Did i damage my CPU?

Guest shotgun10ga
Go to solution Solved by NumLock21,

And thats the temp where the cpu saves itself?

Yes, there is a sensor switch built into the processor itself where, it will trigger when the cpu reaches that limit. Did you damage your cpu? Probably not, but still best to install a heatsink before using it, although I did run my cpu a Xeon E3 1225 v3 without a heatsink as well, just to see how much their cpu have improved with handling heat, before thermal shutdown. I was surprise, that it would even let me finish installing Windows and updates. With my old Pentium D, it must have a heatsink cause thermal shutdown kicks in within a few seconds of turn on. A cpu rarely dies, it's either work or don't work. If it boots up then it's fine.

This is a second post and sorry to the mods i just want some strait up awnsers about this,

So basically i put my 4790k CPU in the tray, it dropped into place from like 1 1/2 cm high. Did i hurt it? I also was stupid and i turned the PC on for 2 minutes with out a cooler thinking it would not cause damage. i removed the CPU and put it in again and now it says windows failed to start. but i can get into bios.    how do i chack to make sure i didnt damage my cpu

i saw the temp at 87c  in the bios. and when i tried to load windows it probably went over 100c.

So all i am asking is for steps to make sure my cpu and mobo is not damaged......  

As long as there aren't any bent pins in the CPU socket your processor and motherboard are probably fine.

Windows could fail to boot for a variety of reasons.

Sig under construction.

Did you install the heatsink?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

As long as there aren't any bent pins in the CPU socket your processor and motherboard are probably fine.

Windows could fail to boot for a variety of reasons.

What about that temp though. 100c?

Did you install the heatsink?

still waiting on it

What about that temp though. 100c?

Did you install the heatsink? Did you plug the heatsink fan in?

Sig under construction.

still waiting on it

What do you mean? Put on the stock heatsink before you kill the processor!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Doesnt the cpu automatically shutdown when it gets to hot.

i dont have stock heat sink i have an aio cooler waiting on the rma

Put a heatsink on it! Do you want to kill your chip? 

Don't just run the CPU without some kind of thermal dissipater, that's how you destroy components. 

Put a heatsink on it! Do you want to kill your chip? 

Don't just run the CPU without some kind of thermal dissipater, that's how you destroy components. 

If you dont have a cooler, do NOT POWER ON THAT SYSTEM. HOLY HELL! GAHHH!!!!!!

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Hopefully. Don't try it, anyway. 

If your CPU is turning off because of heat, its been hot for at least 20" degrees to long.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

If you dont have a cooler, do NOT POWER ON THAT SYSTEM. HOLY HELL! GAHHH!!!!!!

I'm cringing so hard right now!

I suggest being patient until you have a cooler unless you have a stock cooler lying around, Otherwise RIP if you turn it on tbh

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

That's not the point running it without a heatsink will overheat in a matter of seconds

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.4GHZ  GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ 1446Mhz +35mV  MB: MSI Z87 GD65 GAMING Custom Matte Black Painted Chipset and VRM Heatsinks  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB CL8 (1600MHZ)  CPU Cooler: Full Custom PETG loop with HardwLabs Black Ice Rads 1x280mm 1x360mm, EKWB CPU Acetal Nickel GPU Block  SSD: SanDisk ULTRA II 480GB HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Blue  PSU: Corsair AX760 80+PLATINUM with Black Cable Mods Singular Sleeved Cables  Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 3 Intake 3 Exhaust Notcua NF-A14 LTT EDITION  Mouse: Logitech G502 1750DPI Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire TK MX Blue Monitor: BENQ XL2411T 144HZ Headset : Logitech G430 7.1 Case Fans: LTT EDITION Noctuas 4 x 140mm & 2x 120mm all with white Chromax Anti-vibration pads Mouse Pad: Cooler Master CM Storm Speed-RX M

I'm cringing so hard right now!

My inner geek is crying inside me right now. Such Cringe.

Someone buy that chip from them before they kill it. This is a hostage situation at this point. 4790K lives matter

I think the hostage has been tortured. :(

You could've just permanently damaged your CPU by letting it run without a heatsink... They heat up ridiculously fast.

Really fast is an understatement.

i dont have stock heat sink

Why? Did you get rid of it? 

You should always have the stock cooler on hand. Sure you can't do any meaningful overclock but at least there's a cooler on it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

WHAT ABOUT THAT AUTO SHUTDOWN?