Gaming build for USD$600

​Hello everybody, i want to create my own build for USD$600, and i need some tips...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($53.55 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($41.65 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($45.80 @ Newegg)
Total: $618.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-24 14:56 EST-0500

Just the build and thanks for all answer!

For gaming it sucks.

For everything else, it will not work well for long, if at all.

The FX-8320 is not a good gaming CPU. It has poor single-threaded performance, but great multi-threaded performance. Games need both, but generally only make use of around 4 cores max now, making the FX-8320 very unsuitable for gaming.

The FX-8320 is a very high heat and high power consumption CPU. It needs great heat dissipation. The stock cooler while great as far as stock coolers go is inadequate for good performance out of the FX-8320, which requires a high overclock to get reasonable single-threaded performance. it'll still be crap compared to a good Intel architecture though.

The board you selected doesn't have good enough VRMs (voltage regulator modules) to support overclocking on the FX-8320. Maybe you can get away with it, but I wouldn't.

Dual channel ram is slightly faster than single channel. Gaming isn't really bandwidth limited though, but some of your other stuff might be and you have plenty of space on standard mobos.

Lastly and most importantly, that PSU included in the case is COMPLETE GARBAGE! DO NOT USE IT! EVER! You'd put your entire system at risk of frying and maybe worse.

Basically that build is bad from a performance standpoint and a disaster waiting to happen as well. Do NOT buy it.

Ok thanks for your constructive answer

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CKKHCJ

This modified version of your build saves you a dollar and provides you with a 550W 80+Bronze PSU from XFX(quality PSU manufacturer, as is Seasonic) thus giving you more wattage and more quality.

I also provided you with dual channel RAM which was mentioned earlier. 

And when the quality improvements are said and done you are left with LESS money spent because of the discounts!

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

Hey guys, after a ton of upgrades to my laptops I have decided to go with a system that is not a pain in the butt to upgrade and that I can learn the ropes on.

This is my first desktop build and I would appreciate any feedback on what I can do better or what I am done big completely wrong. Thanks guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8b9G99

This build is geared more towards gaming, but I'm not planning on going crazy with it. I would like a build that will wow me. That's not hard to do since my dinosaur of a Mac can't get basic games over medium settings.

Hey guys, after a ton of upgrades to my laptops I have decided to go with a system that is not a pain in the butt to upgrade and that I can learn the ropes on.

This is my first desktop build and I would appreciate any feedback on what I can do better or what I am done big completely wrong. Thanks guys

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8b9G99

This build is geared more towards gaming, but I'm not planning on going crazy with it. I would like a build that will wow me. That's not hard to do since my dinosaur of a Mac can't get basic games over medium settings.

This would be much better for gaming.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MY2VkL

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/MY2VkL/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($68.00 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380X 4GB NITRO Video Card  ($233.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case  ($46.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($47.60 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $636.53

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 11:40 EST-0500

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

I have one in my signature ill link it, @EllieThePurpleFuzzy 's doesnt look bad though 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($33.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 380 4GB PCS+ Video Card ($193.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H24 ATX Mid Tower Case ($22.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($85.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $628.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-23 13:17 EST-0500

I would recommend going 380, since the 380x is only marginally better for a higher cost, and you also didn't factor in the price of windows :P

I also generally recommend going SSD, then adding a HDD when you can, so you don't have to deal with a slow operating system and you can add on painlessly in the future

*edit* didn't see this was an old thread, my bad 

For gaming it sucks.

For everything else, it will not work well for long, if at all.

The FX-8320 is not a good gaming CPU. It has poor single-threaded performance, but great multi-threaded performance. Games need both, but generally only make use of around 4 cores max now, making the FX-8320 very unsuitable for gaming.

The FX-8320 is a very high heat and high power consumption CPU. It needs great heat dissipation. The stock cooler while great as far as stock coolers go is inadequate for good performance out of the FX-8320, which requires a high overclock to get reasonable single-threaded performance. it'll still be crap compared to a good Intel architecture though.

The board you selected doesn't have good enough VRMs (voltage regulator modules) to support overclocking on the FX-8320. Maybe you can get away with it, but I wouldn't.

