Did i damage my CPU?

Guest shotgun10ga
Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

And thats the temp where the cpu saves itself?

Yes, there is a sensor switch built into the processor itself where, it will trigger when the cpu reaches that limit. Did you damage your cpu? Probably not, but still best to install a heatsink before using it, although I did run my cpu a Xeon E3 1225 v3 without a heatsink as well, just to see how much their cpu have improved with handling heat, before thermal shutdown. I was surprise, that it would even let me finish installing Windows and updates. With my old Pentium D, it must have a heatsink cause thermal shutdown kicks in within a few seconds of turn on. A cpu rarely dies, it's either work or don't work. If it boots up then it's fine.

and just before all that happens the system will just shut down.

No... Not always.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Without a cooler? Heck no. No amount of throttling would cool it enough since it's replying on the IHS to dissipate heat. That's an extremely small surface area compared to even a Hyper 212 EVO. The heat soak would be immense. 

The system would shut down before the heat soak happens

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

No... Not always.

What do i check for one i get my cooler for my cpu in aida 64 cpu stress test? What do i look for?

and just before all that happens the system will just shut down.

Except you still have the heat built up with nowhere to go. Just because it will shut down does not mean it is safe.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

You can't run a stress test without a posting system. 

All you can do is pray to Lord Gaben.

MY system posts.....

MY system posts.....

Then dont touch it.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Then dont touch it.

So its fine?

MY system posts.....

Doesn't matter. If you don't have a heatsink, don't run the system.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

What do i check for one i get my cooler for my cpu in aida 64 cpu stress test? What do i look for?

That the system still runs.

That the system still runs.

So its a matter of if the system turns on and posts, its 100% fine?

What happened after you said it was 87c in bios then probs went over 100c when loading windows? Did the pc just turn off by it's self? did it freeze up then shut off? Have you tried to boot it up since?

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

Except you still have the heat built up with nowhere to go. Just because it will shut down does not mean it is safe.

Never stated this was safe, just what will happen.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

What happened after you said it was 87c in bios then probs went over 100c when loading windows? Did the pc just turn off by it's self? did it freeze up then shut off? Have you tried to boot it up since?

I have tried many times and the screen goes on with the mobo logo, and it posts. So am i fine?

The pc never froze or locked up. so does that mean it never exeeded the max range for the cpu to handle? besause i turned it off my self

I have tried many times and the screen goes on with the mobo logo, and it posts. So am i fine?

if it hasn't froze, shut off or crashed in the bios at any time at all you may have gotten away with it, you'll only fully know once you boot into windows after you install the heat sink and start trying to actually do something if it even gets that far at all

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

According to Intel, thermal shutdown does not happen until the cpu reaches 130C.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

if it hasn't froze, shut off or crashed in the bios at any time at all you may have gotten away with it, you'll only fully know once you boot into windows after you install the heat sink and start trying to actually do something if it even gets that far at all

With a heat sink of course

According to Intel, thermal shutdown does not happen until the cpu reaches 130C.

The pc never froze or locked up. so does that mean it never exeeded the max range for the cpu to handle? besause i turned it off my self

you might have got away with it to be honest, it sounds ok from what you've said so all you can do is wait and see, on the other hand if it locked up and refused to even turn on or artifacted like crazy or any other crazy shit you would of been screwed

you might have got away with it to be honest, it sounds ok from what you've said so all you can do is wait and see, on the other hand if it locked up and refused to even turn on or artifacted like crazy or any other crazy shit you would of been screwed

Thanks, if it does not work well will intel cover it if i make a little white lie?

Thanks, if it does not work well will intel cover it if i make a little white lie?

I'd do some research on their RMA policy before hand to see if you can speak to them about it truthfully otherwise it's your call whether you wanna spend another $300+ for a silly mistake or try and bs to cover your ass and i'm not condoning the latter

Yup. You could RMA it becasue it is a 'faulty' processor.

Heck people send completely dead/delidded chips back to Intel and get the RMA approved. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Yes, there is a sensor switch built into the processor itself where, it will trigger when the cpu reaches that limit. Did you damage your cpu? Probably not, but still best to install a heatsink before using it, although I did run my cpu a Xeon E3 1225 v3 without a heatsink as well, just to see how much their cpu have improved with handling heat, before thermal shutdown. I was surprise, that it would even let me finish installing Windows and updates. With my old Pentium D, it must have a heatsink cause thermal shutdown kicks in within a few seconds of turn on. A cpu rarely dies, it's either work or don't work. If it boots up then it's fine.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Thanks, so if it posts the cpu is totally fine?

Thanks, so if it posts the cpu is totally fine?

Yes, it most likely fine.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!