Alternatives to GoPro?

Nonco

Ive been looking at GoPro's recently for a ski trip.

Essentially all I really need/want is like 1080p @60fps which offers the same features as a GoPro (Waterproof ect)

Are there any other good alternatives to look at?

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Ive been looking at GoPro's recently for a ski trip.

Essentially all I really need/want is like 1080p @60fps which offers the same features as a GoPro (Waterproof ect)

Are there any other good alternatives to look at?

the next best thing imo would be Sony Action Cams http://www.sony.com.ph/electronics/action-cam/t/action-cam

edit: I linked to a PH specific site here's a int'l site http://www.sony.com/electronics/action-camera

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

The Sony action cam is the only decent alternative. Garmin, Monoprice, and other make action cams with similar features to the Go Pro, but it would be slightly larger than the Go Pro.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Xiaomi Yi maybe?

this! the Yi is not quite as good as the latest model go pro, but its easily as good as the last gen models and is dirt cheap - you need to buy a  waterproof case but they are cheap

alternatively, the Sony action cameras are fantastic and some models are nice and cheap

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

SJCAM 4000

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

Some alternatives include Sony FDR-X1000V, Sony HDR-AZ1VR, Eyeshot HD Action, and JVC GC-XA2.

this! the Yi is not quite as good as the latest model go pro, but its easily as good as the last gen models and is dirt cheap - you need to buy a  waterproof case but they are cheap

alternatively, the Sony action cameras are fantastic and some models are nice and cheap

Is the Yi water resistant without a case? I'm thinking of getting one if they ever go on deep discount again (apparently were $50 last week for prime members). 

I want an action cam for on top of my camera (hotshoe). I have a sony, but they are "long" versus wide - so my head bumps the camera a little. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Is the Yi water resistant without a case? I'm thinking of getting one if they ever go on deep discount again (apparently were $50 last week for prime members). 

I want an action cam for on top of my camera (hotshoe). I have a sony, but they are "long" versus wide - so my head bumps the camera a little. 

I doubt it, even the GoPro requires a case. You can also treat the waterproof housing case for these cameras as sort of a shield against other types of damage.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

No, the Yi doesn't include a water resistant case, although you can buy one.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.