Dual channel ram is slightly faster than single channel. Gaming isn't really bandwidth limited though, but some of your other stuff might be and you have plenty of space on standard mobos.

Lastly and most importantly, that PSU included in the case is COMPLETE GARBAGE! DO NOT USE IT! EVER! You'd put your entire system at risk of frying and maybe worse.

Basically that build is bad from a performance standpoint and a disaster waiting to happen as well. Do NOT buy it.

Lol, the FX is fine for gaming and definitly the kind of gaming this guy wishes to do for $600. I have it on my main editing/gaming rig and I have never seen the CPU bottleneck performance.

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($68.20 @ SuperBiiz) 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($199.99 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: XFX TS 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $620.11

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-26 12:30 EST-0500

​Hello everybody, i want to create my own build for USD$600, and i need some tips...

It depends how much you care about future proofing. If you do want future-proofing, then go for Intel, although AMD will give you a lot more performance for a budget build if you do not care about future proofing, since Intel does that better.

I highly recommend you use the NZXT Source 210. Its a fantastic case for only $40 and its comes in both black and white.

For the CPU I would recommend an APU, the AMD A10 Godavari is the best, and will run a lot of games at 1080p without a dedicated GPU

Since this is a non-future proofing parts list I am putting together, the motherboard only need to be good enough to support the components that are being put into it. I would recommend the MSI A6HM-E33. Its not pretty, but it will get the job done along with overclocking capability for only $50.

G. Skill RAM is well priced and just works, so going for a single G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB stick is a solid option and allows you to upgrade to 16GB.

Going for an SSD and then later adding an HHD for mass storage is a good option, and I would recommend going for a Kingston 240GB, which is cheap and I have had good experience with Kingston SSD's.

For any build a cheap-o PSU leads to many headaches, so you should go for a solid one. Antec PSU's are my personal favorite(I have one in my main build) and are reasonably priced. The Antec HCG is a solid option and will ensure you don't have any power problems.

Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 is a solid option and will get the job done.

The total comes out to $515. The leftover money could be used to purchase a keyboard and mouse if you do not already have one. If you do not have a monitor or OS, your going to need a little more money. If you could expand your budget just a little more, you could buy a GPU and I would recommend the EVGA or Asus 750 TI. Its a fantastic entry level card and I have used it myself, its performance is absolutely amazing and it would do even better with an APU in there. If this doesn't fit your needs very well, check out Linus's 2015 Holdiay Buyers Guide here.

This would be much better for gaming.

Thanks, is there a specific reason it's better for gaming? Was my build overkill, underpowered, or just mismatched?

thanks for the feedback! I do appreciate it.

Lol, the FX is fine for gaming and definitly the kind of gaming this guy wishes to do for $600. I have it on my main editing/gaming rig and I have never seen the CPU bottleneck performance.

No, it's really not.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-amd-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming-2015-edition/

There's tons of benchmarks showing that in most games even a lowly haswell i3 performs better than an FX-8350 (and usually even the 9590). Check the thread for full info. AMD FX CPUs are not suited for gaming. Plus, with the current costs of the Xeon E3 1231 V3 and a cheap board, they're beginning to be outclassed by Intel in price to multi-threaded performance there as well due to the platform costs of the high TDP chip.

No, it's really not.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-amd-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming-2015-edition/

There's tons of benchmarks showing that in most games even a lowly haswell i3 performs better than an FX-8350 (and usually even the 9590). Check the thread for full info. AMD FX CPUs are not suited for gaming. Plus, with the current costs of the Xeon E3 1231 V3 and a cheap board, they're beginning to be outclassed by Intel in price to multi-threaded performance there as well due to the platform costs of the high TDP chip.

2liylmw.png

Crysis3-CPU.png

It really depends on the game, the resolution, the GPU, and other components. Sometimes an i3 will perform better in a game(this is not a "lowly" i3 either) but most of the time the FX will perform much better and it is very close, and there is no comparison for multi-tasking. Most games will perform better on the FX, just go look at some charts on google of it running different games, and for when it doesn't, its performance as a workstation CPU make up for that, since many people do other things than gaming on their PC(or else they would be a console gamer). And of course, the i7 an sometime the higher-end i5's does both gaming and multi tasking even better, but keep in mind that the FX 8350 is only $140 when on sale.