very high frequencies so as not to be noticeable by the human eye (a flickering light is very annoying...)

and no, they're not planning on using existing house lighting... they're planning on releasing the "APs" in the form of special chipped lightbulbs... and this might call for higher quality LEDs as they need them to flicker/blink at very high frequencies so as not to be noticeable by the human eye (a flickering light is very annoying...)

Sorry, I wasn't clear about that last part.  Yes, I assume you will need replacement bulbs and/or receptacles, but the idea is that each existing spot you currently have in your house for a light would be an "AP" of sorts, as opposed to doing it like wi-fi where you need a dedicated piece of hardware for that (the equivalent here being an extra bulb you setup in every room for the purposes of Li-Fi)

Basically an unusable new technology,
- unless there are no obstructions blocking the ray of light, meaning useless while indoors, maybe in public open places

- the 1GB/s is waaaay overkill for any ISP connection (the highest internet speed in the world is 'only" 1 Gb/s in a very limited amount of countries) especially countries like Australia and such where 802.11g isn't even saturated.

- no (mobile) storage device has the bandwith for that kind of connection.

- like others have said: emitting light, especially at such speeds, is a real drain of energy. I guess a phone battery would be dead in 30-60 minutes of use, if it were already optimised for today's standard batteries.

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X - CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F - RAM: Neo 16 GB 3600 Mhz - GPU: 2x Sapphire Vapor X R9 290 OC in crossfire - OS SSD: Samsung Nvme SSD 256 GB Second SSD Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB - Games: RAID 0 3 x Seagate 1 TB HDD - Case: NZXT H710i - PSU: Corsair AX860i
Former Rig Picture: http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/10157-4-pc-may-2014/

for any ISP connection (the highest internet speed in the world is 'only" 1 Gb/s in a very limited amount of countries) especially countries like Australia and such where 802.11g isn't even saturated

Chatanooga Tennessee (and a neighboring town in Georgia), a town in North Carolina, and I believe Minneapolis Minnesota are all rolling out 10 gigabit residential fiber.

I'd imagine there might be 10 or more gigabit connections available in some other countries like South Korea or something as well, I have a hard time believing the fastest residential Internet in the world resides exclusively in the U.S.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

This 'Li-Fi' has a long way to go and a lot of questions to be answered, seems a bit premature to be discussing this in my opinion.