Did i damage my CPU?

Guest shotgun10ga
Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

And thats the temp where the cpu saves itself?

Yes, there is a sensor switch built into the processor itself where, it will trigger when the cpu reaches that limit. Did you damage your cpu? Probably not, but still best to install a heatsink before using it, although I did run my cpu a Xeon E3 1225 v3 without a heatsink as well, just to see how much their cpu have improved with handling heat, before thermal shutdown. I was surprise, that it would even let me finish installing Windows and updates. With my old Pentium D, it must have a heatsink cause thermal shutdown kicks in within a few seconds of turn on. A cpu rarely dies, it's either work or don't work. If it boots up then it's fine.

Doesn't work until past a certain temp.. It would have passed that temp in seconds.

well it never shut down......

WHAT ABOUT THAT AUTO SHUTDOWN?

Stop asking about that! Turn off the system and don't turn it on until you get a heatsink on it...

Holy shit... You shouldn't be let within 20 feet of a PC at this point.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

well it never shut down......

RIP

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Stop asking about that! Turn off the system and don't turn it on until you get a heatsink on it...

how do i know if i damaged it no one knows?

As harsh as this is. he is 100% correct. DO NOT TURN THAT PC ON WITH NO HEATSINK.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

still waiting on it

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My goodness fella, what ever breakfast meal you had this morning was laced with Rx DERP! The CPU is fine but i am sure at this point it is feeling as if he is in a neglected home. PUT THE BLOODY CPU COOLER ON.......NOW!!!

What do you mean? Put on the stock heatsink before you kill the processor!

It won't get killed from the heat as it has thermal throttling.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Can i use aida 64 extreme stabilitity test? And what do i look for during the test,

shotgun10ga, on 24 Nov 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

This is a second post and sorry to the mods i just want some strait up awnsers about this,

So basically i put my 4790k CPU in the tray, it dropped into place from like 1 1/2 cm high. Did i hurt it? I also was stupid and i turned the PC on for 2 minutes with out a cooler thinking it would not cause damage. i removed the CPU and put it in again and now it says windows failed to start. but i can get into bios.    how do i chack to make sure i didnt damage my cpu

i saw the temp at 87c  in the bios. and when i tried to load windows it probably went over 100c.

So all i am asking is for steps to make sure my cpu and mobo is not damaged......  

If the computer makes it past POST then it WORKS!

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Read the thread...

I want to run a sttress test. I will use aida 64 stability test on the cpu. What do i look for? what are the signs?

Can i use aida 64 extreme stabilitity test? And what do i look for during the test,

When you get a heatsink.

I want to run a sttress test. I will use aida 64 stability test on the cpu. What do i look for? what are the signs?

Don't run a fucking stress test without a cooler! Stop!

I cant even look at this thread anymore. 

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Actually without a heatsink it can be killed from heat. Without the heatsink to absorb and dissipate the excess heat it will "soak" into the CPU die. This can cause it to fail in a variety of ways from developing microfissures to cracking outright.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Don't run a fucking stress test without a cooler! Stop!

Obviously, i am going to wait!!!  But what do i look for. What are the signs that the cpu is damagd?

Obviously, i am going to wait!!!  But what do i look for. What are the signs that the cpu is damagd?

Right now, wait for the cooler and if the thing even powers up you better be on your knees thanking the lord. Now until you get a cooler, find your nearest church and pray...

I think we all need to take a moment and pray for that cpu. Let us hope that it will forgive his master for this act of torture. Amen. 

Edit: @ and you can't without being able to post the system. So good luck mate! 

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

Doesnt the cpu automatically shutdown when it gets to hot.

Doesnt the cpu automatically shutdown when it gets to hot.

NOOOOOOOOOO

NOT LIKE THAT IT WONT, CPUS THERMAL THROTTLE FOR THE MOST PART. probably wont shutdown, it will get warmer and warmer, then fry it self.......

what on earth were you thinking!!!!!

go to your closest recycle place and look for old pcs, find a old cooler and even if you have to, just hold it in place on the cpu....

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

Without a cooler? Heck no. No amount of throttling would cool it enough since it's replying on the IHS to dissipate heat. That's an extremely small surface area compared to even a Hyper 212 EVO. The heat soak would be immense. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

HOW DO I CHECK FOR ERROS IN AIDA 64 stability test???

Actually without a heatsink it can be killed from heat. Without the heatsink to absorb and dissipate the excess heat it will "soak" into the CPU die. This can cause it to fail in a variety of ways from developing microfissures to cracking outright.

and just before all that happens the system will just shut down.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

THIS DUDE IS HOPELESS

HOW DO I CHECK FOR ERROS IN AIDA 64 stability test???

You can't run a stress test without a posting system. 

All you can do is pray to Lord Gaben.